Recently purchased 03 Cobra and exhaust is too Loud. HELP

Yankeeman

Established Member
Just purchased an 03 Cobra convertible with 60,000 miles. The exhaust is way too loud at 2100RPM. I would like to scale down the sound to be able to comfortably talk and listen to music while driving. The current setup is a Bassani Catback with a catted X-Pipe.

To to reduce noise Do I replace the mid-pipe and keep the Bassani Catback, or do I replace catback and keep the catted X-Pipe?

FYI, I do have the original catted H-Pipe on the side. I don't know if that should be put back on. I don't want to lose Much HP. I do want the car to sound like a muscle car without it being too loud. Thanks

04compking

Established Member
I wouldn't put the stock h pipe on. I would just find a quieter cat back. I have a bbk off road h and a magnaflow cat back and I love it. I wouldn't mind if it were a little bit louder to be honest.

Yankeeman

Established Member
I wouldn't put the stock h pipe on. I would just find a quieter cat back. I have a bbk off road h and a magnaflow cat back and I love it. I wouldn't mind if it were a little bit louder to be honest.

Thank you for your input.

joshcarp81

Established Member
I understand where you are coming from. I wanted better flow without the droning or ridiculous loudness at low rpm. I went with the magna flow and its perfect. Mind you I still have factory H pipe. So yours would be a little louder. And no need to give the guy shit for wanting to cruise his car either. To each his own.

TERMINATED97

Established Member
Lol, I have your same set up but an off road x pipe and I want it louder. Currently looking for some stingers.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
If your CATS are bad than your exhaust WILL be louder!!!

Um what?

Op mines the same way. Mac long tubes, OR H and some mac cat back with race mufflers. I'm looking at swapping out the mufflers to a summit welded or a thrush welded. Either that or ordering some resonators to add to the current setup. Mine sounds great at part throttle or idle but if you get after it is gets all raspy and ugly sounding.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
If you have the stock mid pipe I say install it you might like the sound plus its free since you have it already. I'm running the same cat back with kooks/lt's and catted x and IMO its not loud enough ;)

Zemedici

Established Member
put on the stock midpipe as its free as stated above

if you dont like it, then you can start buying stuff. But I would always start with a free potential fix. haha

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Magnaflow!!!period!

Just purchased an 03 Cobra convertible with 60,000 miles. The exhaust is way too loud at 2100RPM. I would like to scale down the sound to be able to comfortably talk and listen to music while driving. The current setup is a Bassani Catback with a catted X-Pipe.

To to reduce noise Do I replace the mid-pipe and keep the Bassani Catback, or do I replace catback and keep the catted X-Pipe?

FYI, I do have the original catted H-Pipe on the side. I don't know if that should be put back on. I don't want to lose Much HP. I do want the car to sound like a muscle car without it being too loud. Thanks

Yankeeman

Established Member
If you have the stock mid pipe I say install it you might like the sound plus its free since you have it already. I'm running the same cat back with kooks/lt's and catted x and IMO its not loud enough ;)
I was told that if I installed the original H mid-pipe that I would definitely have to retune the car. I was also told that a retune would not be necessary if I replaced only the catback with another. Is that info accurate? A local custom tune will run me about $600 bucks.

Zemedici

Established Member
I was told that if I installed the original H mid-pipe that I would definitely have to retune the car. I was also told that a retune would not be necessary if I replaced only the catback with another. Is that info accurate? A local custom tune will run me about $600 bucks.

i dont see why that's accurate with both pipes having cats, therefore your O2s shouldnt be turned off in the tune.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Agree with the post above. Shouldn't need a re-tune. Putting the stock H back in will quiet things down a lot, worth a try if you already have it.

Users who are viewing this thread