Rear differential issue, anyone know?

xKingCobra

Established Member
Today my rear differential decided to "come unbolted " while driving through town to work. Now the diff is pushed down into my exhaust causing them to rub. anyone familiar with this that can tell me what would cause this to happen and if can tell me if I'm missing a spacer and would it be better to go with longer bolts ? Seems like Two bolts underneath disappeared and the two in the back popped out of place . Verify or correct me please

Attachments

• IMG_3741.JPG
    IMG_3741.JPG
    921.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3743.JPG
    IMG_3743.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 112

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Hope the bolts that are missing , just fell out , not broken off or holes stripped.
I would get replacements and see if it goes back together and torques down to spec.
If there is damage , you will probably be having inserts installed in your existing housing , or replacing it .

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
The only thing that is missing in the second pic would be the vibration dampener, which really is not needed anyway. Those two holes are where it bolts on to.

And I agree those bolts in the first pic don't look long enough to adequately thread into the rear differential bushing, not sure how they held it for so long.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If those back bolts have been there since 2004 they weren't installed correctly. I vaguely remember my Billetflow brace coming with longer bolts. My guess would be whoever installed them didn't actually tighten them down. So the front two bolts were the only things holding the diff in. My guess would be the diff moved one too many times and broke them causing your current problem.

xKingCobra

Established Member
If those back bolts have been there since 2004 they weren't installed correctly. I vaguely remember my Billetflow brace coming with longer bolts. My guess would be whoever installed them didn't actually tighten them down. So the front two bolts were the only things holding the diff in. My guess would be the diff moved one too many times and broke them causing your current problem.

This seems to be what may have happened. Moved the diff back into place then replaced the two rear bolts with longer bolts and some loctite. Back to Smooth operation!

Users who are viewing this thread