Reality check needed building a 347 stroker for 94 Mustang

paynecasey

Established Member
I just want to get a reality check here. I fancy the idea of buying engine parts separately and building my own pushrod 347 in my garage while enjoying my current engine in the car till done.

Most I've done with cars is replace all fluids, change spark plugs.

Am I getting over my head in Fantasy land or with patients and reading it should be no problem?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
You don't learn by reading about it.

You don't learn by paying somebody else to do it.

You learn by hard work, making mistakes, and just getting grease under your nails. Don't hesitate. Do it

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
you learn by doing but i must warn you that building a stroker engine is alot more intensive than just "bolting the parts together." The biggest issue with building an engine in your garage is you don't have the equipment to verify the machining is correct on the block and crank. A few things off by a mere .005" can be enough to destroy your whole engine. You cant exactly check cylinder bore diameters, deck squareness, camshaft bore alignment, bearing clearances..etc with a tape measure.

Unless you have money to blow i would recommend sticking with crate engines from reputable companies. If you do build yourself make sure you don't get the block machined at "billy bobs automotive" go to the best machine shop you can find.

Not trying to discourage you just being realistic.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
The first time (or two) you should do it with someone who knows how to do it. Otherwise you will botch something and cost yourself a lot of $$.

Zemedici

Established Member
tbh, i'd leave something as intricate as building a motor to the professionals. Hell I can turn wrenches and still usually pay my guys to do it for me. It is what they do all day, every day. Chances are they are better at it than I am.

Know what I mean?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Buy a few engine building guides for that engine. Read it a few times, and decide if thats something you want to handle. Its 100% doable if you are mechanically inclined and you pay good attention to detail.

fishpick

Established Member
Anyone can build a little ole engine... it's EASY!

master tech.jpg

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It's doable, what you're after. Actually building an engine is not difficult. Building it well, takes patience, knowledge and experience and proper tools. Most people are missing those last few items. Knowledge you can get from all over the place, but you'll lack experience the first time out and you'll need proper tools. Tools alone that may set you back in the thousands of dollars.

If you have no aim to continue to build your own engines, or you just need this one, you're likely going to be better off simply having the engine built for you.

It's okay to buy parts and store them as money permits, then send it all off when it's time.

08mojo

Established Member
Don't let these guys scare you. It is something you can do at home. I would (and have done this several times) have a reputable machine shop do all the machining and measuring. This will cost you some money, but it is not an option. Once that is done, bolt it together. The 302 pushrod builds are about as simple as it gets when it comes to building an engine.

Just take your time and make sure you do it right. If you have any questions along the way, post it up! To be honest though, it's pretty straightforward. The machine shop will have done all the 'hard' work for you. Don't skimp on the torque wrench--spend the money on something nice and you will have/use it for a long long time.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Go for it. If you're not looking to make crazy power or anything like that, you can assemble an engine in your garage easily with basic tools. Feeler gauges and plastigauge will get you "close enough" to have a well running engine that you can have pride in building yourself. It's called hot rodding - people have been doing it forever and for good reason.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
You can also ask them to mic the entire assembly out for you on the bores, journals, and bearings. Thus you'll have a starting point. Given they are grinding it all, they should have it anyway.

From there you can match the piston size to bore size, know your clearances off the bat prior to assembly, and then intelligently use plastigauge as a medium to do the final details.

Or you could just buy a manual dial caliper set and a borescope gauge set like I did and yolo.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
The assembly of a basic engine is not the expensive part. Parts and machining is where most of your $ goes. Sure you can save $500-$800 assembling yourself...but to me it isn't worth it.

paynecasey

Established Member
Thanks everyone for input. I just want a garage project where I'd assemble it not as a cost saver but for the experience. And I was thinking of using a shop for the grinding and milling as needed.

Wonder who is best shop closest to western KY.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Everyone who has ever assembled an engine had to do it the first time once......

As has been stated, some good manuals help. Try to find ones that are very specific as possible. Several will help. Good tools will be an investment, but you don't need Snap-On for anything (unless you work in a dealership and want to impress everyone).

Lastly, don't get in a hurry and don't try to half ass something. Take your time and do it like your manuals instruct. If it says you should plastigauge a clearance, do it.

Go for it man!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I say go for it! its only money. you can always make more..... at least thats what I always tell myself when I'm about to spend money on car shit smh

blinelaxd27

Established Member
my advice would be to buy an old pushrod motor for a few hundred bucks and disassemble and then assemble it. if you can do that then you can try and do it with a more expensive custom engine build.

Users who are viewing this thread