Recommendations: shorty header & CAI

Fordflo

2012 F-150 HARLEY DAVIDSON
Established Member
Hello y’all

thinking Kooks shorty headers, anyone have experience with them...x or h pipe and why?

looking for nice loud sound on a 6.2L Ford F-150...which exhaust set-up for sound hp and torque...no long tubes...

borla
Flows
Kooks
???

thanks all

charlie

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Why no longtubes? Not sure how restrictive the 6.2s are but shorty headers usually don't yield much power improvement over the stock manifolds.

Of what you listed, Kooks is probably the best.

Fordflo

Established Member
Aren’t shorty headers good for low to mid range torque and long tubes good for high rpm...my truck is going to be daily driver, what about CAI

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Aren’t shorty headers good for low to mid range torque and long tubes good for high rpm...my truck is going to be daily driver, what about CAI

Short makes great hp, but you do lose a little down low unless you're boosting.

For Max torque, full long tubes with an X. Tone is subjective, but H pipes typically sound a lot less raspy and a little deeper. X pipes are raspy, but produce the best power due to both banks scavenging from the Single chamber.

If you want power and more traditional muscle car tone long tubes and an H pipe.

As for "cold air" intakes, I'd leave the stock assembly in there. Anything you buy wont result in more power that's noticeable. I'd only worry about cold airs if you want the look, or you decide to run nitrous. If you throw a supercharger or turbos on there, use what's recommended for those kits at that time.

Last edited:

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
LT headers will provide the best gain in low to mid-range torque, while still giving high rpm horsepower.

I would go with a H-pipe. This will also improve low to mid-range torque, without a negative impact to high rpm horsepower.

I say this from personal experience doing same day, back to back dyno testing H vs X pipes on a push rod Ford V8 with LT headers. The H pipe was 20 lbs. ft. better from 2000 rpm to about 3200 rpm. After that, they were the same to 6000 rpm. HP was also a bit better down low, but were basically the same to 6000 rpm.

The H pipe also gives a muscle car sound, unlike the higher pitch rasp of the X.

Add a Flowmaster, something like the 40 series, to the mix and you'll have the sound that you are after.

Last edited:

Fordflo

Established Member
So for now, I replaced the stock exhaust system and went with a TRUE DUAL exhaust set-up with the SUPER 44 Flowmaster dual in dual out and an H-PIPE...maybe in near future the longtubes and CAI...

truck sounds night and day from stock to upgraded Flowmaster tue dual set-up...wow...thanks for the tips everyone

LT headers will provide the best gain in low to mid-range torque, while still giving high rpm horsepower.

I would go with a H-pipe. This will also improve low to mid-range torque, without a negative impact to high rpm horsepower.

I say this from personal experience doing same day, back to back dyno testing H vs X pipes on a push rod Ford V8 with LT headers. The H pipe was 20 lbs. ft. better from 2000 rpm to about 3200 rpm. After that, they were the same to 6000 rpm. HP was also a bit better down low, but were basically the same to 6000 rpm.

The H pipe also gives a muscle car sound, unlike the higher pitch rasp of the X.

Add a Flowmaster, something like the 40 series, to the mix and you'll have the sound that you are after.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Does sound like you've found a combo that you like.....for now. ;)

Enjoy the truck!

Users who are viewing this thread