Realistically, what is my KB worth

96S/Cobra

Established Member
First off, this is NOT a for sale thread.

I am looking for some of your guys opinions on what you realistically think my KB that is on my 96 Cobra is worth. I ask this because trying to find one of these used kits for sale is few and far between. I see S trims for sale all day long, so figuring out an asking price should be relatively easy for one of those, but it seems that really no one hardly ever sells on of these KB's, so I'm not too sure what to ask. This blower is still on my car, and I have been kicking around going ahead and trying to sell it so I can install the Vortech that I purchased quite some time ago. There are no known problems with the blower what so ever. Here are the details:

Kenne Bell 1.5L blower, with the inlet elbow being gloss black powdercoated
42# injectors
Lightning 90mm MAF
4 different pullies ranging in 5-12 psi
KB pully removal tool
Cornwell allen tool extension (necessary for installation/removal of the blower)
Complete installation/instruction manual
2 quarts of Redline synthetic racing oil (for use in the supercharger)
KB specific grease and grease gun for lubing the blower
Belt (possibly 2 belts, I would have to dig around a bit)
All the hardware needed to install the blower
Along with any other parts that would belong with the kit that I cannot think of at the moment

The only thing that would be needed for someone to install this kit on their car would be a 255 lph fuel pump and a tune.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
What hp and tq are you making with the KB?

Well my car is not the best example to show what the KB's are capable of, but it made 325rwhp and 345rwtq on a mustang dyno. I only had it dynoed this once and was told by several people that they thought the dyno was off at this particular shop for whatever reason.

But with that being said, those numbers were were with much lower compression than a stock engine would have. I believe a stock 96-98 cobra engine is 9.85:1 compression, while my engine is 8.8:1, so over 1 point lower. I have been told that this drop in compression will drastically hurt the numbers. My engine's compression is lower because I knew that down the road I was eventually going to sell the KB and step up to something much larger that produces much more boost, so when I had my short block built with forged internals I decided to drop the compression because of looking into the future.

There are a few others on this board who have the same blower and make much more power/better numbers than I do.

sighwest

Established Member
I wouldn't sell mine for any less than 18-1900. Maybe even 2 grand. I don't see many being advertised, and frequently have seen people wtb them. I think I paid 2000 for mine, after someone told the guy selling he'd never get that price.

Oh, and that was minus the 42 lb injectors. Mine came with the fmu and fewer pulleys.

Last edited:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
2k shipped is the lowest I would take for that kit along with the MAF injectors, etc.

I shelled out 1200 for mine w/ the exchange of my factory upper about 2 years ago.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the reply's everyone, I appreciate it.

And I agree, with the exception of one that I can think of, I don't think I have really seen any of these for sale on here, corral, modfords, etc.

I guess when I'm ready to pull the trigger we'll see what people are willing to spend for one. Thanks again.

Toasty

Established Member
I'd probably ask for around $1800.

1800-2000k sounds fair with all the bits you have.

I paid ~1600 for mine which had everything you list plus a walbro 255 intank pump. It was however missing pretty much every important bolt/capscrew and also some KB specific parts (IAC mount, EGR mount, etc). I ended up spending a few hundred bucks more at KB for 2-3 more pullies, and the other bits I needed. Total PITA.

Toasty

Established Member
Well my car is not the best example to show what the KB's are capable of, but it made 325rwhp and 345rwtq on a mustang dyno. I only had it dynoed this once and was told by several people that they thought the dyno was off at this particular shop for whatever reason.

My car at 5.5-6psi put down almost those exact numbers on my first dyno run on a MD dyno. My tuner indicated that stock 03-04 terminators were putting down about 335rwhp on his dyno for a relative comparison. Dyno numbers are great and all, but an MD dyno is best suited for tuning, not getting bragging dyno numbers.

I stepped up to the 7.5-8psi pulley and a bottle of lucas octane boost in every tank for safety. I may return in the spring for a follow up tune and check or I may just put my efforts into my 03-04 conversion and a kb 2.2.

98svtconvert

Established Member
numbers

just to give some more numbers on what these make for power. numbers were made on a dyno jet. check sig.

Justin

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread