Rear end build

Saint

Established Member
Torsens are great but they ar e not good for hard drag launches, Torsens are better for the track than the trutracks and they are not clunky. About the gearing, 3;73 is the most popular but for me I didnt like, for the street it put my gearing in no mans land---either being to low or high in in 3rd and 4th gear depending on speed. I went back to stock 3:25 gearing when I switched to the torsen but to do over again I would have gone with the 3:55

With your diff out, its a good time to switch to a performance diff cover
I bought the differential cover from FTBR when I got the bushings. I'm just torn on the differential now. I've even looked at the Wavetrac, even though it's way more expensive. I'm in no hurry though. Thankfully it's not my daily driver.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Not sure where the hate for the Detroit Tru-Trac is coming from.

Mine has been absolutely fantastic for me for both the street and the strip. I have never noticed any sort of "clunk"...

Is it noisier than stock? Sure - but so is every other performance part I've ever added to my car - be it intake, exhaust, shifter, bushings, you name it. (I have full FTBR so that adds to the rear end noise I'm sure.)

So count me as a big fan and I would highly recommend. I daily drive my car - hard - and my TruTrac has served me well for more than 10 years and almost 49,000 miles. I don't think that I'll ever be able to break it.

I can also give some feedback on the AutoTech WaveTrac LSD OP, as I have run that in my Terminator coupe for about 8 years and 59k miles.

FIREBALL

Established Member
No hate, its about what is suited for someones needs, Trutrac is a strong diff that is suited better for drag racing but many say it is clunky, once and a while someone will get one that isnt clunky. Torsen is more suited for the track and street. Its just a matter of what better suites your needs. Ive had both and for me (who does not drag race) Torsen is the better choice. I wouldnt want to drag race with a Torsen but for track and street its generally the better choice.

shurur

Established Member
Not sure where the hate for the Detroit Tru-Trac is coming from.

Mine has been absolutely fantastic for me for both the street and the strip. I have never noticed any sort of "clunk"...

Is it noisier than stock? Sure - but so is every other performance part I've ever added to my car - be it intake, exhaust, shifter, bushings, you name it. (I have full FTBR so that adds to the rear end noise I'm sure.)

So count me as a big fan and I would highly recommend. I daily drive my car - hard - and my TruTrac has served me well for more than 10 years and almost 49,000 miles. I don't think that I'll ever be able to break it.

I can also give some feedback on the AutoTech WaveTrac LSD OP, as I have run that in my Terminator coupe for about 8 years and 59k miles.

I think a lot of the clunk is from folks using anything other than the valvoline non-synthetic? w/o modifiers. I have yet to get the right stuff put in mine.

The first time it was installed I was told by someone who knew better and it got modifiers.
The next time I had the pinion seal done, the guy did not know I had a TT in it and I got the same shit again, with him explaining to me that I had bought the wrong stuff. arrg.

I think the Detroit TT ~ 1:3 ratio is the best for the street myself.
3.73 seems perfect to me, but I originally wanted 3.90..which I also got talked out of.

Users who are viewing this thread