Rebuilding The Terminated Cobra1FAFP48Y43F309694

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Are you doing the transmission refresh? What do you plan to do with the refresh? A complete rebuild? You haven't, of course, tested the clutch and flywheel, so you're assuming they're okay. Are you fixing the hood and wing chips? You won't be in that school forever, so how do you plan on doing your project once you're out of school? Do you have a large garage and lift? Gotta admit, I have a thousand questions to throw at you at this point.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Are you doing the transmission refresh? What do you plan to do with the refresh? A complete rebuild? You haven't, of course, tested the clutch and flywheel, so you're assuming they're okay. Are you fixing the hood and wing chips? You won't be in that school forever, so how do you plan on doing your project once you're out of school? Do you have a large garage and lift? Gotta admit, I have a thousand questions to throw at you at this point.
Maybe PM him and let this thread die?

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
I have 2 clutches that are used that I gave picked up, in class a plan to resurface both flywheels. We have a Transmissions class so was gonna try and refresh it myself then have it checked by a pro to make sure everything is good before and that I didn't mess something up before it goes in the car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm already past the point of no return but my time line has changed a bit, 5 years to a full roller, would ease up the pressure financially, yes I know il never make the money back, that's not the point, this is ment to be a learning project that I would never sell, I plan on keeping it around, no one else would appreciate the work like that went into it.
I'm building it to exactly how I want it.
How much have you thrown into this project to date, money wise? You're not even close to being past the point of no return since you've probably completed about 10% of your total project.

In a perfect world I could build this car at a good pace. The reality is I sock back money every month saving up for a part to buy. Why, so I can hang out in the garage, build this car and make new friends along the way. It's not about money for me. I do appreciate the warnings and yes it won't be overnight but I can start to make a little progress as Cobra part prices continue to climb.
To put it into perspective of who I am,
Most young college students are out partying and drinking on Friday night, me I'm straight from school to work to work a 7 hour shift. The joy of getting that next part drives me to work more and do more. I know it's financially stupid but it's the passion and the rush I get from doing another task on the list that keeps me going.
What is the "perfect world" in your mindset? It's not just money you lack, it's also experience. I base that statement on the fact that you've asked a megaton of questions in this thread so far, and you still have a LONG way to go. That lack of experience will extend your timeline a LOT, beyond what you're hoping for. I hope you will have sufficient funds to cover the stuff that you will have to pay an (experienced) shop to do.

Well, I'd did something, after more months of putting back money and today I got a hood and a transmission, clutch, flywheel, and drive shaft for $2600
Nice......but, you had already bought a clutch and flywheel back in October, 2022. You're throwing away money on parts you already bought/have. :unsure:

The hood isn't perfect has a little chip out of the hood itself ½the size of a pea, any recommendations to fix the damage, same on the wing.
If you have to ask how to fix the small chip on the hood (you've been enrolled in your auto mechanics program for some time now), you have ton more UNKNOWNS in your project than you know/realize.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have 2 clutches that are used that I gave picked up, in class a plan to resurface both flywheels. We have a Transmissions class so was gonna try and refresh it myself then have it checked by a pro to make sure everything is good before and that I didn't mess something up before it goes in the car.
Okay, so you acknowledge you paid for two clutches and two flywheels. Great. And you're going to now resurface both flywheels. Why do both when you only need one? And, okay, so you're going to "give it a shot" in your transmissions class (which isn't transmission specific) to refresh the transmission yourself. Oh, and then after you do the refresh (hopefully done right and in full) you will have to pay to have it checked by a Pro to make sure everything is good and you didn't mess anything up. So you're going to deliver the transmission to a transmission shop, have them go through it thoroughly, and hope all is good. Are you prepared to pay the shop to fix any areas you either missed or messed up?

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
So as far as the total amount for everything at this point 3k and the clutches came in lots with other parts. Didn't go out of my way to get them. In class we work with the T5 mostly.

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
I will say, good job man. This is what being a hotrodder is all about—taking something and making it your own. Some advice I will offer is to plan out your build first and buy accordingly. I have spent a lot of money on my Mach and still find areas I need to change stuff. Do yourself a favor and don't add the receipts they will make you cry. lol. Keep up the good work and you can do it don't lose faith. Building a car takes time and patience. The t56 isn't hard to rebuild there are manuals for it on the internet. When I bought mine it was stuck in 4th and rebuilt it in my garage.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Okay, so you acknowledge you paid for two clutches and two flywheels. Great. And you're going to now resurface both flywheels. Why do both when you only need one?
Because he learned from Dom not to make this mistake….

1684964010918.gif

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Well I figured I threw out and update. So as we approach end of first school year, I'm going into the second one more focus than ever on both school work, My own health, And as well my project car. While driving around on my way home I Came to the conclusion That my second biggest problem with this build is in fact solvable, Ever since to start my biggest concern is hardware, Most the hardware I do have that was in the back of the car is not labelled Or is too far corroded. I found that there are two ways Around this issue. I can either pay someone who is partying Is a cobra To label and bag every single nut and bolt in a car And by said hardware often or the local four dealer is nice enough to tell me the threads Specs on all the hardware as they are now considered obsolete. I will state the goals for now till winter, By september I'd like to have the wiring in and some of the interior. By december I'd like to have the I r s in hand if not already rebuilt.

Last edited:

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
Well I figured I threw out and update. So as we approach end of first school year, I'm going into the second one more focus than ever on both school work, My own health, And as well my project car. While driving around on my way home I Came to the conclusion That my second biggest problem with this build is in fact solvable, Ever since to start my biggest concern is hardware, Most the hardware I do have that was in the back of the car is not labelled Or is too far corroded. I found that there are two ways Around this issue. I can either pay someone who is partying Is a cobra To label and bag every single nut and bolt in a car And by said hardware often or the local four dealer is nice enough to tell me the threads Specs on all the hardware as they are now considered obsolete. I will state the goals for now till winter, By september I'd like to have the wiring in and some of the interior. By december I'd like to have the I r s in hand if not already rebuilt.
Check out terminator-cobra.com a lot of useful information with part numbers to help with figuring out the bolts location. If you were to rebuy the hardware you it's going to get expensive real quick.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Got some more parts today.
Body harness and pedals but need hardware and and dont exactly know how to install both. Does anyone have routing diagrams or a picture to show how the harness runs.

Attachments

• 20230613_151228.jpg
    20230613_151228.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230613_151005.jpg
    20230613_151005.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

term1991

Already 3k in and no where near complete, I wouldn’t even say you’re 1% complete, probably going to be in over 100k on this salvage title. Saving money and finishing school should be on your to do list and then buying a house. Buying some sort of real estate is very important for your future, everyone thought I was nuts buying a house at 23 but now I have a $883 mortgage, while my friends are paying $1,600 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment, that alone buys me the room to pay for the toys I want now. This is probably the worst financial disaster I’ve ever seen. It’s not “just money” , you are living away your time for money, which your time is the most important resource in your life that will NEVER come back. You will find out how fast your time goes and realize somethings are simply not worth YOUR life, like this project.

term1991

I have to add a great point. I’ve found over 10 cobra examples under 30k just on my local marketplace and to show how stupid of an idea this project is, It would be cheaper to buy any of these clean title examples in full for 25k and dismantle the entire car and rebuild it to your wrecked salvage example.

vr4

Established Member
I have to add a great point. I’ve found over 10 cobra examples under 30k just on my local marketplace and to show how stupid of an idea this project is, It would be cheaper to buy any of these clean title examples in full for 25k and dismantle the entire car and rebuild it to your wrecked salvage example.
Many have said that. He won't listen

Users who are viewing this thread