Releaving the fuel pressure.

d-nice

Established Member
I'm going to change the fuel filter and was wondering. If I have the car on and press the fuel cutoff switch so the car dies from lack of fuel, is this bad for the engine?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Just let it sit for a while,or bleed it from the schraeder valve on the right front fuel rail.

metaman

Established Member
I'm going to change the fuel filter and was wondering. If I have the car on and press the fuel cutoff switch so the car dies from lack of fuel, is this bad for the engine?

It wont harm the engine. However, these cars only hold fuel pressure when keyed on. If you have the key turned off then all you have to do is relieve the pressure at the fuel rail like he said.

cbr repsol

Established Member

yes the inertia switch on the drivers side in the trunk . It takes quite a few minutes for it to die out.

bubblehead93

Established Member
It wont harm the engine. However, these cars only hold fuel pressure when keyed on. If you have the key turned off then all you have to do is relieve the pressure at the fuel rail like he said.

in these returnless systems there is very rarely any substantive pressure in the lines if the car has been off for any length of time. you get residual fuel out of the line but very little, if any pressure. waste of time running the car with fuel pump relay pulled/inertia switch tripped.

now if we are talking a return style system then you might want to bleed pressure first.

d-nice

Established Member
Thanks. I will probable back it up on ramps and let it side overnight before I change it out next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread