Really smooth sounding exhaust?

im4darush

Established Member
44's in stainless steel are not painted black. You can't get them with the catback, only available individually or with their turndown system. Same super 44 muffler, same dimensions. I wanted the sound of the 44 but did not want the FM tail pipes so I ordered the turndown catback and got the fully polished tails from AM. Fits fine and mufflers are 409 stainless. In terms of sound..I believe the terminator sound you are talking about is flowmaster. By far the most popular because the sound is fantastic. Drone....yes they do! However, the key to drone is long tube headers!!! Been down this road many times. My current setup is off road H, BBK long tubes and supper 44 with full tail pipes. No drone at all.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
The Corral used to have a sound clip of a '98 GT with the full Bassani setup in their tech section. Sounded very mellow, almost like an exotic.

aloo1

Established Member
Your problem is the fact that you have a muffler that isn't terrific and you also have turndowns. Fix either or both and enjoy. Removing cats makes it crackle and pop a lot more.

So what mufflers will be better when using with an H Pipe. Most listed in this thread are straight through style mufflers. Isn't the consensus xpipe's go with straight through style and hpipes go with chambered style mufflers? As far as turn downs, what would be my options b/c I don't want to have tails? Think having the pipe extend over the axle and turn town right before the gas tank facing down and out to the sides would be better? Just really tired of having the lack of bubble sound at low rpms. it's just one constant sound, almost like a low tone leaf blower. Sounds great once it gets to around 2700 rpm and up.
Thnaks.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
So what mufflers will be better when using with an H Pipe. Most listed in this thread are straight through style mufflers. Isn't the consensus xpipe's go with straight through style and hpipes go with chambered style mufflers? As far as turn downs, what would be my options b/c I don't want to have tails? Think having the pipe extend over the axle and turn town right before the gas tank facing down and out to the sides would be better? Just really tired of having the lack of bubble sound at low rpms. it's just one constant sound, almost like a low tone leaf blower. Sounds great once it gets to around 2700 rpm and up.
Thnaks.

If you want a smooth exhaust, don't get dumps. They make it sound louder and kill sound quality.
Yes, the consensus is to use straight thru with X and chambered with H. Don't be afraid to try to mix and match though. The reason people get an H pipe is because they want it to have a deeper tone. The chambered mufflers create a deeper tone too, so they go with each other. However, if you put an aggressive straight thru muffler with a catted H pipe, it should sound great. Then you'll want to try the X pipe since that smooths out the exhaust flow at mid and higher rpms... and you said you wanted a smooth exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread