Rear Spoiler Gasket Sticks Out...

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Has anyone else had this problem? My '03 Cobra has had trouble with the rear spoiler gasket sticking out. This happens along the front edge along the top of the trunk.

I've had it "worked on" twice by the dealer under warranty. The first time he obviously just pulled on what stuck out and trimmed it (not what I wanted). The problem continued and the second time they had to replace the entire spoiler and gasket as an assembly. It seems that it's the only way to replace the gasket. It was ok for awhile and now it happening again. The dealership bodyshop manager says he has fixed a few others but the problem has never come back. He wants to try a special Dupont double sided foam tape and forgo the Ford gasket. He is waiting to review samples with the rep from Dupont. I'm ok with the idea if it works. I told him that I only have 4,000 miles left in warranty and I didn't the problem to happen again.

Am I alone or is this a common problem with the '03/'04 Cobras? What do you think? :shrug:

Sniperfox

Kopfjaeger
Established Member
I remember someone on here saying that double-sided tape is what's on there now and that others have had the same problem as you. Let us know how it turns out, ok?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's not all that uncommon. They do use double-sided tape. Hmmm. Be careful of foam double sided tape. If it is anything like the stuff you can buy at Home Depot it isn't as strong as regular tape. The foam doesn't compress as well. The stuff he is talking about might be much more suited for the application, but quite honestly the stock tape should be fine. Be sure to keep all of your paperwork concerning this issue. Because even though your warrantee is up there should be a separate warrantee on the repair so that if it happens again after your warrantee is up they should take care of you (within a reasonable amount of elapsed time). Most dealers will work with you on previous warrantee issues reported to them by the customer.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Thanks...

I guess I'm not alone. I'm not happy with just triming it as it continues to stick out. The Dupont tape is not the same as Ford used or what you might find at Home Depot. I'm optimistic that if the problem occurs again after warranty they will fix it.

Or... the Lemon Law... something like if they attempt to fix it 3 times and the problem has not gone away then I get a new GT500 as a free replacement. Is that how it works?

Anybody have other ideas? :)

wizdawg

aka... Brian
Established Member
it was like that on my car too when i bought it. i have been too worried about making it worse, so i just left it. the other day, after i was done working on the car i was dusting it off with a towel before to cover it again and a thread on the towel grabed it and tore it off almost perfect. an accident that turned out to be good!!

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Mine did that as well. On my car, it was NOT double-sided tape, but single-sided tape with the tape side stuck to the underside of the spoiler. I went to a store which sells pickup truck campers and bought a roll of tape from them (they use it between the cover and the pickup bed). It was less than $5.

I cleaned the tape residue off with a 3M product made for auto bodies which I bought at an Advance Auto. I made sure that the spoiler was warmed up inside the house for a day (don't want to apply this when the spoiler is cold) and reapplied the tape being careful to not stretch the tape when applied. Since the replacement tape was wider than the stock tape, I cut reliefs out on the curves. Since I did that, the problem has not reoccured.

It's important that you take your time when reapplying the tape. If you stretch it, then the problem will reoccur when the tape gets cold and shrinks.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Thanks, that sounds like exactly what I will do if the dealer cannot provide a permanent fix. Under warranty I'd rather let them do the work.

...or I could always borrow that towel from wizdawg and hope I get lucky like him when drying the car. :beer:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow! It seems as though the real issue is the way Ford designed it. Another example of poor design at the expense of the consumer. Sorry, but this kind of stuff gets to me. Why not do it right the first time? And if the consumer brings an issue to the forefront like this, fix it and gain back the confidence of the consumer. We can't even get Ford to admit that they have an issue with the carpet causing a WOT issue. Instead they live in denial and let the customer deal with it on their own. :dw:

Last edited:

SVT04

Established Member
Sometimes I wonder what whines louder ...a Cobra blower or a Cobra owner ..... :poke:

Last edited:

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
yup mines does it too, trim it, more comes out. I just leave it now, I think I did more damage trying to get rid of it then if I have just left it alone.

oh well.

SpectorV

Established Member
same, for my saleen wing i used 3m double sided tape and that sucker hasnt budged in 2 years~ (only on the back side not on the top of the trunk its just held on by the 4 bolts)

Snake-Shadow

Established Member
SVT04 said:
Sometimes I wonder what whines louder ...a Cobra blower or a Cobra owner ..... :poke:
Quote of the year award..

Same problem. I just use plastic Bondo scraper to slide under the gasket and then trim with a knife. I've had to do this a couple of times with no adverse effects.

Users who are viewing this thread