reasoning behind over MSRP

dun4791

Established Member
Can some of you guys enlighten me as to why any reasonable human being would pay a dealership over MSRP? I dont get it. It seems as if some of you on here are actually ok with the idea. Thats crazy, why not just wait a year, until the dealers have 5 of them on the lot they are paying juice on and will sell them under MSRP?

Just trying to understand

Lyle

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Now I am not defending paying over MSRP in any way. Since to me, this car is meant by FORD to be a car for the loyal enthusiast who is not necessary wealthy but is hard working and plans and saves for this car. So of course it sucks when a bunch of folks with lots of money want to fight over the first few that come out.

To really understand, you have to stop making sense and act on a pure emotional basis. This purchase is not a necessity for any of us; this is a deep emotional acquisition. This is not transportation it is much more. And for each of us we will have our own reasons why we must have one of these cars NOW!!!!!

So for those of you with passion, sense and PATIENCE you can wait and ultimately own and drive one of these cars. But for those who have some money, are not patient and got to have it now, even though it cannot be explained via logic. We will fight tooth and nail against each other to have one. The dealers are just in the middle picking up the dead flesh.

Seriously, the only truly fair way to do it would to have a lottery with all those who want one committing to pay MSRP, putting their name in a hat and hoping that they get picked or that less people want one, then the total number made, so that everyone gets one. Even then, some people would be unhappy that they did not get an early car since they are not made all at one time.

So in the end, those folks with money and an extreme desire to have one NOW will drive up the price. I read on another forum that people were insisting that the dealer take 10K over and he finally took enough deposits from his “BEST” customers and has sold out his allocation all for 10K over so the free market place prevails. Sucks but it is true……Steve

mrGT

Established Member
Assuming that everyone is willing to wait a year or so for the Shelby, the best way to sell it is for Ford to take orders, just like in the good ol' days, and produce only as many as they have orders for....even if it takes 3-4 years. Then if some people wanted to pay for the privilege to be "first", I say let dealers milk them for all it's worth, I know I would be getting one down the road for MSRP. I really don't have a problem with people paying more than MSRP.....as long as I know I'm going to get one. Under this scenario, I don't think there would be a large number of people willing to pay over MSRP and there would be no need to sell the car at or below invoice later on (ala the Terminator) making it a profitable vehicle as all cars would be sold at MSRP.

It's the fear of not being able to buy one that will scare some into buying their way to the front of the line.....I know, I felt that way and was prepared to do just that, BUT, with a little help....no, a lot of help.....I was able to find an MSRP dealer where I know I will get one - maybe not in the first round, but in the second. I'm willing to wait.

chuckstang

Established Member
Not to take anything away from the gt500 but at 10000 units a year for 2 years, there will be more then enough gt500's sitting around going for sticker or even less. I see this time around being the same as the terminators. I just dont see 20,000 customers willing to pay $40k plus for a mustang!
Basically if you can wait 6 months to a year after they are released this summer, you will be fine! I dont get why people think if they don't get one right away, they will never get one...thats exactly how they want you to think!!! :eek:

Lets see, 10,000 Gt500s divided by every Ford dealership in America since you no longer have to go to an SVT dealer = why people will be paying over MSRP>

mrGT

Established Member
For a non-SVT dealer to get one, they have to be certified....and I understand that will cost about $10 grand. I don't see too many dealerships ponying up that much so as to get one stallion!

As of last July, there were 605 full-line SVT and 700 Focus-only SVT dealers. It will be interesting to see exactly how the allocations will fall out.

07 Shelby

Established Member
needspeed hit the nail on the head. For many purists it's an "Emotional" and or Sentimental experience. No, it really doesn't follow any logic. Then again, when you make emotional decisions, logic rarely comes into play. Kinda' like getting married! ;-)
For myself, I've been waiting since I sold my last Mustang way back in 91'. I always said that my next one would be a Shelby.
Well, it's here and the time has come. 1st at my SVT Dealer at MSRP. :rockon:

blubyeu

Established Member
If Ford did it right, present SVT owners should get first crack at the new Shelby with no markup.

Porsche dealers are not allowed to charge 1 penny over sticker, even on the GT.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
blubyeu said:
If Ford did it right, present SVT owners should get first crack at the new Shelby with no markup.

Porsche dealers are not allowed to charge 1 penny over sticker, even on the GT.

