rebuilding a 4.6 long block yourself

pacific4v

Established Member
I did a quick search and mostly found estimates on having someone rebuild a motor for you, but I'm curious of the cost if you do the assembly yourself. I have a mmr 5.0 stroker shortblock in a iron block with, as far as I know, untouched heads. Nothing is wrong with my motor other than the fact it has about 60k miles. If I rebuild it I wanna use an aluminum block, hopefully reuse my crank and rods, and maybe pistons if the block doesn't need bored. I have all arp hardware too so I'm assuming those can be reused too. Whats the average cost of good bearings, timing componets, gaskets, etc? I wanna upgrade valve springs too, but are lash adjusters usually reused? Anything else I'm missing? How hard is the assembly? I've never rebuilt an engine but I have plenty experience working on engines, and I have several friends who have assembles mod motors.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
bearings, springs, gaskets, timing set....probably run you around $800-900 when all is said and done.

though with only 60k miles, I would reuse the timing set if it was new 60k miles ago

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I did a quick search and mostly found estimates on having someone rebuild a motor for you, but I'm curious of the cost if you do the assembly yourself. I have a mmr 5.0 stroker shortblock in a iron block with, as far as I know, untouched heads. Nothing is wrong with my motor other than the fact it has about 60k miles. If I rebuild it I wanna use an aluminum block, hopefully reuse my crank and rods, and maybe pistons if the block doesn't need bored. I have all arp hardware too so I'm assuming those can be reused too. Whats the average cost of good bearings, timing componets, gaskets, etc? I wanna upgrade valve springs too, but are lash adjusters usually reused? Anything else I'm missing? How hard is the assembly? I've never rebuilt an engine but I have plenty experience working on engines, and I have several friends who have assembles mod motors.

I was in the same boat as you. I never assembled a motor fro scratch but I said F it and I did it anyways with my 5.4. Just do your research on torque specs, tolerances, have a general understanding and its not that bad.

-Mark

pacific4v

Established Member
You can get great valve springs for $200 that use stock retainers.
Which springs are those? Will they work with aftermarket cams? I plan on using my stock cams for now unless I find a good deal on some aftermarket cams, regardless I want to upgrade cams in the future.

bearings, springs, gaskets, timing set....probably run you around $800-900 when all is said and done.

though with only 60k miles, I would reuse the timing set if it was new 60k miles ago

The previous owner had the engine installed and I've owned the car for four years so I don't kmow whats been replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread