Reichard Racing Mishap ~ Not Very Pleased!

I'D WIN

Established Member
Bad news ...

Long story short is that I installed some RR idlers on the engine block to work with the drive belt. One in which that I learned later on that did not rotate evenly so during a cruise last weekend, I heard a dreadful loud noise and big clank... almost like a rod or plug going.

Fearing the worse, I stop, pull over, and start looking under the truck for any fluids. Fortunately there were no fluids but there it was, one of the RR idlers laying on the ground that I had just installed.

So, I get to thinking, how the f*ck did this happen. I pop the hood and start looking around only to find that the left engine cast mount where the idler was mounted to had snapped right off. :nono:

Looking at everything more closely, I noticed that the spacer that goes on the front side of the idler was not drilled straight and was offset causing the pulley to rotate unevenly. :nonono:

Therefore, it snapped the casting stud right off the block and now I can't attach anything. :bs:

Can you say not a happy camper.

I tested the idler on a MP idler mount and sure enough, it doesn't rotate properly for chit. Of course, the brace is a lot stronger and just incase, I didn't leave it on there long enough to break anything else.

I've tried calling Jim several times with absolutely NO response. I've emailed him 3x, again, NO response.

I've uploaded a few photo's for you all to see~

:shrug: :mj: :cuss: :mj: :shrug:

http://www.putfile.com/album/192987

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
holy crap dude!
you didnt notice any play when you first installed it and started it up? hope he makes it right...

I'D WIN

Established Member
I would have noticed it if the pulley sat higher in the engine compartment. Down below its hard to tell.

Otherwise, no play and installed/tightened up just fine.

I am not sure what RR is going to do. Its cast so I am not sure there is a solution to the problem without replacing the block/transferring all my internals over.

We are going to try a few things but number one, its not an easy to get to spot, and number two, it will take some grinding and finding something to fit inside the pulley just perfect. The casting on the block is all tore up and uneven now plus the threads have been stretched.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Bummer bro. I never would have thought something so simple could cause something so catastrophic.

I'D WIN

Established Member
Me either but when your rotating something at such a high RPM, the movement becomes more pronounced and may cause more damage. Luckily the block casting around the area is not harmed. ~from what I can see.

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Established Member
Where was that idler located at? That really sucks Martin. Keep tryign to get ahold of him to get it resolved. That should be very easy to tell if it was warped, or improperly drilled/cnc'd or if it happend to the idler another way, thus proving it was that part's fault. Stan

I'D WIN

Established Member
The idler was installed on the accessory belt. The idler was mounted on the front left side of the motor.

You can definitely tell the spacer was drilled incorrectly and off-centered.

You can still see the cross-milling marks on the spacer.

LightningClint

Every Last DETAIL
Established Member
Martin if its on the acc belt cant you just replace the front cover (timing cover) and be all set? They dont mount to the block itself. I have an extra here if you need it.

I'D WIN

Established Member
Yeah I know...I realized that after playing around under the hood but hopefully the threads on the block are okay because on the front mount they are shot.

Gonna try to see if we can build up the area and build a heavy duty mount or I will remove everything and replace the front timing cover as a last result.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I hope they at least refund you for the pulley Martin. At least a new front cover is easy to come by and pretty cheap although a PITA to swap.

I'D WIN

Established Member
That is what I was thinking DG.

Bob, I was thinking the same thing. Granted, that nearly isn't enough to cover labor and fabrication (if necessary).

Sucks either way.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Take some good pics of where it broke off also if you can, he's probably going to want to see them. My RR blower pulley broke clean in half about a month ago and I had a bit of trouble getting ahold of him also. But he seems like he's going to make it right and sent me a new pulley. Just email him the pics and be patient, he should take care of it.

I'D WIN

Established Member
I plan on it. Hopefully everything works out. Although two mishaps on a completely different scale, atleast he finally came through for you.

Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread