Rear Brake Drag

martimus_prime

Established Member
Looking for a little advice on where to look first.

Recently had the rear end of the car apart upgrading to the Ford Diff cover. While doing this I also replaced the drivers side rear wheel bearing and hub that was pretty galled, fortunately the knuckle was still ok.

Got everything back together and noticed the parking brake handle was harder to pull than previously...can only get 1 click out of it now. Anyways, didn’t think much about it and went for a drive, the drivers side brake is definitely dragging. Pass side is fine.

I suppose it could be a frozen slider pin, but it seems too coincidental that the parking brake handle is harder to pull now.

I did try the search function and after an hour of looking, decided to write this.

Thanks for the help/advice...I plan to get back in there tomorrow morning.

Albatross

Established Member
Definitely check the slide pins. Make sure the cable is routed correctly too. Also check that the inner brake pad that sits on the caliper piston is installed right. There is a notch on the piston and a little tab on the brake pad. The tab on the brake pad should fit inside the notch on the piston. Hope this helps. Good luck dude!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Along with the inner pad.

If piston wasn’t pushed all the way in

I learned on the first set of pads

Home

In here we have service manual

Parking brake handle adjustment and how to relieve pressure on cable if to tight

03' White Snake

Established Member
Check the cable is installed correctly too. They can be a real PITA to get back in correctly on the calipers. Make sure the tabs on the piston are aligned to the brake pad.

martimus_prime

Established Member
Thanks for the tips everyone...really appreciate it! I will get back into it tomorrow and let you all know. Whatever it is, I feel it will be pretty obvious!

martimus_prime

Established Member
Thanks for everyone’s help and assistance! Good news is that nothing was messed up on the caliper side, everything installed correctly and for good measure the hub but still clicks at 250ft-lb.

The issue is on the cable adjuster side and I was in pretty deep before I read up and unfortunately unwound the spring. I swear the cable is too short or something binding at the equalizer under the car.

By that point in time I was getting pretty frustrated and just disconnected the damn thing so I could go for a drive with the nice weather. Good news here is that with the parking brakes disconnected, there is no issue. I will get back into it in the next week or so, but I don’t drive it much and also park flat, so it’s fine.

Now back to breaking in the new rear axle parts (FRPP diff cover, 3.73 gears, new bearings and limited slip clutches).

thanks again!

martimus_prime

Established Member
Got back into it today and have the issue solved, no brake drag and fully operational parking brake!

Big thanks to everyone and hotcobra03....it’s amazing how much simpler life can be when you read the service manual. Straight forward to re-wind the lever spring, hold it with a small screwdriver, set the equalizer and pull the pin.

thanks again all!

Users who are viewing this thread