rear rotors on 93 cobra (question?)

SVT1993

Established Member
Essentially,

The 1993 Cobra rear brakes are the same ones used on the 87/88 T-bird.

Here's a link that talks about all the different types of brake set ups used.

http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

One note that I observed was "The discontinued Ford M-2300-C kits uses the same calipers and rotors from the 87-88 Turbo Coupe, but stock length axles". I guess you could also find out from FRPP the answer to the directional question.

Last edited:

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
In looking at some pics I had of my turbo coupe axle it seems that the rotors were just like the ones pictured above. They were both the same rotor with the vanes facing the same way. Basically they were both driver side rotors. This is why I thought they were non directional as I described in my previous posts.

pjb03

Established Member

svt2205

Established Member
FWIW, the 93 Mustang service manual (Ford's publication) mentions the ventilated design as well as has a basic parts list that goes with the exploded view of the rear brake assembly. In this parts list it references 1 part number for the rotors. It does list a left and right caliper or axle adapter, so if these were side specific, you'd figure if there truly was a left or right rotor, there would be mention of the 2 part numbers.

PJB03, might you have a photo of the vanes from the inside of the rotor?

It's too bad all the old SCOA postings are gone. I do remember the heated debate over what is correct. For S&G's I'll have to pull the cover off my 93 and see what's there. Still running the original rear rotors. If vented I'll note which side goes which way.

svt2205

Established Member
I took a look at mine. And my originals are just as PJB03's are in the picture above. They're even in the same orientation as his photo shows it. But they aren't directional per say, they just have a design that allows air to be pumped thru them, either in or out depending on the direction of the vanes.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
cobr96 said:
pjb03 said:
Here you go, Goodson.

These are off the 1300 mile teal car that MM&FF purchased.

Crappy pic, but you can see the directional cooling fins.} end quote"""

Well now I am confused? I you read the articles in MM&FF they bought that cobra with NO rearend in the car , they had to install an old GT drum brake rear to take it home??

But I do have the vented rotors on my cobras as well, never seen the solids except for the 94 ans newer cars.

Mine has the OEM rotors on it and they are solid, low production car number too #195

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Cool! Can you get some pics of them? I'd like to see them. That has really peaked my interest.

bad93svt

Established Member
mine has two lefts. somone on the assembly line must have been drinking..
but on the other hand, they have ( 102k miles ) & had never been replaced.
Damn, these cars are built well !!

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
Mine has the OEM rotors on it and they are solid, low production car number too #195

I'm seriously interested in seeing the solid versions of these rotors. If you're not interested in posting pictures that's cool. But, I had read about that conversation over at SVTOA a long time ago (seems to be going on about ten years now) and never got to see pics of any. Message boards were in their infancy at that point. You're more than welcome to deny taking pictures, but I'm just curious.

Last edited:

Jack Hidley

Established Member
C5 Corvettes have "directional" rotors also. In other words, the vanes are curved. But they only have one part number for the L and R rotors.

Tom (BADBOYSPACK) can you please contact me regarding your post above about solid rear Cobra rotors? Your PM and E-mail are turned off. I can be reached at jhidley at comcast dot net.

Thanks,

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
you need to email Kevin , he bought toms car.,cant remember his screen name but he just posted in the teal/ black thread. oh , kevins89notch .............too many margaritas this afternoon.

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
My original rear rotors were vented, both "lefts". It has been my understanding that they were non directional. The NOS replacements I got were also vented, both lefts. i don't think it's any accident, that's just how they did it. Remember, SVT was a crying, diaper wetting baby when this car was conceived, and half of it's innovations were from robbing the parts bins. It's a miracle any two of them came out the same, IMO.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
still waiting to see pics of a non vented 93 cobra rotor. not convienced they exist?

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Wow, first time seeing this thread. I just went out to the garage to look at my 93, and it appears they are vented. Without taking the wheel off, its still visible.

264637.jpg

I was able to stick my fingers in there, and feel the fins.

Thanks, e-mail sent.

Hmmm, never got an email.

Users who are viewing this thread