Reducing Wheel Spin..1/8 Mile Track

War Eagle

Established Member
Guys,

What is the best way to reduce wheel spin (stock tires) and still get the best time on a 1/8 mile strip. The problem with the 1/8 mile track is that we have a V-6 mustang beating GT's because he has no wheel spin at the start. By the time the GTs get going the race is over. This will be the first day on the track for my Shelby. Have run my SS Chevelles in the past (1/4 mile) but the GT 500 is a different animal.

Headed to the track this afternoon and am mulling over some "best practices".
I am considering a 2nd gear start and it may be the best answer.

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
You gotta have good tires first off. M&H's or MT's at least Nittto's

Roll into the water box, do a clean off, quick spin and relase brake to come to the outside edge of the water box. Make sure tires are wet!!!!!! Second gear burnout until smoke bellows!

Def. not a second gear start! Find the best launch Rpm by starting low and increasing rpm until the car doesn't bog. Dont push your foot all the way down to the floor with the clutch. When tripping the pre and deep stg bulbs ease the clutch pedal up to the point where it starts to grab.(friction point) As the car ease's into the prestage bulb gently appy pressure to the pedal and see the cars point of friction. Then slowly release the pedal to deep stg. then as the car slowly pulls to deep stg. slightly add pressure to the pedal so your at the frictin point of the clutch. This is where your pedal should be for launching the car. If you have good tires I'd start @ 3000rpms! Good luck!

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Stock tires are a waste. If you're completely stock, you can try leaving the traction control on. Any power adders just overcome the control and you still spin.

War Eagle

Established Member
What a great day!!

Our Mustang club spent the day at the strip running our cars and enjoying the noise and smells of the drag strip.

I am not a serious racer and just went out for the afternoon to have fun with the guys.

It was my first time on a track in 40 years so I took it easy on all of the runs.

I had very little tire spin coming off as the track was really good. I skipped the water and went straight to the line.

MY best "snail" time was 8.8 for the 1/8 mile and I really never pushed the car, and never smoked the tires. What a blast, everyone had fun and enjoyed the camraderie. The regular GTs were turning 8.9 to 9.5 but they were running all out. Next time out I will have some better tires and open her up a little more.

Thanks for the responses,

Steve

War Eagle

Established Member
Best was 8.8 and 87 mph, worse was 9.5 and 78.29. My reaction time stinks worse was .73160.

There were a couple of cars that were turning 111 to 115 MPH in the 1/8 mile. Heck they were running everything out there today including a 4 door BMW and one guy in a Chrysler 300. It really was a fun day.

I made all of my runs solo with no one in the lane next to me as I was being really cautious my first time out with the car and it has been a long time since I was on the track.

Our club had one really good race between a member driving his Bullit Mustang against a 1970 SS Chevelle and he beat him but it was close. Ed's Bullit turned an 8.9 to win that race.

Steve

RedfireWhipple

Established Member
** RDSNK One of the best writings/descriptions I've read to date.. This is EXACTLY what I have done for years.

Everyone needs to remember these cars are heavy and the tq comes on so fast it makes for a very hard car to launch.

As stated in an earlier post--- get some tires... at least Nitto dr's.. Do they exact routine just described. Only diff I have done is that I do not roll through the waterbox with my front tires. I go around the box and then back into it. I'm just a little paranoid about rolling through with all 4 tires.. I'm always thinking I'll have water on the front tires and guess what follows the front tires....

I know many see the pro guys and others do it with all 4 but keep in mind they are usually doing large burnouts past the starting line e.t.c.. I still think Logic wins on this one and if you can garuntee that you won't have any wet surface in front of you just be going around it and backing into --why not? :)

When you start to move forward--steadily and kinda quickly (not stomping the accelerator to the floor immediately) keep pressing on the gas until it is floored. Maybe in about 2 tenths of a second. But if you try to mat it immediately--you will most likely go up in a blaze. Remember, you are transferring weight. That's all. Transfer it smoothly;y as possible. The car is NOT set up to handle the suspension being shocked nor does it have the tires to handle the tq that quickly.

Using this technique I have launched the Cobra (about 200 lbs light er yes but still relatively a heavy car) consistently in LOW 1.60's on Hoosier DR's in a car that went consistent 10.70's with 600 rwhp. No weight saving on car at all and pump gas 93 octane, stock suspension other than Kennybrown springs which made it "harder" to launch than stock.

You can do it you just need practice. Oh, don't think you have to/need to rev the rpms past 3000. You don't if it's done properly. Your clutch, rearend, drive shaft, e.t.c. will thank you. :beer:

You gotta have good tires first off. M&H's or MT's at least Nittto's

Roll into the water box, do a clean off, quick spin and relase brake to come to the outside edge of the water box. Make sure tires are wet!!!!!! Second gear burnout until smoke bellows!

Def. not a second gear start! Find the best launch Rpm by starting low and increasing rpm until the car doesn't bog. Dont push your foot all the way down to the floor with the clutch. When tripping the pre and deep stg bulbs ease the clutch pedal up to the point where it starts to grab.(friction point) As the car ease's into the prestage bulb gently appy pressure to the pedal and see the cars point of friction. Then slowly release the pedal to deep stg. then as the car slowly pulls to deep stg. slightly add pressure to the pedal so your at the frictin point of the clutch. This is where your pedal should be for launching the car. If you have good tires I'd start @ 3000rpms! Good luck!

rdsnk46

Established Member
** RDSNK One of the best writings/descriptions I've read to date.. This is EXACTLY what I have done for years.

Everyone needs to remember these cars are heavy and the tq comes on so fast it makes for a very hard car to launch.

As stated in an earlier post--- get some tires... at least Nitto dr's.. Do they exact routine just described. Only diff I have done is that I do not roll through the waterbox with my front tires. I go around the box and then back into it. I'm just a little paranoid about rolling through with all 4 tires.. I'm always thinking I'll have water on the front tires and guess what follows the front tires....

I know many see the pro guys and others do it with all 4 but keep in mind they are usually doing large burnouts past the starting line e.t.c.. I still think Logic wins on this one and if you can garuntee that you won't have any wet surface in front of you just be going around it and backing into --why not? :)

When you start to move forward--steadily and kinda quickly (not stomping the accelerator to the floor immediately) keep pressing on the gas until it is floored. Maybe in about 2 tenths of a second. But if you try to mat it immediately--you will most likely go up in a blaze. Remember, you are transferring weight. That's all. Transfer it smoothly;y as possible. The car is NOT set up to handle the suspension being shocked nor does it have the tires to handle the tq that quickly.

Using this technique I have launched the Cobra (about 200 lbs light er yes but still relatively a heavy car) consistently in LOW 1.60's on Hoosier DR's in a car that went consistent 10.70's with 600 rwhp. No weight saving on car at all and pump gas 93 octane, stock suspension other than Kennybrown springs which made it "harder" to launch than stock.

You can do it you just need practice. Oh, don't think you have to/need to rev the rpms past 3000. You don't if it's done properly. Your clutch, rearend, drive shaft, e.t.c. will thank you. :beer:

I cut a 1.54 60' with M&H DR's average is low 1.6's!:coolman: I forgot I have skinnys so the water is not a prob for me! LOL!

Last edited:

Subzero

Established Member
I agree with Rdsnk46! Practice is all it takes. I have been in the 7.40's on the stock tires. See below.

scan0001.gif

Users who are viewing this thread