I've owned a 99, 01, 03 Cobra and an SVT Focus but don't have any of those now so I don't count. That really hurts my feeling.....Steve

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
mrGT said:
...As of last July, there were 605 full-line SVT and 700 Focus-only SVT dealers. It will be interesting to see exactly how the allocations will fall out.
If there are 10000 units made = 16.5 units per dealer ???????
Is that what you mean?

Bean Bandit

Hurst Shifted Maniac
Established Member
Wait, something just sank in for me- people are actually considering getting into bidding wars and paying well over MSRP and in many cases, they won't be able to check off the options they want or maybe even the color?

...Well damn! Now I just want one even more!

I kid, of course.

Unfortunately, it seems like the days of "build to order" went away awhile ago. You just have to hope that if your prefered dealership has the deal you want that they'll be willing to trade with other dealerships to get the car closest to what you want. Granted, most of these cars will have just about all of their available options (or maybe for some weight watchers, unfortunately) installed, but that still makes color choices difficult if you had a preferred set up in mind.

I for one would never buy another black car. It's just too much work (though they do look the best when clean). When they Promised Day comes for me, I'll be on the hunt for a blue/white stripe combo. That's about all I'm askin' for. It just sucks that it takes so much work to find "the one" these days.

chuckstang

Established Member
why do you think itll be tough to find the one??? if you are willing to travel..
I want an all black no stripes, fully loaded gt500, hope i can find one, oh and if they paint the stripes on, i want a black with silver stripes :)

I dont even know when I could buy one...finacially speaking but ahhh what the hey... its not even out yet, theres still time, save up! ooops I just spent 500 more on my 99

Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
chuckstang said:
...if you are willing to travel...
That's a good point.

Even though there was a serious over-supply of Terminators by mid 2003, dealers in some parts of the country still wouldn't deal on them. :nonono: I recall a lot of people in the northeast and California had a tough time locating a low priced Terminator. Meanwhile, dealers in the midwest and south were blowing them out like leftover Taurus sedans!

There was a dealer in Tampa (Brandon Ford) that was one of the first to start blowing out Terminators and Mach 1s for a whopping $7,000 off MSRP. At one point they were selling Mach 1s for $22,795 and Terminators for $27,750. People were flying down to Florida to buy their new Mustang! :eek:

mrGT

Established Member
rocknrod said:
If there are 10000 units made = 16.5 units per dealer ???????
Is that what you mean?
If Ford sticks to the intent of their July 05 Allocation Letter (which only indicated that 7,000 would be produced) and ups the ante of cars, one would think that your calculation would be in the ball park. It's very possible that Ford will allow non-SVT dealers of good standing to have a few, who knows? That's why I said it will be interesting to see how the allocation works out.

I also wonder just how many people out there will actually plop the money down to buy a GT500? Or is Ford over estimating the demand?

mrGT

Established Member
Bean Bandit said:
Wait, something just sank in for me- people are actually considering getting into bidding wars and paying well over MSRP and in many cases, they won't be able to check off the options they want or maybe even the color?

...Well damn! Now I just want one even more!

I kid, of course.

Unfortunately, it seems like the days of "build to order" went away awhile ago. You just have to hope that if your prefered dealership has the deal you want that they'll be willing to trade with other dealerships to get the car closest to what you want. Granted, most of these cars will have just about all of their available options (or maybe for some weight watchers, unfortunately) installed, but that still makes color choices difficult if you had a preferred set up in mind.

I for one would never buy another black car. It's just too much work (though they do look the best when clean). When they Promised Day comes for me, I'll be on the hunt for a blue/white stripe combo. That's about all I'm askin' for. It just sucks that it takes so much work to find "the one" these days.
That's why you see lists at the dealers....not only do people want a Shelby, they want the right to order the color and options they want. I know I do!! Even the MSRP dealers that have taken a list will allow the people to do just that. Now on the other hand, if those "above MSRP" dealers can't find people willing to pay, they will order what they think someone would want and put it on the showroom floor and your scenario is valid.

By the way, I agree with your assessment of "black"....never again!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
These cars are going to be like cavaliers...everywhere. It most likely will not be like the terminators when they came out and a dealer would get maybe one every month or so if they were lucky. I would say once they really start producing and shipping them hard the dealers will have two to three on a lot at any given time. This is going by the current SVT certified dealership status though. They will not be able to afford to hold on to them at an over MSRP price at that point. I would say that it will only take about 3 months after they first start hitting the dealerships for the price to start coming down to MSRP and lower. People will not have to wait as long for a great deal. Besides, I think that I would rather have the C500 from Cervini's. I know it is just a 3 valve, but damn it is sweet.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread