Realistic Used Car Trade In Scenario

CM5878

Established Member
So some of you may have seen my thread about CC debt and I need to cut the cord with my Shelby GT. The car has been listed for months with no bites and Im tired of knowing I can cut out like $12k of debt after a used car purchase. Ive set my sights on a used Focus at 3 dealerships, each around $5k. Really, what can I offer them and how do I integrate my Shelby into this? I know the smart thing to do is sell privately but Im tired of the car sitting over my head.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
couple of things:

1. what year are the focus? you may wind up with more problems than a bit of debt

2. how much do you owe on the shelby vs. what you can get? I would suggest taking it to carmax before you try to use it on a trade in of any kind

CM5878

Established Member
Well there aren't any Carmax's in NJ I believe and I hold the title on the car. As for a Focus probably around an 04-06 with under 100k miles. Just looking for somewhat reliable transportation. I see Shelbys all day going for $17k-$19k with my mileage.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Well there aren't any Carmax's in NJ I believe and I hold the title on the car. As for a Focus probably around an 04-06 with under 100k miles. Just looking for somewhat reliable transportation. I see Shelbys all day going for $17k-$19k with my mileage.
as long as you stay away from the 2010-2012 you should be good. and you will not get 17-19k from a dealer if they are going for that in the market

XtraTQ

Established Member
If no Carmax close, you could try contacting all of the local Ford dealers and see if they'd be interested in buying it outright.

Never_Enough

Established Member

Come on over here, there is a Carmax in King of Prussia.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Do you have any consignment lots or dealers nearby?
Maybe check with a dealership to see if they'd be interested in a consignment scenario or selling it for a commission.
You will get hosed on a trade-in.

NastyNate420

Established Member
Guy you have a Carmax less than 45 mins from you yet you said there arent any around!
Then you dismiss it like where ever that is ..... obviously your situation isnt bad enough that you are actually willing to do something about it! GL ... maybe one day youll grow up!

CM5878

Established Member
image.jpeg

Guy you have a Carmax less than 45 mins from you yet you said there arent any around!
Then you dismiss it like where ever that is ..... obviously your situation isnt bad enough that you are actually willing to do something about it! GL ... maybe one day youll grow up!

Last edited:

sleek98

Established Member
We sold our Edge to a local dealer, didnt buy a new car from them. They offered us the high side of auction prices and 500-1,000 more than the dealers we were looking at buying her Passat from.

They called us off of Craigslist. Was the smoothest transaction yet.

If the market for them is 17-19 I would expect you to be offered 13-15K on trade in. If you trade it in for a cheaper car they will just cut you a check for the difference between the focus and the mustang.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, work a deal on the focus first. Then see what they offer on trade. I recently traded my Focus for a SHO and it really threw them off-balance when they low balled me on the trade and I said "no thanks, i'll sell it outright". They thought I was bailing on the SHO, but I just told them I'd buy it with no trade. They came back with a fair trade offer and we worked a deal. But I made sure and settled the SHO price first.

as long as you stay away from the 2010-2012 you should be good. and you will not get 17-19k from a dealer if they are going for that in the market

2010 is fine, its the 2011+ that are jacked up.

Users who are viewing this thread