Recession of 2022

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I feel this. The amount of negative news coming out of national and international news outlets is a serious blow to the rational man's outlook for the future. Combine that with the amount of negative news, especially crime, from local news outlets in a relatively safe, mid-sized city and it's a death blow for future prospects.

My wife wants another kid and I tell her we'd be nuts to bring another life into this world unless we can shield them from the swamp creatures that are increasingly inhabiting society. Maybe it would be more possible if daycare didn't cost $15k a year for one kid.

It is still mind boggling to me that, at best, this country can hardly get 60% of people between ages 16 to 64 to go to work.

It's not a high bar either, just working at all counts and so does being on unemployment. Even given the fact that 16-18 year olds should be high school students and a good percentage of 18-23 year olds are college students, barely 60% seems incredibly low. There aren't that many stay at home moms and HS/college students that don't work at all.

WAY too many people are on disability or otherwise feeding at the trough of government assistance. Time to cut off most of them and find out who will sink or swim.
I do wonder how they figure that labor participation rate as I agree it seems low. Especially when you hear so much about both parents having to work, etc...

I wonder if I am counted - I am technically self employed and really have a very small part time job. Every couple years it ramps up for a project, but essentially I am a stay at home dad. On a related note, I know two other 40 something men that have become stay at home dads and piddle on the side like me. 20 years ago I would have thought that was crazy.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I do wonder how they figure that labor participation rate as I agree it seems low. Especially when you hear so much about both parents having to work, etc...

I wonder if I am counted - I am technically self employed and really have a very small part time job. Every couple years it ramps up for a project, but essentially I am a stay at home dad. On a related note, I know two other 40 something men that have become stay at home dads and piddle on the side like me. 20 years ago I would have thought that was crazy.

Given your situation I'd say that sometimes you count and sometimes you don't -

From here - What Is the Labor Force Participation Rate Formula?

"The employed is a group made up of the civilian noninstitutional population age 16 or older who in the last week worked at least an hour or more as paid employees. It also counts those who worked 15 hours or more as unpaid workers in a family-owned business or farm. Each worker is only counted once, even if they hold two or more jobs."

What is even more mind boggling is that the institutionalized are not included in the labor force participation rate.

We have fewer people pulling the wagon that has an ever increasing number of noncontributors on the wagon...

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Given your situation I'd say that sometimes you count and sometimes you don't -

From here - What Is the Labor Force Participation Rate Formula?

What is even more mind boggling is that the institutionalized are not included in the labor force participation rate.

We have fewer people pulling the wagon that has an ever increasing number of noncontributors on the wagon...
Are you saying I need to get my ass back to real work? Lmao

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Are you saying I need to get my ass back to real work? Lmao

Only if you are collecting unemployment or disability!

In all reality, I definitely understand why a "stay at home dad" situation makes sense for some families. My brother-in-law is an unlicensed engineer who works for the state DOT and his wife is an anesthesiologist. I get why he'll likely stay home when they have kids in the next couple years.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Because we haven't reached pre-covid work force levels.

I work at boeing. Lay offs occured July 31 2020 due to covid.

50% of those laid off accepted recalls in July and Sept 2022.
Wasnt it also due to the stoppage of the 737? Covid made things worse but the 737 fiasco hit us harder in my line of work.

Are they even cutting people's benefits if they're not looking for a job or getting screened for drug tests? I really feel sorry for my kids future, its already a chaos right now.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Only if you are collecting unemployment or disability!

In all reality, I definitely understand why a "stay at home dad" makes sense for some families. My brother-in-law is an unlicensed engineer who works for the state DOT and his wife is an anesthesiologist. I get why he'll likely stay home when they have kids in the next couple years.

Yea, I know a few with similar jobs where the wife makes crazy bank so the dad ended up staying home as they didn't want someone else to raise their kids

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Wasnt it also due to the stoppage of the 737? Covid made things worse but the 737 fiasco hit us harder in my line of work.

Are they even cutting people's benefits if they're not looking for a job or getting screened for drug tests? I really feel sorry for my kids future, its already a chaos right now.
Yeppers…making airplanes that fall out of the sky can “hamper” job sustainability….

robvas

Established Member
We came close to shutting our Seattle location because of that

Dusten

Established Member
I feel this. The amount of negative news coming out of national and international news outlets is a serious blow to the rational man's outlook for the future. Combine that with the amount of negative news, especially crime, from local news outlets in a relatively safe, mid-sized city and it's a death blow for future prospects.

My wife wants another kid and I tell her we'd be nuts to bring another life into this world unless we can shield them from the swamp creatures that are increasingly inhabiting society. Maybe it would be more likely if daycare didn't cost $15k a year for one kid.

It is still mind boggling to me that, at best, this country can hardly get 60% of people between ages 16 to 64 to go to work.

It's not a high bar either, just working at all counts and so does being on unemployment. Even given the fact that 16-18 year olds should be high school students and a good percentage of 18-23 year olds are college students, barely 60% seems incredibly low. There aren't that many stay at home moms and HS/college students that don't work at all.

WAY too many people are on disability or otherwise feeding at the trough of government assistance. Time to cut off most of them and find out who will sink or swim.

The jobs here are good jobs that pay well too. It's not like we are McDonald's

Dusten

Established Member

The 737 max was an issue. But that's a different facility all together.
There were a lot of issues all together, but the lay off notices didn't start until June 1 2020.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
1658869152684.png

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It would seem it's official,...............except to everyone in the White House !!
.....................07/28/2022
" THE BIDEN RECESSION. This morning the Commerce Department announced the economy shrank by 0.9% in the second quarter of 2022. That comes after the announcement last April that the economy contracted by 1.6% in the first quarter of this year. Now, the United States has had two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth, which is the popularly accepted definition of a recession. So it's official: The U.S. is in a recession. "

tistan

Established Member
It would seem it's official,...............except to everyone in the White House !!
.....................07/28/2022
" THE BIDEN RECESSION. This morning the Commerce Department announced the economy shrank by 0.9% in the second quarter of 2022. That comes after the announcement last April that the economy contracted by 1.6% in the first quarter of this year. Now, the United States has had two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth, which is the popularly accepted definition of a recession. So it's official: The U.S. is in a recession. "
Just wait for the adjusted numbers in a few weeks. That .9% will be 2.5%.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Just wait for the adjusted numbers in a few weeks. That .9% will be 2.5%.

Bingo.

Its official.. were in recession.

But, the truth is the jobs market is still strong (now). We'll see if that changes in the coming months -- and it may be already.

Many companies are in fact laying off thousands of workers..,. Ford is one of them (8 THOUSAND workers! many of them salaried).

Gotta fund the EV programs, yo! Because green!!

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Fake news. xiden said we have the strongest economy ever. Come on man.

All while Nancy piglosi is feeding her cuck husband insider trading information and making millions and laughing at everyone on national tv about it.

Users who are viewing this thread