rear hubs

kevin

ok, left rear hub is loose (wobbles like the lug nuts are loose but they're not).

haven't taken it apart yet. anyone done it yet? tricks, secrets, better replacement parts, anything else? gonna tear into it tomorrow

i did a quick search and found nothing

thanks

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Kevin:

If the nut is tight and the wheel still wobbles from the hub, the bearing is shot!

This most likely happened from the nut loosening up. The nuts should be torqued before every event. Once the nut comes loose it trashes the bearing and once the bearing is trashed that toasts the hub as well. Hubs now list for somehing like $229 at the dealer. Your discount will vary.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
so what you're saying is i'll probably need to replace the knuckle?

No, what I'm saying is you definitely need a bearing and most likely a hub as well.

This will cost about $300 in parts at the Ford dealer parts counter WITHOUT labor to replace said parts.

Hence why I posted my rebuilt knuckle link!

Saleenrose

Established Member
I have replaced the bearing at the track before, It sucks but can be done with a press, track was Miller Motorsport Park and was allowed to use shop, I also found as ac427cobra has told me if the halfshaft nut comes loose, you loose bearing, I used locktight and double nuts and have since not had a problem. Just what I have found but I got tired of loosing a bearing every event. I also found really sticky tires help to bring this problem forward. Good luck.

kevin

thanks to bruce for the hubs, videos, and advice.

got the hubs replaced today in under three hours for both sides - the videos sure made it easier because there's no guessing or having to think what to do or in what order. the hubs i got are perfect.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
thanks to bruce for the hubs, videos, and advice.

got the hubs replaced today in under three hours for both sides - the videos sure made it easier because there's no guessing or having to think what to do or in what order. the hubs i got are perfect.

Kevin:

Glad you got the job done. :-D I'm also glad the videos helped. Many people may be intimidated by this job but it's truly a piece of cake. Once you see it being done, it seems like it's a lot easier than you think.

Perfect is a good word for those remanufactured knuckle assemblies I build. A lot of TLC goes into them! My nephew Adam helps me with them.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
The IRS is about to come out of 155 to replace the worn upper control arm bushings, IRS bushings, rear knuckles / bearings, and to install grease fittings.

Fullt Tilt Boogie racing parts, FTW!! :beer:

10n8b42.jpg

Last edited:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I just got Bruce's rear Knuckles and hub bearing assems tonight, and got them on the car. VERY nice parts. Thanks again for making this stuff, Bruce!

Old and new....

dnzv3b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread