Rear Control Arm Question

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
I hate to spam the forum but i have a new question! I am strongly considering replacing my stock LCA's and UCA's with aftermarket ones. What is everyone running? I am on a budget also. I am thinking either BMR's or BBK's because they seems to have good reviews, are cheap, and have greasable bushings.

Can anyone enlighten me? :??:

Thanks!

Noreast

Established Member
From my understanding and research the stock uppers are better than the cheap aftermarkets because those cause "binding" on the lowers. I'd get some MM one or even cheaper hotchkis

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Whats the plan with the car?

For a mainly street car, aftermarket lowers and stock uppers (with stock bushings).
Aftermarket lowers: Maximum Motorsports, J&M, Steeda, BBK, Lakewood. Take your pick.

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Well that saves me some money! the car is mainly a street car that goes to shows only and hopefully a few (road-course) track days in the future. Definitely not a DD. So far I'm now looking at BBK or BMR lowers, stock uppers, and Tokico HP series shocks.

Thank you guys for your replies.

bumsoil

Established Member
mines a daily and i have j&m street/race. a litle more NVH, but worth it for how good they feel.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Well that saves me some money! the car is mainly a street car that goes to shows only and hopefully a few (road-course) track days in the future. Definitely not a DD. So far I'm now looking at BBK or BMR lowers, stock uppers, and Tokico HP series shocks.

Thank you guys for your replies.

What lowering springs do you have? If you can save up a little more, Id suggest the Eibach struts/shocks or Bilstein HD struts and shocks from Maximum Motorsports.

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
The car has the Ford Racing C or B springs I honestly don't remember which. And noob question ahead: what do you mean by NVH?

mustang3X

Established Member
Get the J&M race rear lowers and keep the stock uppers.

The race use a solid bushing on the axle side and will remove all the slop. I've run this set up on my last 2 cobras, works great.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
OP, I'd recommend keeping the uppers and maybe just replacing the axle side bushings. For the lowers, I would say you should stay away from 2 piece or 1 piece polyurethane bushings. They create too much bind. J&M makes a great product from all the reviews I've read. Pick street or race, I went with the street. I just haven't got my car all back together since I installed them so I can't directly comment from my experiences. I've only heard great things about them though.

Also, save some extra money for the Bilstein shocks.

Get the J&M race rear lowers and keep the stock uppers.
The race use a solid bushing on the axle side and will remove all the slop. I've run this set up on my last 2 cobras, works great.

Did you ever try the J&M street lowers for a comparison? I don't really see how there can be any "slop" with them.

Last edited:

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Are the Bilstein's really worth it? of course Ive read nothing but amazing reviews but seriously, that's $666 (creepy, right?) for front and back from American Muscle. I would prefer to go new, i don't want someones hand-me-down terminators for fear they are worn out.

Last edited:

FoxFour

Peace,Love and Soul!
Established Member
I have always used stock uppers and after market LCAs. First with my '84 SVO, and then with my current '96 Cobra, both which are/were street driven.
On the Cobra, I have the J&M street LCAs and they work great on the street. Very quiet.
My setup.
Tokico blues, J&M LCAs and c/c plates, 03 Cobra front lower control arms, C springs with poly isos,Steeds front and rear anti roll arms, 275/40 all around on 94 Cobra R wheels.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Shoeman 1

Established Member
Are the Bilstein's really worth it? of course Ive read nothing but amazing reviews but seriously, that's $666 (creepy, right?) for front and back from American Muscle. I would prefer to go new, i don't want someones hand-me-down terminators for fear they are worn out.

Best Strut/Shock out there for a SN95 bar none!!!!! Check around you can find low mileage used ones out there just be patient. I found a set of 03/04 fronts (like new) for $150 and new rears $200 from AM. Couldn't be happier!!!! Also with Bilstein's they can be rebuilt for a reasonable amount.

SVT CAMR

Established Member

blacksheep-1

Established Member
All excellent recommendations, aftermarket uppers just create more suspension bind and influence snap oversteer negatively. BTW avoid panhard bars as well with the "stock" rear suspension, they too bind the suspension.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
All excellent recommendations, aftermarket uppers just create more suspension bind and influence snap oversteer negatively. BTW avoid panhard bars as well with the "stock" rear suspension, they too bind the suspension.

Unless you do a PM3L or a torque arm. But thats another barrel of monkeys.

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the replies. still thinking about the Tokico's because they are reasonable price-wise and are new.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the replies. still thinking about the Tokico's because they are reasonable price-wise and are new.

The Bilsteins aren't that much more, and are way ****ing better lol. Do what you want though.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
i have j&m upper and lower control arms with bilstien coilovers in the rear. Awesome setup. not much binding.

Good to hear. I always liked the way the upper looked on paper. If I was not using the baseline relocation uppers for what I do I would not hesitate to get the fixed J&M uppers if I was in the market for uppers. That 3 piece design helps with movement to minimize binding. IMO

The CC plates look good too! I heard J&M was a before he was J&M was a part of Maximum Motorsports. IMO the J&M weight jackers lowers are stronger than the MM pieces because they are welded instead of the one piece bent pipe of MM. When you bend a piece of pipe the wall of the radius will be reduced. No biggie Im sure the MM pieces are fine but price wise and value there would be no reason not to roll with J&M. With that said at the time I did go with the MM CC Plates and not the J&M because J&M was all new to me at that time.

Lastly I never realized how important rear shock were to tie all the rear suspension parts together. For years I had this nice suspension set up and not knowing my shocks were bad. The minute I swapped out the rear shocks all my efforts were realized with the rest of my suspension parts. I was banging my head against the wall for 2-3 years. BTW the rear shocks I chose were strange 10 ways for a fox body car. Not the best quality but good for what I use them for.

Does anybody know the effects of relocated uppers on a road race car?

WTB Baseline Street Launch UCA kit - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Users who are viewing this thread