Recommend me a car

SHOdown220

Established Member
After a deer totaled my DD it’s time to find a replacement. Wrong time to buy a car but what are you doing to do.

Here’s the deal. 90 miles round trip for work so I would prefer 30+ highway mpg, comfortable and reliable. 4 door preferred as I have kids that ride in my car very occasionally (no more than 1 trip 15 miles a week) but could probably deal with a 2 door. Manual transmission is a must unless I truly can’t find one. New or lightly used.

The most important factor is I want it to be fun. Been leaning towards picking up another focus ST but the prices seem to be outrageous on them. So far these have crossed my mind… focus/fiesta st, civic SI, Elantra N, veloster N, eco boost mustang, etc.

Budget is low to mid 30s, for new or low mileage used.

What you guys have in mind??

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Honda Accord's with the 2.0T are fun.

Nissan Altima/Maxima with a 6 speed and V6 could do

Can't think of anything American at all.

SHOdown220

Established Member

I have considered these just skeptical of owning anything german outside of warranty lol.

Honda Accord's with the 2.0T are fun.

Nissan Altima/Maxima with a 6 speed and V6 could do

Can't think of anything American at all.

These are fun, I currently have one in my driveway as a rental. Would still prefer the manual which is next to impossible to find.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
90 miles a day in a Fiesta ST sounds painful. lol Maybe if you skip the Recaros... I start to ache after 30min in ours, but it has the seats. Compared the the Fiesta, I found the Focus ST/RS much more comfortable even with the Recaros. Focus ST with a "stage 1" tune netted me over 30mpg too.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The new 2023 Honda Accord is a attractive re-design, but no manual transmission. You'd have to go with a Civic for that, as far as I know. It's really very difficult to find cars with a manual transmission. The majority are automatics now. The Honda Civic Si with the 6-speed and 1.5L turbo (200hp) is nice. $30K. The Civic Si is rated at 27 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway.

2023 Honda Civic Si

2023 Honda Accord
2023-honda-accord-rear-three-quarters-red-1667945447.jpg

2023-honda-accord-hybrid-interior-2-1668017865.jpg

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Elantra N is the go-to car right now. People are raving about them. They have a shit ton of features for the price along with being able to track the thing in stock form.

If you could ever live with an auto.....2017+ Fusion Sport. 2.7L Ecoboost, AWD and 4 doors. My wife's Edge Sport when tuned was a rocketship. Just mind blowing how hard that thing left from a dig. Remove 800lbs off it and i cannot fathom how quick a Fusion Sport would be with a tune and intercooler.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

SHOdown220

Established Member
What are FoST going for nowadays?

In my area at least, it seems mid mileage cars are fetching around 20k, which seems ridiculous to me considering I paid 24k for mine when it was new.

90 miles a day in a Fiesta ST sounds painful. lol Maybe if you skip the Recaros... I start to ache after 30min in ours, but it has the seats. Compared the the Fiesta, I found the Focus ST/RS much more comfortable even with the Recaros. Focus ST with a "stage 1" tune netted me over 30mpg too.

I haven't driven a fiesta but was comfortable for long trips in my FoST, I did not have recaros in mine though.

Mazda 3 AWD with the 2.5 turbo. Torquey as hell, handles fantastic, economical, looks great. You can get it in 4 door sedan or hatch.

Never even considered a mazda, thanks for the info I'll check it out.

The new 2023 Honda Accord is a attractive re-design, but no manual transmission. You'd have to go with a Civic for that, as far as I know. It's really very difficult to find cars with a manual transmission. The majority are automatics now. The Honda Civic Si with the 6-speed and 1.5L turbo (200hp) is nice. $30K. The Civic Si is rated at 27 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway.

2023 Honda Civic Si

2023 Honda Accord
2023-honda-accord-rear-three-quarters-red-1667945447.jpg

2023-honda-accord-hybrid-interior-2-1668017865.jpg

My salesman at my work said we have a new SI coming in mid january that I'm kinda looking into. It fits the bill although I wish it was more powerful. I have heard they are putting down more than what they should be and maybe honda is underrating them.

Elantra N is the go-to car right now. People are raving about them. They have a shit ton of features for the price along with being able to track the thing in stock form.

If you could ever live with an auto.....2017+ Fusion Sport. 2.7L Ecoboost, AWD and 4 doors. My wife's Edge Sport when tuned was a rocketship. Just mind blowing how hard that thing left from a dig. Remove 800lbs off it and i cannot fathom how quick a Fusion Sport would be with a tune and intercooler.

I sat in an Elantra N at the auto show a few weeks ago and really liked it, they seem impossible to find though, especially in the manual. Still keeping an eye out I would like to drive one. Fusion sport is a good choice if I decide to go auto!

Definitely some fun manuals in your price range. I would just throw an extended warranty on to protect yourself. I had an ecoboost mustang, unless you are short, the rear seats are for decoration.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've always loved the focus RS!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, the common complaint with the Civic Si is that it needs at least another 50hp or so. Other than that, it's a nice sedan.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
If it were my money with those requirements, going new, a Civic Si. The Integra A-Spec is the same car, but nicer interior, but not sure if the niceness is worth the extra $7000. The Elantra N gets great reviews, but it's a little rough to look at. It splits the difference in price.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Lol yeah Kia or Hyundai if you want your car stolen.

Something Honda or Mazda if it were my $$

bglf83

Established Member
Jetta GLI, older Elantra Sport, Kia Forte GT.

Jetta GLI is pretty nice.

I put 130k on our first Jetta and our current Jetta has 100k on it.

They are good cars, I would not worry about warranty as long as you maintain the car.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I can second the Mazda 3 recommendation as it would seem to fit. If you go AWD it is auto only. I owned a 3 PPTurbo and it was a great car but it doesnt compare to my Focus RS. The RS is my choice but they are older and the ride is not the best for long trips, but man are they a holligan car. They are fun.

Users who are viewing this thread