rear end pop/tink FIXED!!!!

eddy z

Established Member
Finally after nearly 2 yrs the tink/pop is solved and fixed..

First, I want to say and let everyone, I had my car worked on at Victor Ford in Wauconda, IL. Their service mgr Matt Wandall stafff, and crew , are the BEST!!! They know their stuff, and do quality work.. Plus they are mod friendly. Granted I have basic bolt ons (exhaust, 95 mm MAF, and fender weld cone), my warranty was in full effect. No issues.. No questions..These guys are a great..

Wonderful place to have your car tuned, modded, ect.. in addition. Great people to work with, talk with, ect. True gear heads , that enjoy what they do, and Ford fans all the way... I strongly reccomend these guys at Victor Ford.

Ok I am off my soap box... Here is the deal on my car.

Minute I brought my car to them, and explained my issue and mysteriuos noise. They knew all about it as they had fixed a couple of others. Apparntly, my issues were:

One: during delivery, when off loaded from the truck. My PV or PC (not certain) boot near the left half shaft was ripped, torn, and leaking. As a result of the damage by the "off load", the half shaft was thrown and shifted out of balance, and not properly alligend. How this was missed by my dealership upon the safety check before they turned it over to me, was a huge miss, ect..

Second, the other half shaft was out of allign as well. caused either by improper assembly at factor, or shook up from the off load deal as mentioned in point one.

Finally, right half shaft was not fully torqued into the hub assemblity area from the inside.

Solution and fix: left boot and half shaft replaced and properly installed. Right half shaft re alligned. Entire IRS re torqued. hub re torqued as well..

Outcome: no noise, the rear feels tighter, and stronger. before, the car awlays felt a bit loose, sloppy, ect.. Now, stronger, solid feeling.

I am quite pleased....

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Thank you for the info. I need to get this done. I'm paying out of pocket though since I'm outside the warrenty period... do you see on your work sheet invoice how much $ was involved for parts and labor? how many hrs?

Thanks,

Ben

eddy z

Established Member
I checked my invoice. All with no numbers, ect.. But it did take close to 2 full days with one mech... part cost not certain.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Hopefully the retorqueing will last. Some guys have had the pop/tink come back after retorqueing. Let us know if it ever comes back.

Many other people whose cars haven't been damaged during delivery have also had the pop/tink so I'm not sure how much of a factor the damage during shipment is.

My car also was fixed with new halfshafts and hubs. 10,000 + miles now with no pop/ tink recurrence so far.

Congrats on getting your car fixed! :beer: I remember how annoying that pop/tink was...

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Mine was retourqed. Came back two weeks later. I need them to replace these before it gets worse.

TAL

2004 Cobra
Established Member
Victor Ford fixed my 97 Cobra a while back. I remember the great service they did.

I rewarded them by buying my current Cobra from them.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
my retorque lasted about 1 day before the noise came back. thas after 2 new shafts, and its still here. engineers at ford say it is normal and a characteristic of the vehicle. i say bs.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
The clunking in the 1/2 shafts are the CV's losening up.
Get under your car and turn you drive shaft, you can see the slop in the shafts.

Im guessing some 1/2's like many other mass produced parts have good one's and bad one's.

eddy z

Established Member
i had this problem since day one of the trcuk.. I do not blame 100% the damage caused by off loading my car.. i blame the poor assemiblity on the line... After all, once my entire rear end was take apart, all the guts, inside where not alligned... after all was placed back togehter, along with a new half shaft replaced... proper torq,, assembled,ect... the noise is gone.. car rides tight. wheel hop is far less, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread