Real world MPG

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Mike you won't have your car long enough to worry if the engine ticks or not, if history is a sign of cars to come.

Yeah yeah...so I get bored with cars easily...what's your point? :banana:

I'm actually gonna change mine this weekend since the garage will be open. The fox gets dropped off tomorrow night to get the hood painted, and it'll be gone for about a week or so I'm guessing, which leaves me some time to do some maintenance on my car, and probably fix the probe again too.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Wait a second. You're getting a new hood on the Mustang that you have been doing a resto on and have been in the final stages of putting on the street for the past 3-4 years? Sounds like you need to start a new thread so I can be updated.

TRBO VNM

Wait a second. You're getting a new hood on the Mustang that you have been doing a resto on and have been in the final stages of putting on the street for the past 3-4 years? Sounds like you need to start a new thread so I can be updated.

Bottom line, he mods one thing, it screws something else up, fixes that and it affects something else....and so on.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member

Yes. LOL. The intake was rubbing on the bottom of the hood. Since it won't be in race form for a few years, I figure I might as well show it. The original hood had some paint damage from sitting in my parents garage, and rather than get that repainted (especially since I needed a bit more clearance anyway), I got a Cervinis cowl instead. I actually looked hard for a hood that wasn't a cowl, but I couldn't find anything I liked..so 2 1/2" cowl it is.

I also threw ceramic coated long tubes on it, and swapped out my entire intake setup for a power pipe and an LMAF. The interior is *almost* done. I need to send the steering wheel out to be recovered, at which point I'm calling the interior done until I have a couple grand to get some quality seats (think sparco/recaro) and have them recovered. The ones I have now will work until then.

Then it's tint, the entire MM suspension setup, trans, and rebuilding the rear again 31spline. Then I'll find something else I'm sure. You know how it is..they are never really done. But the car is perfectly driveable. It's sitting outside in the parking lot right now, I drove it to work this morning.

mgmustang1

Established Member
I'm glad I didn't waste my time buying a focus st. I avg 26-27 mpg city/highway combined in my caliber srt4 with more hp and less technology. I'm glad I didn't wait!

korizmo

I like Lamp
Established Member
after 2 tanks average speed around 45-55mph and shifting around 2-3k rpm through 1-2-3rd. My average is 27.9

SVT Rob

Established Member
I'm seeing about 25mpg out of mine, but I've only had it a little over 24 hours. I'm definitely having a lot more fun with it and getting better fuel economy out of it, than I was driving my Cobra the same way.

TRBO VNM

Chocolate chip please:lol:

Thats my pick. I will leave you the oatmeal raisin.

I am getting 26.3 now, but odd because I haven't been babying it as much the past week and picked up 0.3mpg. Curious what happens with tune and intercooler/intake upgrades because others have picked up a decent amount. So right now I am getting the same mpg as I was with my 03 hyundai and having a hell of a lot more fun.

TRBO VNM

Not sure if this thread will get much attention, but figured I would post in it instead of starting a new one....

So talking with Fishtail last night about the MPG, I have been stuck in the 26.x range for a month now. I never bothered checking the odometer and doing my own calculations, but he was telling me that he resets the mpg just about, if not every fill up. This is something I only did after my first fill up. Whenever I do fill it up the system tells me I have about 320-330 miles until empty. So this morning I filled up and reset the counter and my whole way to work I was getting over 30 mpg and it was showing almost 350 miles till empty.

What are others doing? I normally don't care too much about the mpg, but figured with the ST I wanted to try and keep a better eye on it to see what I am really getting. I guess resetting it everyone tank or couple tanks is the way to go to see what I am really getting for that tank?

Last edited:

NEMES1S

Established Member
I will be honest. I have only hit about 250 till empty. I had one trip where I drove the speed limit or 5 miles below and got 32 highway. Now I have 4500miles on my car and 21mpg is what I get highway/city. It could be that my drive to work is only about 5 miles highway. I drive up and down rt.210 it seems like each light is red. So it is a lot of stop and go. So 21mpg is what I get daily but it is way better then my truck which was 12mpg on a good drive. So the 21mpg I get in the ST isn't bad to me, but I would like it to raise some more.

SVT Rob

Established Member
I use 91 Octane, that's about the best we have in this area. In my Cobra, I was averaging 17.5 mpg with mostly city driving. Driving the same areas with the ST, I'm averaging 23.5-24.5 mpg. It's definitely an improvement over what I had.

When driving on the highway, I can get in the mid-30's, but most of my in-town driving is lots of hills, so it doesn't fare very well, and kills my mpg average. I reset the indicator every fill up. Currently have less than 1500 miles on the car.

TRBO VNM

I am just under 3000 miles. Luckliy my trip to work is about 20 miles and most of it is no lights, so I can cruise for a bit around 60-65mph. This morning from the cruising are to the stop and go areas I would fluctuate about 1 mpg. while cruising I was around 33 and I think when I parked it showed 32.4.

It will be interesting to see how this goes for the week. I will probably start driving like I used to. For the past week or two I have been babying it big time to try and get the ecomode trophy thing, but once I reset the mpg this morning, all that changed.

I was thinking yesterday, while I am sure I am totally wrong, but by ford putting in these ecomode goals to hit, if you are really trying to hit them, then you are driving much safer. Ford playing reverse psychology on us and using these damn flowers as a game to make us drive safe. Bastards.

TRBO VNM

Got over 30 on the way home from work as well. It definitely drops quick in city, but picks back up when cruising. We will see how it works out. As mentioned, I will probably reset every other tank or so.

Users who are viewing this thread