rear rotors on 93 cobra (question?)

bad93svt

Established Member
Does anyone know if the stock rear rotors are side specific? is there a lh & a rh like a wheel?

please enlighten me.
Jeff

racerbox77

Established Member
if they have vanes (which if I remember correctly they do) you want the fins to grab the air. Hope that makes sense.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
racerbox77 said:
if they have vanes (which if I remember correctly they do) you want the fins to grab the air. Hope that makes sense.

If the rotor is vented (which I'm really not sure if it is?) it most likely is NOT directional. That means you can run it on either side.

If the rotor DOES in fact have directional vaning, (a racing type application) the vaning actually needs to exhaust out from the O.D. and that means the vanes point to the rear (at the top) as the rotor rotates forward. It does not scoop air from the O.D.

FWIW

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

bad93svt

Established Member
question

Guys, These are stock oem rotors. not aftermarket. so the question is, are they side specific or not.?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
racerbox77 said:
So I guess all 4 of mine are going the wrong way.

This might help. Not the greatest illustration but it gives you the basic idea:

disc_rotation.jpg

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

bad93svt

Established Member
I had a mechanic point it out to me that the rear rotors are directional, I asked the question (because there are so many experts on this site) & I was not sure. I stopped by to look at the progress of my car (it is getting a detroit locker & moser axles/ta cover) The mechanic told me I had two left rotors. I almost didn't believe him. But I looked & in fact the rear rotors are directional from the factory. (cobra was ahead of its time in 93). The rotor is solid but the fins are directional which in turn move air (as the stock wheel wouuld)

I thought this was pretty cool. So now I am letting you guys know. rear rotors are directional.

Jeff

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
The rear rotors are solid rotors. They are NOT side specfic.

Actually this is an iffy subject because some 93's came with solid rear rotors and some came with vented ones. Only reason I know this is because this subject came up on the scoa forum many years ago.

As far as being directional, I have never noticed the vanes on my rotors having any type of 'arc' to them. They seemed to have just come straight out. I'll have to check it out the next time I have my tires off

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
All the ones I've ever bought or used have all been non directional. I know for a fact that the ones I used to have on my 88 GT weren't. I bought those at a parts store as a stock 93 Cobra replacement. I did have one extra one laying around in my garage but I gave it to a buddy who owns a 93 Cobra.

Interesting fact about the solid rotors. Are yours solid Badboyspack?

SVT1993

Established Member
Rear rotors are directional, Front rotors are not.

At least this is the way it happen on the SVO in 1984.

The SVO was the first try at 4 wheel disks on a Fox body. The fronts on a SVO are 10.91" and the rear are 11.25". I'm sure that SVT tried to follow suit as close as they could to SVO - but when the 1993 SVT Cobra came out, it was more streamline with a production car than the SVO.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Anyone got pics of these "directional" 93 Cobra rear rotors? I'd love to see 'em.

pjb03

Established Member
Here you go, Goodson.

These are off the 1300 mile teal car that MM&FF purchased.

Crappy pic, but you can see the directional cooling fins.

93rearrotors.jpg

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
That's cool. Now I know for sure. I was wrong in my post above. I'll correct it.

I wonder if the off the shelf brand at the parts store aren't directional? Mine were definitely not directional. I used a TC rear but bought it without calipers or rotors. I made an assumption in that the replacement rotors would be exactly like the OEM pieces. Apparently they aren't and after working on and owning these cars for over 12 years you'd think I'd learn not to make an assumption about these cars because there are so many differences even in yearly production.

Sorry guys.. my mistake.

Badboys, You've peaked my interest. Seriously... does your car have solid rear rotors?

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
pjb03 said:
Here you go, Goodson.

These are off the 1300 mile teal car that MM&FF purchased.

Crappy pic, but you can see the directional cooling fins.} end quote"""

Well now I am confused? I you read the articles in MM&FF they bought that cobra with NO rearend in the car , they had to install an old GT drum brake rear to take it home??

But I do have the vented rotors on my cobras as well, never seen the solids except for the 94 ans newer cars.

Last edited:

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
O.K. a question to ponder. I was resting on the couch this afternoon and thought about the picture posted above. If those rotors were actually left and right directional, wouldn't the vanes on the rotors be facing the same way because of the way they are situated in the picture? I'd say yes they're supposed to be if they are specifically for left and right applications. The picture has them as if they were mounted on the axle. Looking at that picture they'd be two driver side pieces. Isn't that what the original poster of this thread encountered? Maybe Ford was going to make them directional but decided not to and just used one casting? Where's Mark when you need him? Hopefully he'll peruse this thread.

Last edited:

pjb03

Established Member
Good eyes, Goodson.

It looks like the 1300 mile teal car had 2 right side rotors put on at the factory.

Now that this has perked my interest, I'm going to have to pull the rear wheels to check mine out. I know that they are original, too.

I guess that the people who grabbed the parts at the factory were not paying too much attention. I couldn't find a p/n on any of the rotors that I posted above. Without a p/n visible, it would be easy to put on two lefts, or two rights.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
pjb03 said:
Good eyes, Goodson.

It looks like the 1300 mile teal car had 2 right side rotors put on at the factory.

It looks like they are both lefts ..

Users who are viewing this thread