Recommend A Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
My motherboard fried in my old laptop and I need another one asap and dont really have time to do research or spend time looking around. $699 is my limit. Would appreciate any suggestions, and my only preference is something with a large screen. It will always be plugged in so battery life doesn't really matter.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Don't go with Apple. It's shit. It's also $1000 for a shit Macbook with an i3. Go with either Dell, HP, or Lenovo. Intel Core i5 6th gen, 8gb of ram, and 1tb hard drive can be had for around $500

If you want to upgrade the RAM to 16gb, make sure that the laptop has an available RAM slot, and isn't a pain in the ass to open up. Buy something with a door for the RAM if you are going in that direction.

Screen size is up to you. 15.6 inch is standard. 17 inch you may pay like $629+

Last edited:

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
I recommend the kind that you spend about half as much on for twice the performance especially since you said it will be plugged in all the time. I think they are called desktops though.

http://www.newegg.com/DIY-PC-SuperCombos/PromotionStore/ID-33?name=DIY-Super-Combos

second this. Newegg and put in your cost limit into the filter, and pick the best one available. I have also had a good experience with their refurbs, which is even more bang for the buck if you're fortunate enough to find a really good one for dirt cheap.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do you need portability? If not, I agree with focusing on a desktop if it's going to be plugged in all the time. Easier to repair, too. You can also get an inexpensive screen that is 19" or larger. Just a thought.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
CNET gives some good reviews, plus you can Google best laptops for $700.And posts 4 and 5. Good Luck.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Honestly, at that price point you can't really go wrong with any of the major name brands (Acer, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus etc.)

But I do agree with others that you should get a desktop, even a basic one, if you're going to be plugged in 100% of the time.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
Honestly, at that price point you can't really go wrong with any of the major name brands (Acer, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus etc.)

But I do agree with others that you should get a desktop, even a basic one, if you're going to be plugged in 100% of the time.

While I agree with this, if OP has even a minimal risk of needing to take it somewhere on travel/vacay, then he should go laptop, as long as the primary use is for internet access, email, utility, and not graphics intensive.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I bought a used macbook pro for $550 and love it. I had 2 laptops crash and burn even w virus protection so i gave up and went mac. No Ragratss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
I bought a used macbook pro for $550 and love it. I had 2 laptops crash and burn even w virus protection so i gave up and went mac. No Ragratss

Same. I know this forum is generally anti-mac, but I got fed up with Windows and went all Mac. Macbook Air with a student coupon was ~700 bucks and is a fantastic laptop, however, not really what you are after. I use the higher end mac mini for a desktop and love it too.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
macs: for people that don't know how to PC.

They are only great if your sole purpose is internetting and looking at media (movies, pictures).

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

Interesting. I don't run virus protection other than the standard microsoft security essentials stuff, and I have never had an issue on any PC in 10 years. I do take care in what websites I visit and what I download though.

I just bought my wife a lenovo PC from best buy a few months ago. It was a "best buy exclusive," but had a pretty decent spec list for around $450. It's great for internet surfing and microsoft office which is all we needed it for.

I am considering a macbook pro possibly next year after it gets updated for the sole reason that they integrate so well with iphones and ipads, but I have a hard time convincing myself that I want to move away from windows. I don't understand the hate for windows 10 either.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Thanks for suggestions so far. I will never get a mac, so dont bother suggesting, and I need a laptop not a desktop. I will be using it in other places occassionally. Computer will be used almost exclusively for trading stocks so I would prefer more screen space, larger RAM, and Windows is a must for the programs I use.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
macs: for people that don't know how to PC.

They are only great if your sole purpose is internetting and looking at media (movies, pictures).
+1
Also, if you spec out a PC with high end parts and get the same spec apple version, the apple version will be anywhere from $500-$1000 more.

Another +1 on Dell and Lenovo recommendations. Id add Asus to the list too, bought a refurb from them and love it. Win 10 is meh.

Edit:
Comparing the laptop i recently bought vs ALMOST equally spec'd Mac Book Pro(yea apple doesnt have a 12gb ram or seperate GPU or touch screen :coolman:)

adlqtu.png

Source = http://www.productchart.com/laptops/

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
My wife just bought me a Dell Inspiron 3000 2 in 1 with Win 10, 4gb ram, 2.4ghz m3 processor, 500gb hd for under $450 shipped with the basic Dell employer discount that most large companies get. Its like 20% off the normal price with that discount.

Either way, its a top level touch screen laptop with plenty of go for under $500.

Machdup1

Established Member
I am a Windows guy, but there is nothing wrong with MAC if your applications and computer use knowledge are a match:

I normally recommend:

Dell, HP, Lenovo Commercial Line of Products (Consumer Line are cheap)
16GB RAM (plan for the future)
Internal SSD Drive for speed and reliability
External USB Drive for bulk storage
i5 or i7 Processor (you will probably never notice a difference)
3-5 Year Extended Service Agreement (paying up front makes it their problem)
Windows 10
Carbonite Cloud Backup Solution (remember our ransomware friend aren't going anywhere)
AV/AM/AS/FW subscription
Bluecoat Canine Free Content Filter

BTW, you will need to extend your budget.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
My Toshiba Satellite just took a crap last night, apparently it's the blue screen of death. I'm in the same boat as OP, not sure if I should fix or get a new one.

Steve1578

Established Member
Look for a used samsung series 7 Chronos. I use it for trading as well - sold my MBA in favor of it.
It has a 15.6" screen, but you can find 17" as well(probably out of your price range), but also has ethernet port, which I liked, 8gm ram, 1tb HD, and an actual dedicated keypad, which I found extra important for trading stocks. I love having it right there instead of above the letter keys, easier and quicker to do my trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread