Rear Diff Removal Help

Hotwire

Established Member
So, I decided to tackle this myself with a buddy of mine. We made decent progress on it today. We have never messed with the Cobra IRS before and we are ready to start back on it in the next day or so. We are at the point where the differential is unbolted with a jack supporting it. Axles are removed still bolted to the hubs and all is out of the way. I am having a hard time finding a way to remove the nut that holds the differential support bracket/lower control arm to the subframe. I see this as the only way to drop the differential out, as we have wiggled and moved the differential every way possible to tilt it and get it out, but the bushings will not slide out far enough before the differential hits the rear subframe. I don't see another way around it. So any tips to remove the nut so we can slide the bolt in enough to pull off the differential support (leaving the bolt in enough to keep the lower control arm attached to the subframe), are welcome! I have taken a picture of the nut in question in case my wording is confusing. I'm hoping once this support bracket is dropped out, the differential will just fall with the jack. Fingers crossed! I do plan to compress the springs a little so that the pressure is off the bolt before tapping it in a tad. A socket won't go on it because the subframe is in the way, I can barely get a wrench in there, but maybe that's the only way.

Thanks in advance!

400fbc6ae7b63401003b1216fde5575d.jpg

c7f8332c4217d0c7e59b3853b8a927bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
you are right in that you have to remove that crossmember to remove the pumpkin. fortunately, one of the holes on the crossmember is elongated (oval) so once you remove both nuts, the crossmember will come out if you wiggle it the right way, even if you don't move the large bolts at all. and yes i believe you have to use a big (24mm?) combination box/open end wrench to slowly turn them off. best of luck!

Last edited:

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Yea, I just used an adjustable wrench on nut and breaker bar/socket on bolt. No problem

Users who are viewing this thread