Really smooth sounding exhaust?

GottaBeA4V

Established Member
Hey guys, I don't post much here, usually a reader and observer, but as I get close to getting a sn cobra I've searched and searched but can't find the answer.

It seems like its mainly on terminators I hear this, but there is a certain exhaust setup that sounds ridiculously smooth idling (almost like a boat does idling with the exhaust letting out under water..kinda bubbly and smooth) and when you're just getting on barely it also sounds smooth..anyone know what I'm thinking about? I'd really appreciate it.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Don't mind the cam.. I think my borlas are pretty smooth..
[youtube_browser]eiJ3F7dxvL8&list=UUfEEXVqANwzK4O-kvT2jqEg[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]rBsCyUsQoyE&list=UUfEEXVqANwzK4O-kvT2jqEg[/youtube_browser]

crazycarlo

Established Member
Exhaust is so personal man. My advice would be go to a few car shows or meets and see what you like. Almost any setup is going to sound smooth as long as the car has cats on it.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
These cars usually have great exhaust tones, I think long headers quiet them down a bit and an off-road mid pipe (no cats) always makes them louder. But they normally sound great, anything 05+ has kind of lost the exhaust tone magic IMO, I rarely hear a newer car that sounds good. Many of them are loud, few sound good.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Longtubes generally make a car quieter at idle but louder when going WOT.

I have Bassani and it was loud but smooth when I had cats. I've had an o/r x for a few years and my exhaust is even louder but not has a crackle to is ESP on decel. Fwiw I love it but I'm thinking of switching to magnapacks on whatever vehicle I have next.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
If you want smooth keep the cats on. Catted X pipe is great for smoothness. Pair that with a straight thru muffler style like Borla XS or Magnaflow for a quiet smooth sound. If you want a smooth but louder sound try a more aggressive muffler like Borla Stingers or Magnapacks.

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Old thread, but here's my 2003 Mach 1 for comparison.
MAC 1-5/8" long tubes, 2.5" offroad prochamber, Magnaflow mufflers, 3" tailpipes.

[youtube_browser]jPzsBuoBOYM[/youtube_browser]

aloo1

Established Member
Borla ProXS or Magnaflow, with a catted mid pipe, both sound smooth in my opinion.

How does having the cats on it make it smoother? I would think the more restriction would give it a more muffled and drone type sound under low throttle. I ask b/c I have stock headers, bbk catted h pipe, 2.5 inch pypes flow tubes to thrush welded mufflers to turntowns at a 45degree towards the rear tire. sounds great when she's opening up but if I'm crusing through a parking low at low rpm it doesn't sound that good imo. I thought getting rid of the cats would help this but after reading this thread, it seems I should keep them on.
Thanks

Last edited:

Cowtown

Established Member
How does having the cats on it make it smoother? I would think the more restriction would give it a more muffled and drone type sound under low throttle. I ask b/c I have stock headers, bbk catted h pipe, 2.5 inch pypes flow tubes to thrush welded mufflers to turntowns at a 45degree towards the rear tire. sounds great when she's opening up but if I'm crusing through a parking low at low rpm it doesn't sound that good imo. I thought getting rid of the cats would help this but after reading this thread, it seems I should keep them on.
Thanks

From my experience your mufflers will likely be the cause of that drone in your car. If they're the chambered style I'm thinking of they're pretty much like a Flowmaster which is well known to drone at highway cruise. I absolutely love the sound of Flowmasters, just suits my ears, but I am unlikely to put them on the Cobra due to the drone. The Thrush are very likely what you'd need to change to fix your issue, going with offroad cats certainly won't.

Last edited:

aloo1

Established Member
From my experience your mufflers will likely be the cause of that drone in your car. If they're the chambered style I'm thinking of they're pretty much like a Flowmaster which is well known to drone at highway cruise. I absolutely love the sound of Flowmasters, just suits my ears, but I am unlikely to put them on the Cobra due to the drone. The Thrush are very likely what you'd need to change to fix your issue, going with offroad cats certainly won't.

So what mufflers would you suggest with an H pipe that won't drone with turn downs? The mufflers I had before were flowmasters 40's and yes the thrush's are just like them and I love the sound, and don't even mind the drone that much on the highway, I just wish it had more of a bubbling sound instead of what sound like to me at low rpm just crusing, just one solid stream of low tone sound.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Borla XR-1s and Dynomax Race Bullets are the mufflers that sound bubbly. I really like both so you cant go wrong. But I am a Bassani man all the way, nothing comes close to the pure ear-gasm exhaust note.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Thanks

Your problem is the fact that you have a muffler that isn't terrific and you also have turndowns. Fix either or both and enjoy. Removing cats makes it crackle and pop a lot more.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
I think I know what you are referring to. does the car you have in mind have the stock exhaust manifolds? I say that as I think the burble or gurgle you are looking for is more pronounced with stock manifolds. if so, friend of mine sound exactly like some of the terminators I have heard and has the burble sound. he has an UPR o/r X and flowmaster mufflers. not sure which ones...he got them used. I do know that are not black so not the super 40's or 44's as they are both painted black I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread