Received orders to Japan. What car would you buy?

trxcobra

Established Member
My biased opinion is the Supra. However based on what I've seen through some other supra guys connected overseas, the prices are starting to climb rapidly on the clean TT supras over there (anticipating a high demand as they reach the 25yr rule). It also sounds like they are not as plentiful as one may think but definitely better odds than finding clean, reasonably priced US models

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
From my limited research, they have definitely spiked in price over there but still more plentiful and better priced.

I would be leaving in 2022, so the 96-97 would likely be the year I would target, as they seem to be a little cheaper than the year groups that are coming into the 25 year window now.

Twisted2v

Established Member
I love the way the skylines sound, but I would enjoy a supra and the Targa top.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
R34 Skyline GT-R

*Edit, then sell it when you are ready to return to the states and buy a R32 to bring back, unless you are there until 2020, then bring home a R33.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Lancia Delta Evo. Italian car obviously but the Evo models largely went to Japan. They are legal for import to the US now and are pulling pretty good money. There are 3 on CL now in my state with the cheapest being 15k in pretty rough condition and the most expensive I saw was 31k. They will be a big collector item and the Evo is the rarest model of them I believe.

I would love to have an RX7 personally though.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
R34

How is this even a question? MKIV supras and RX7s of that era were imported to USDM.

Get yourself Godzilla and have the US DoD ship that thing back for you on your return!

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
FYI guys,

You cannot import a R34 until 2024, a R33 until 2020.

Only cars from 1993 (25 years old) and older can be imported as of this writing (2018).

If I could, I would invest in a storage building somewhere there and start buying up all the R33 and R34 cars I could, then start importing them here once the 25-year mark hit and profit.

blk02edge

Established Member
FYI guys,

You cannot import a R34 until 2024, a R33 until 2020.

Only cars from 1993 (25 years old) and older can be imported as of this writing (2018).

If I could, I would invest in a storage building somewhere there and start buying up all the R33 and R34 cars I could, then start importing them here once the 25-year mark hit and profit.
Lame, the red tape got lifted on the r34 up here a couple years back, prices are crazy on them

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Believe me, I'm chomping at the bit to get a R34 for my own collection. Not much longer now.....

You do know there is a R34 running around Houston? Its registered as a show car and ive seen videos from Memorial city cars and coffee where it has shown up.
Talk to Shinku motors they were just over in Japan and have been getting some clean rides in

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Any legal R33 or R34 you see in the US is going to be one of the MotoRex cars. I was just watching 1320 Video's snapchat last night and they had video of an R33 GTR at a shop they were visiting for Tx2k. Pretty sure it was my old boss' car. It was the Nurburgring record car he had for a while that MotoRex brought in. I recognized a couple of the hoses we installed in the engine bay lol. He sold that one and a 71 Skyline to the owner of Cobb and now it appears it is in Texas. OP could get an R33 GTR upon getting to Japan and he should be there long enough to where his orders to return stateside would be beyond 2020. I would really consider that because I work with an importer here and he said R32s have become more expensive in Japan now that they have a very big demand in the US. He can get a nice R33 now for fair market price and then bring it state side after 2020 where it will be worth double most likely.

Zemedici

Established Member
Ahhhh yes i remember Motorex

There are companies that import them legally now, Rivsu imports comes to mind.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
A clean R34 GTR goes for about 5-6m yen in Japan. These cars are not cheap. I live in Canada where we have the 15 year import rule and I could get a R34 GTR if I wanted to. The issue is finding a clean, accident free, and rust free car. Those are quite rare. Last year, the prices on R34s went up quite a bit and now they stabalized and dropped by 500k yen. I would not buy any of these cars as an investment. Buy what you like and if it appreciates, awesome. If not, oh well. You will never enjoy the car if you treat it as an investment.

Users who are viewing this thread