rear driveshaft yoke/flange?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
that pinion yoke is very easy to swap....really very easy...if it was setup right the pinion flange should just slide off with a slight tap if needed...

i had mine rebuilt but flange got damaged ,,causing viberation...

i had used all hand tools and just snugged it with holding flange with hand..just dont over tighten

i have a dirt driveway and homemade drive on ramps..

flange/ujoint/balance will be 1/2 the price of a new custom...

what will actually make it easier for me too is that this rear was built with a solid pinion spacer, no crush sleeve, so i can't mess up the preload even if i tried to lol

shurur

Established Member
what will actually make it easier for me too is that this rear was built with a solid pinion spacer, no crush sleeve, so i can't mess up the preload even if i tried to lol

can't you mark it (nut, shaft and diffy) and tighten it to that point..plus a little snug? My pinion is leaking a bit and on my to-do list....there was a thread on the net about this...of course I'm assuming the bigger flange is the same thickness as the small 3.5" one that's on your diffy now.

The cost of a new crush sleeve can't be that much...and easier to do yourself...how much to rent a torque wrench??..plus you get your $ back on the wrench rental.....Napa, Advance Auto, Autozone.....then you have the 1350..done.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
can't you mark it (nut, shaft and diffy) and tighten it to that point..plus a little snug? My pinion is leaking a bit and on my to-do list....there was a thread on the net about this...of course I'm assuming the bigger flange is the same thickness as the small 3.5" one that's on your diffy now.

The cost of a new crush sleeve can't be that much...and easier to do yourself...how much to rent a torque wrench??..plus you get your $ back on the wrench rental.....Napa, Advance Auto, Autozone.....then you have the 1350..done.

i wont even have to mark it - i had it built up with a solid pinion spacer (no crush sleeve).

besides even if i were replacing a flange on a diff that was built with a crush sleeve, i wouldnt open the cover anyway, i would just tighten to the same preload, no new crush sleeve needed

but yeah i hear ya, replacing the pinion flange is the way to go, and i still may do it. but i am leaning towards the driveshaft modification just as a quick and easy way to get the car back on the road. i'm gonna just play it by ear and see what happens. thanks both of you guys for all of the info! :beer:

76mmturbo

Established Member
Sorry i know this is a older post.

I lost my flange off my 97 cobra, now trying to find one.
Is the flange yoke 1330 or 1350? If anyone knows please me know Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread