Reenlistment troubles

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I'm now trying to reup for the 3rd time...First time I was trying to make the switch over to aviation and be a Blackhawk mechanic and the try to make it to crewchief. Then I tried reenlisting to be a UAV operator. Now I'm on my last option...going back to DLI to learn another language. I really didn't want to do this, but it looks like I might get the language I wanted the first time around. And it's the most stable option to keep a roof over my family. Anybody else have problems reenlisting and trying to switch your MOS? First packed got kicked because they went from under manned to balanced, second due to budget cuts( a lot of orders got deferred too from what I'm told).

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
I wasnt able to reenlist at all because of the ninja punch I had taken. In fact the career planner laughed and said well we can try.. yea :X

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Another round at DLI (especially as prior service instead of TRADOC/AETC slave) would be pretty sweet. More FLP too

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
When you say 3rd time reenlisting do you mean your Charlie Zone or your 3rd attempt at re-uping for your first enlistment. I assume its your first bc you are attempting to change MOS and you are Army yes? Its going to be tough to get any job you want with the way the military is cutting back right now. Have you thought of SFAS?

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Another round at DLI (especially as prior service instead of TRADOC/AETC slave) would be pretty sweet. More FLP too

I've heard it's better the second time around

My bad, my 3rd attempt to reup. Yes Army. No SF for this guy lol. I've heard it's too taxing on the family.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
There are always job openings within the combat arms branches. But to each their own. The promotion rate if any has to be slow as hell in that language line of work.

GL

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I've been out of the USMC for 9 years but I had a hell of a time trying to switch MOS. In the end I took it as a sign it was time to go and got out after 4. Seems to be the case with every branch and the Marines I talk to now say it's harder just to re-up in the same MOS. How much time is left on your contract? I'd start hitting up the job fairs if I were you. Staying in just might not be in the cards for you.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My ETS is MAR13. I still have some time, but I'm getting antsy now.

Did you mean MAR14?

try Special Forces. Good money and bonuses plus we are getting back to the roots of SF. The kinetic operations will go away but the world needs to be trained how to keep Americans from dying on their lands. We train them to kill, fight and sometimes die for their own countries!

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Did you mean MAR14?

try Special Forces. Good money and bonuses plus we are getting back to the roots of SF. The kinetic operations will go away but the world needs to be trained how to keep Americans from dying on their lands. We train them to kill, fight and sometimes die for their own countries!

Haha whoops. Yeah MAR14. I had filled out a packet to go to group, and if I liked it I'd request to go through selection, but after talking it over with the wife, I requested my packet be pulled. Just not the best thing for my family, and I talked to a few guys who were either prior or currently SF. They all pretty much said the same thing...if you want to stay married and keep your family in tact stay away from SF lol. I actually just got off the phone with my retention NCO and my only options are to reenlist in my current MOS or find something in the BEAR program...

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
My ETS is MAR13. I still have some time, but I'm getting antsy now.

I totally understand the feeling. You're going from a guaranteed paycheck to having to pretty much start over.

Now I don't know your whole mentality, but based off what you've posted it seems like you don't want to stay in the military at all. You just don't want to get out and start over.

Let's say you stay in another 4 and get apprehensive about getting out the last year, now you're back where you were before when you reenlisted the first time. It's not logical, and will only make things harder because you'll be older which translates into not establishing a career.

You have almost a year to come up with something. If getting a job fails you can sign up the last day of your enlistment. I've seen it happen. It's really not that hard to transition. Instead of going on vacations save your leave so you can go to interviews and job fairs. There's tons of jobs out there. I still get openings for really good paying positions sent to me almost daily from folks seeking only veterans. You just have to commit to it. Plenty of guys have got out and made it.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I'm not going to vouch for you since I've never met you and have a "no business with friends or family" policy but I think you should go look at Apache Oil Co's career portal. There's a whole section for veterans.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Thanks I'll check it out :beer: I really would like to stay in, just don't really like the MOS that I'm in
if you can learn laguages ... take one that is in demand ... Farsi, Arabic, Urdu, Pashto they are the languages that are going to be in demand for quite sometime

Richter888

Established Member
if you can learn laguages ... take one that is in demand ... Farsi, Arabic, Urdu, Pashto they are the languages that are going to be in demand for quite sometime

This is good advice. I seriously thought about doing this. I however after looking at our 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits, have decided that going to college for an EE degree would be a much better decision.

I am still relatively young. 6 years AF and going back to school. I have no major debt but a car payment, and even that is small.

Have you thought about taking advantage of the GI bill? Something to think about. Basically the first 3 years of school is free if you live right. Hard to beat it.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member

I was just talking to a buddy of mine who is going back to DLI to learn Farsi. My reenlistment NCO actually offered it to me, and from the research I've been doing, it seems to be easier to learn than Russian. Especially the grammar, which is half the battle of tackling a new language lol. You wouldn't believe how complicated Russian grammar is...It'll make you want to shoot yourself. I'm really considering Farsi at the moment. Plus it comes with a nice bonus. I don't have the natural tongue for languages like some of my peers do, but I do bust my ass of in class and that pays off...eventually

This is good advice. I seriously thought about doing this. I however after looking at our 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits, have decided that going to college for an EE degree would be a much better decision.

I am still relatively young. 6 years AF and going back to school. I have no major debt but a car payment, and even that is small.

Have you thought about taking advantage of the GI bill? Something to think about. Basically the first 3 years of school is free if you live right. Hard to beat it.

If I was single, or just didn't have kids I'd do this. But I'd have to find some sort of full time job while going to school...

Last edited:

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Just an update for anybody tracking along, I'm just waiting a month or two to see if the in/out calls change. After talking to my reenlistment NCO she encouraged me to take a break from trying to find something that will fit. She said to wait it out a bit and see if anything that I REALLY want to reup for becomes available before I just settle for something that I really don't want just to stay in.

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
I think the advice that your retention NCO gave you is pretty sound. Just don't wait too long because when all this cut-back nonsense first started there were guys who were not allowed to re-up in their current MOS (even 11B) guys solely because the unit had already let their capped amount of people for the post re-up.

I wouldn't put too much weight into the whole "If you value your marriage" crap. Your marriage is what you make of it. Sacrifice is sacrifice no matter how you slice it. People say the same thing about anything that's REALLY worth doing that will progress you past the people next to you. Anyone else in here been a Drill Sergeant or Drill Instructor? I did it for an extra year even because it was good for my family to be stable for the extra time. The last thing you want to hear from your spouse is that they are resentful because they are sacrificing their "Normal" life so you can excel in your career and you aren't putting the same effort in as they are.

Users who are viewing this thread