Reliability of 03/04 Cobras now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
reliability?

after 73k miles... I've had several sets of rear tires.. MANY oil changes, MANY fuel filter changes, and many plug changes... the car is washed 1-2 a week and vacuumed often.. stock clutch, stock ORIGINAL battery, and stock original alternator... none of which have been changed. I've been over 500rwhp for over half, if not 3/4ths the miles I've had my car. I've changed the front and rear brakes ONCE since I've owned the car. my car was stock maybe the first 5000 miles...

you do the routine maintenance and show a little tender, love, and care, she'll take care of you.

I drive approx. 30 miles each day, plus or minus about 10 miles... EVERYDAY... best thing I do to my car is drive it.

djtyau

Established Member
60,000 miles here and I have had it for four years. The only issue I had since owning the car was the alternator and a clutch cable broke. Now of course when you get bit by the mod bug that is where the money comes into play. I have installed a Whipple, subframes, springs, 26 spline, CF clutch, 60lb injectors, LFP heat exchanger, killer chiller, etc.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
This car is pretty good but i'm glad i don't DD the thing anymore. Again, this is a Ford so it's not going to be quiet or nice like a Toyota or something.

Redwing

Established Member
My yellow vert was purchased new Sept 1 04. I just turned over 80,000 km (50,000 miles). My 04 has been the most reliable car I've ever had. No warranty claims, no problems whatever. I've replaced the brake pads once, the front tires once, and the back tires for the second time.
I have a pulley, CAI, a tune, and Borla catbacks.
I've done a couple of autocrosses, and about 15 drag race passes.
Original clutch, rotors, belts, no trouble at all.
I amd a contractor, so it's been on construction sites, driven in the rain, sun, wind, cold, heat. No snow though. It sleeps from November to April.
Would I buy another? No. I'm going to be buried in this car.

12secgt

Established Member
If you live close to any sort of metropolitan area you can have your alternater rebuilt for $80. Just ask around. I just helped a friend in our club with a Terminator whose alt. failed....at 36,000 miles....replace his. Of course he had a 4lb lower so he was spinning the guts out of his and was lucky it lasted as long as it did. It sounds by your sig that your lower is stock so the alt isn't spinning any faster so it was definitely a flat out early demise. He got it rebuilt for $80 and it wasn't any kind of friend deal. That is of course exactly what Advance is selling you so don't go there.
Maybe the extra effort idlers put more strain on the alt bearings. Another friend of ours had a stock 03 that had 72,000 miles on the stock alt when he sold the car and it was still running like a champ.
Go figure.:shrug:

I'm sending it tomorrow to be rebuilt.:thumbsup: I work in a garage and don't really trust Advance electrical parts just the only place open saturday to call and check price. Hopefully have it back next week and back on the road.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I've only had mine for about 3k miles, but it's been perfect so far. Pretty much everything has been said so far. It's only as reliable as you allow it to be. If you beat on it constantly without letting it get up to temperature, do tons of high speed runs, it isn't gonna be that reliable. On the other hand, if you take care of it it'll take care of you. You just have to think about costs like synthetic oil changes, which most people do, premium fuel, and tuning if you mod it. Dyno time gets expensive if you change pulleys. In the end, I've never been more happy with a car. Having a reliable car that will blow the doors off most cars on the road is a great feeling.

+58k and I drive mine in the winter. Maintenance is expensive IMHO. I dropped nearly a $1k for a Spec 3+ clutch and flywheel at about 45k. The car still has a lot of annoying rattles I'm in the process of eliminating and the front suspension has gotten much sloppier since 42k. I'm having the ball joints and front tie rods looked at neck week and having the alum steering rack bushings installed. I hate the cars some days but when the weather gets cooler and the exhaust gets louder...well lets just say I love her more and more each day.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
My yellow vert was purchased new Sept 1 04. I just turned over 80,000 km (50,000 miles). My 04 has been the most reliable car I've ever had. No warranty claims, no problems whatever. I've replaced the brake pads once, the front tires once, and the back tires for the second time.
I have a pulley, CAI, a tune, and Borla catbacks.
I've done a couple of autocrosses, and about 15 drag race passes.
Original clutch, rotors, belts, no trouble at all.
I amd a contractor, so it's been on construction sites, driven in the rain, sun, wind, cold, heat. No snow though. It sleeps from November to April.
Would I buy another? No. I'm going to be buried in this car.

:rockon:

04Cobra931

Mine has 52,000 and the alternator died last night. Pain in the ass to get off and Advance wants $209 for it.

Amazon. Have had the same one for nearly 2 yeara now no problems. I was scared to order. But cheaper. And have had no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread