Recommended sparkplugs?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Well I've always used tr6 at .030 from a pulley tune which i believe i did .035 to a tvs to a whipple. Never any issues an change them yearly with the oil and everything else. Strap mark looks perfect, the real question is how long do you plan on leaving them in the car? If the answer is several years then yeah i would go with $100 plugs. I might try the tr7x this year just to see if there's a difference. If your drag racing every weekend i would do frequent changes regardless of plug choice.

pridemore54

Established Member
I plan on replacing them yearly. I think I'm going with Brisk Racing this time around and then I may try the tr7x's next year. I only go to the strip once or twice a year (the closest is about 3 hours away) so most of the miles are spent going to car shows or nice weekends.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Brisk makes a good plug though i admit ive yet to personally use them.

NGK makes a hell of a plug

VNMOUS1

Established Member
My tuner told me the tr7ix was incorrect for my 18-20lb cammed tvs application and recommended the ngk br7ef to me. Anybody else run this plug? I never had any problems with the tr7ix at all. Don't hear allot about the br7ef plug
I know a guy who tunes GT500s (and who wrote that article about spark plugs). He has a 18psi cammed TVS. Runs either TR7-IX or Brisk Racing GR12YS. Either at 026. Seems to work ok.
7e60ee71fb8816e172994aed3d5d3227.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

fullboogie

Established Member
Don't listen to that guy above. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Acts like he works at VMP or something...

Bad Company

Established Member
The only negative thing I've heard about the Brisk plugs is if you do experience detonation the porcelain is prone to cracking. Which may drop a piece off into the engine. TR7-IX will be my choice

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
His tuner is definitely not "incorrect." BR7EF's are absolutely the right plug for that set up. Yes the 7EF and 7IX are both heat range 7, one step colder than stock, but Iridium plugs aren't always the best choice. Both will work and both can be considered "correct."

I run BR7EF's, have for a while now with no issues. I've run Iridium plugs, Platinum plugs and Copper plugs of all different types. When you start making a lot of power with boosted applications, you're going to want to change the plugs more often regardless of what they're made of. I chose to stick with the BR7EF's since they perform very well and are cheap to replace. The 7EF's that are in my car now actually replaced IX's and there is ZERO difference in noticeable drive-ability.

RBB

Established Member
His tuner is definitely not "incorrect." BR7EF's are absolutely the right plug for that set up. Yes the 7EF and 7IX are both heat range 7, one step colder than stock, but Iridium plugs aren't always the best choice. Both will work and both can be considered "correct."

I run BR7EF's, have for a while now with no issues. I've run Iridium plugs, Platinum plugs and Copper plugs of all different types. When you start making a lot of power with boosted applications, you're going to want to change the plugs more often regardless of what they're made of. I chose to stick with the BR7EF's since they perform very well and are cheap to replace. The 7EF's that are in my car now actually replaced IX's and there is ZERO difference in noticeable drive-ability.
That was exactly my point. These plugs are the same heat range. If his tuner told him the 7ix is "incorrect" for his application, that is a false statement. He can run either one.

Users who are viewing this thread