Recommend me a good code reader gents!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Ive need a code reader for ever and my wife totally got shafted at the local ford store becaus well...she is a woman who doesnt speak car and i found waaay to many holes in the service writers story...(i was a service writer at that very story before i was Nurse)

Anyway...whats a good code reader these days?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
How much are you willing to spend?

I was looking at Autel's a while back, it seems like they are decent value. I need something that can do calibrations/data logging every now and then. I think they start in the $500 range and go up from there.

If you are looking for something that will just read simple codes, there are a decent amount of apps out there, you could spend $20 on a bluetooth dongle and hook your phone up.

patc84

Established Member
if you have a sct or diablosport tuner from a different vehicle, you can use that to scan the car.

otherwise like a generic HF should suffice.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
All depends on what you want to use it for. Please be specific on how you want to use it and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
is it just for Fords? If so and you have a laptop run the free version of Forscan with the cable on amazon for around $30. Forscan is a hell of a diagnostic tool, even on older Fords that dont have a bunch of BCM stuff you can play with

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
If it’s just for reading and clearing codes go with a cheap Bluetooth dongle and an app like Torque. That’s what I use for my mine and have never had any issues.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Have this really simple Actron for the past 12-14 years, still works great. Reads and clears codes. Think I paid ~$50.

It's saved me a bunch of money.

The current models probably give you a lot more, detailed info for the same price.

1649177188543.jpeg

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Mostly fords

Just reading and clearing codes, if it has some other cool diag stuff thats fine too

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I bought this a few years ago to replace an older one. No issues at all.
Damn Amazon link didn't post.

ANCEL AD310 Classic Enhanced Universal OBD II Scanner Car Engine Fault Code Reader CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool-Black Ignition Testers​

hotcobra03

Established Member
I had gotten the Bosch 1350,
Was orielys best at the time,

I choose this because it did some ford commands

It scans
It will do engine running tests
It datalogs
It does abs/air bag
Test starting/charging system,
And turns off oil change light on some models

However I've found on other models it doesn't cover abs,

It may just need an update to firmware

Cost was 350 at that time
About 5yrs ago

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I've had the older version of this one (not a color screen) for about 10 years. Does everything I would need it to do. Reads codes, live reading etc
KONNWEI KW850 Professional OBD2 Scanner Auto Code Reader Diagnostic Check Engine Light Scan Tool for OBD II Cars After 1996(Original)

TheOne™

Established Member
I bought an obd link mx to be able to read & write with forscan. that will read most if not all the modules on a ford. Although i think you could find a cheaper 1 but ive never had issues with mine.

it has access to the ABS pump if you need to do a full brake bleed.

Last edited:

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have an Autel MD808 Pro. It does everything I need it to, which I'm guessing is about 1% of what it's capable of.

I also use Forscan, but mostly to make changes to stuff. If you're just pulling and clearing codes, you could use Forscan lite on a mobile device.

Users who are viewing this thread