Recent Install on my rear end

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Hello all,

I thought I'd share a brief write up on the recent projects I've taken on for my rear end. This forum helped me along my journey so figured I'd pay it back by describing my journey.

For starters, I bent two OEM axles at the strip which motivated these installs. I began with ordering the 35 spline Strange S-trac and axles equipped with c-clip eliminators + abs compatibility. From there I purchased a CHE axle brace and had the axle tubes welded. My next step will be to change the rear gears. I haven't made up my mind between the 4.10 or 3.73 yet but I have made up my mind that I'm going to drop the stock 3.31 set up.

Strange S-trac/axles:
When looking to upgrade the rear I found myself with a lot of choices and no idea what direction to go. The mainstream next step seemed to be moving to an aftermarket 31-spline axle setup. One step above that would be moving to a 33-spline diff/axle setup. The step above that is where I landed, 35 spline set up from Strange. Finally the "cure-all" next step was ditching the stock 8:8 rear and moving to a 9. Worth noting that as the options progress the price tag surges. I landed where I did because I wanted something a little overkill to provide at the least some mental insurance. I've heard of and seen posts of people bending the 31 spine setups regardless of brand. My car is no where near and probably will not be serious enough to move away from the stock 8:8. So with that I landed on the Strange 35 spline setup.

Overall I am happy with the Strange system. It took about 2 months for the parts to arrive which was a little disappointing but they are made to order I believe. I had one issue with the center cap/spacer for the axle getting stuck in the OEM rim. There seems to be a super snug fit for the rim and spacer.

CHE axle brace/welding:
On the forum there are a few solutions for reinforcing the rear. Swar bar, axle brace, welding the tubes and maybe a few others. I landed on the CHE axle brace because I have BMR lower control arm relocation brackets. It appeared to be the only option that would fit. My shop said the install was not as easy as advertised. Fitment was not perfect with respect to the holes but they were able to install nonetheless.

Welding the axle tubes seemed to be the best reinforcement per the forums. It isn't a long or over complicated job so I figured it was a no brainer given all my other investments.

A few pictures:

a278034112d1e094dcfde5fbe9631f4f.jpg

83c4e9d973f5fa2c5cd330cd28c7455d.jpg

ad94fa0b537f8b56ed78e58fb32a3d33.jpg

51a96406447407a34172f877e322d898.jpg

0fc516234d116e67e8c2c85b090c7f3a.jpg

94e15a090dff949624e6a19d5c52a186.jpg

10086a66fee971a0ac1b482cbaa54eb0.jpg

Spacer issue:

b58439b59bdad6bdaf631fcd8ca2e871.jpg

e51ce887f15fb9a1fa9369ffdad1d549.jpg

Bent OEM axle:

3649d413fbd6783d1e9cb1beb3e1b3d2.jpg

The car:

b08035b84fb8ab6131e83146ead5a3d9.jpg

48a82b13a1a9efa51d2a240dbdaa64bc.jpg

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Awesome writeup. Been researching this issue. You are right, can get pricey.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Nice, probably headed this way before too long myself. How did you resolve the spacer issue?

Funny you ask, the shop said it sort of just screwed back into place. Thought everything was good to go but I took it for a spirited drive this morning and can hear something loose...so the real answer to that question is "too be determined" unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Update:

What I thought was “loose” was really the lower control arm rod end bushing Installed improperly paired with the rear being out of alignment. I guess the last time I had the control arm off I must have put the rod end together incorrectly (they tend to come apart when not bolted in). While the shop had it up they also perfected my pinion angle. Now it drives great with no noise from the rear.

I also pulled the trigger finally on a new set of rear gears. The stock 3:31’s will be replaced with 3:73’s. I landed on the 3:73 because I do a lot of daily driving with the car and feared the 4:10’s would be to extreme. Nonetheless I expect the car to feel like a new beast on the strip and those highway shenanigans out in Mexico.

