Reenlistment troubles

Too40gawlf

Banned
I was just talking to a buddy of mine who is going back to DLI to learn Farsi. My reenlistment NCO actually offered it to me, and from the research I've been doing, it seems to be easier to learn than Russian. Especially the grammar, which is half the battle of tackling a new language lol. You wouldn't believe how complicated Russian grammar is...It'll make you want to shoot yourself. I'm really considering Farsi at the moment. Plus it comes with a nice bonus. I don't have the natural tongue for languages like some of my peers do, but I do bust my ass of in class and that pays off...eventually

If I was single, or just didn't have kids I'd do this. But I'd have to find some sort of full time job while going to school...

Farsi is a money maker. Go for it, especially on the Army's dime. Farsi is from the Aryan language family and has a lot of shocking commonalities with english. I wouldnt say its an easy language to learn, but its more intuitive than others.

Honestly, given the circumstances, you'ld be a fool to pass up Farsi and a stint at DLI.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Farsi is tougher than it seems. Learning the structure and grammar isn't that bad (especially compared to Arabic), but the actual spoken language is way different than what you learn in the textbooks. They pretty much throw their own rules out the window. I passed the DLPT and still struggle with listening to it.

It's worth a shot though. As an added bonus, if you pass Farsi you can take a short Afghan Dari conversion course and DLPT in that for some extra FLP pay.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Farsi is tougher than it seems. Learning the structure and grammar isn't that bad (especially compared to Arabic), but the actual spoken language is way different than what you learn in the textbooks. They pretty much throw their own rules out the window. I passed the DLPT and still struggle with listening to it.

It's worth a shot though. As an added bonus, if you pass Farsi you can take a short Afghan Dari conversion course and DLPT in that for some extra FLP pay.

I actually thought Farsi was easier than Arabic. Arabic requires way too much throat noise to get it right. Farsi is more flowing IMO.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Well I took a week to think about it, and it looks like aviation will never happen. I made the automatic promotion list against my wishes, so Farsi looks like one of the few doors open to me. I called today to say that it's what I want to do and guess what...transition period between retention NCO's lol. Another 2 weeks before anything will happen.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Bring me back a Compagno's sandwich please. #2 with bacon and tomatoes on ciabatta bread. God I miss that place

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Amazing if you like golfing lol. Ft Gordon has the largest and top-rated golf course on any military base. And there's the Master's of course, they have an annual drawing for cheap tickets for military folks. If you don't care for that there's several thousand acres worth of hunting grounds. Good number of AITers running around but they rarely get in the way. Augusta itself is pretty boring but there are several big cities within a couple of hours and we're right on the border with SC. Property is really cheap too. I've only been here since March though so that's all I've got.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
if you can learn laguages ... take one that is in demand ... Farsi, Arabic, Urdu, Pashto they are the languages that are going to be in demand for quite sometime

Good advice here^^^. Get ahold of the DLAB practice test. You need to knock out a 105 or higher(waivers for 95) to get accepted into 35P Crypto linguist. Must qualify for a TS clearance as well so no law violation higher than traffic infractions. Good luck:beer:

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Good advice here^^^. Get ahold of the DLAB practice test. You need to knock out a 105 or higher(waivers for 95) to get accepted into 35P Crypto linguist. Must qualify for a TS clearance as well so no law violation higher than traffic infractions. Good luck:beer:

I'm already a 35P just might switch languages

Users who are viewing this thread