I’ve been chasing a 10.9 ticket for awhile now...my current best is 11.28 @124. With a good 60’ I’m hoping to crack a 10. I’m in South FL though, the humidity and heat are a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Nice combo with the Strange axles and s-trac. I’m running a very similar setup. You won’t be disappointed at the strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
The only other recommendation I’d give is adding the BMR Xtreme anti rollbar. But not sure if it will fit with your brace. It fits with my swarr...

mebetter

Established Member
How did the axles get bent when the car has ran a best of 11.8 at 124? I would imagine it was launched nowhere near hard enough to bend an axle.

Last edited:

paluka21

Established Member
How did the axels get bent when the car has ran a best of 11.8 at 124? I would imagine it was launched nowhere near hard enough to bend an axel.

You’d be surprised. Don’t always need a hard launch to bend an axle with these heavy torque monsters.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Yeah I did it with everything stock except for drag radials. 4K sidestep launches made quick work of the axles.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Interesting and you had suspension modifications prior to the axles being bent is that correct?

I bent an axle once on the stock suspension, Ford warrantied a new pair. The 2nd time I had the new suspension installed (made several successful passes) then I installed a Spec ST clutch...on the first pass with the new clutch the axle was toast. That’s when I made the move to beef up the rear. New clutch transferred the power to the DRs much better...I never really go for aggressive launches, I pulse between 2-3k and go on green...

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Update:

What I thought was “loose” was really the lower control arm rod end bushing Installed improperly paired with the rear being out of alignment. I guess the last time I had the control arm off I must have put the rod end together incorrectly (they tend to come apart when not bolted in). While the shop had it up they also perfected my pinion angle. Now it drives great with no noise from the rear.

I also pulled the trigger finally on a new set of rear gears. The stock 3:31’s will be replaced with 3:73’s. I landed on the 3:73 because I do a lot of daily driving with the car and feared the 4:10’s would be to extreme. Nonetheless I expect the car to feel like a new beast on the strip and those highway shenanigans out in Mexico.

I’ve been chasing a 10.9 ticket for awhile now...my current best is 11.28 @124. With a good 60’ I’m hoping to crack a 10. I’m in South FL though, the humidity and heat are a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Just wondering why you think 4.10s are extreme?
The trans has a 2.66 first and 0.50 sixth meaning 80mph cruise in 6th is 2000rpm.
Unless you're shooting for well over 800rwhp, the 4.10s are the best strip gear based on trap RPM.
You can guess on gear selection or actually try and use math for drag racing. That means you should try and gear the car to cross the finish at peak power to 500rpm over peak.
I've had both and the 4.10 is by far superior to a car under 800rwhp.
Would you rather trap at 6200 or 6600?
-J

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Just wondering why you think 4.10s are extreme?
The trans has a 2.66 first and 0.50 sixth meaning 80mph cruise in 6th is 2000rpm.
Unless you're shooting for well over 800rwhp, the 4.10s are the best strip gear based on trap RPM.
You can guess on gear selection or actually try and use math for drag racing. That means you should try and gear the car to cross the finish at peak power to 500rpm over peak.
I've had both and the 4.10 is by far superior to a car under 800rwhp.
Would you rather trap at 6200 or 6600?
-J

I drive the car everyday for the most part. I didn’t want to end up in a situation where the car was too much for daily driving...the 4:10’s I think would smoke any street tire that will fit. Was looking for a happy medium between a little quicker and still “tame.” Steeda tech in SFL said the 4.10’s are pretty much useless without a set of tall DRs in the rear.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
He's right, so run a tall DR.
What tires do you run street and strip?
-J

Right now I have the stock Goodyears but 305 instead of the 285 in the rear for street. I switch to a set NT05R’s 305X45X18 in the rear for the strip.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I've never undertood the bent axle issue on these cars.

Nonetheless I welded my axle tubes when I installed 3.73's due to everything I've been reading.

Hopefully that will help.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
305/35/20 NT555R or if willing to give up some streetability, MT.
Either way, I've had both and really prefer 4.10s.
Motive makes a special 3.90 set member Tony here has also.
Good luck, but either gear swap is a huge improvement.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread