READ THIS! -- Guys using the upgraded input shaft/flywheel/clutch

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Thanks again Jason! I've got the liberty 26 spline, Spec 3 clutch, with the spec aluminum flywheel, not sure if it was the stock TOB or Specs? The Spec is holding up fine especially at the track..... :burnout: :burnout: I've read where several are getting the McLeod(sp) TOB as an upgrade. Since track season is just getting going maybe I'd better order one now... :-D

TRBO VNM

wiseguy said:
Do you think it was always like that or did somthing change?

I bet it was something in the setup. I haven't seen a Spec clutch setup, but I know some others with other combo's have had issues with the fork hitting the pressure plate when the clutch is fully depressed to the floor. I had this issue. the resolution is to space out the clutch fork pivot ball on the tranny. Tommy did this to his, I did it to mine and I will normally put a lock washer or something in there at a minimum to help reduce the chance of it happening.

I had the DFX setup with a RPS(Cyn-R-G) flywheel and it did it. Prasad had the same problem with the same setup. I changed my flywheel, but I kept the spacer in there as I didn't feel like dropping the tranny again.

I think most with the DFX setup and fidanza flywheel have not put this spacer on the pivot ball and are not having issues.

I didn't understand part of what Jason posted, but talked to him on the phone. When he removed the clutch cable from Matt's car the fork would not budge. Like it was pinched in there by the tranny and pressure plate. this is not good.

who installed that clutch setup Matt? I know ELD did the first clutch and your input shaft swap, but you went through that clutch fast and replaced it with this one. Whoever installed it should have noticed this.

Wiseguy

Established Member
Yeah I have had to space the pivot ball also on some. From what he said it seemed like something failed or changed. Has Matt had any problems with shifting ,clutch performance until now-besides a bad bearing. Wondering if the sleeve failed or the tob grooved the sleeve?

TRBO VNM

wiseguy said:
Yeah I have had to space the pivot ball also on some. From what he said it seemed like something failed or changed. Has Matt had any problems with shifting ,clutch performance until now-besides a bad bearing. Wondering if the sleeve failed or the tob grooved the sleeve?

I am not really sure. Matt has been in hiding lately and I didn't know he had a problem at all. I might change my sleeve whenever I get it rebuilt or if it fails.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
I think this is just a TOB gone bad. I've had the Spec in over a year, lots of track time included. It was only recently that all the clutch play had gone. I'll take the blame because I realize now I wasn't adjusting the cable out regularly like I should have been doing and then it fried completely.

The CFDF didn't last because it couldn't handle my track abuse.

THis is very good info about the clutch fork spacing,etc..

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
my car shifts like butter now with the spaced out pivot ball...

but so did jason's until he did a burnout then tried. I have yet to do that as I'm a lazy bastard and haven't been to the track in forever...lol

TRBO VNM

lRageATMl said:
my car shifts like butter now with the spaced out pivot ball...

but so did jason's until he did a burnout then tried. I have yet to do that as I'm a lazy bastard and haven't been to the track in forever...lol

I believe my problem was actually my blown up pilot bearing..but who knows.

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
:-D My car is fine with the upgraded sleeve and 26 spline :-D and I do have a little endplay even with the LDC mod its just perfect :rockon:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Question !!!

I got a 2000 gt with Centerforce Dual friction clutch, and just recently my clutch cable broke. I replaced it with a Steeda clutch cable and quadrand. Now after the install the clutch feels good but I have this chirpping under my car, I went to steeda to ask about it and the guy told me my throw out bearing was going out. He said "It will just be anoying" so I left it like that but it seems its been getting more noticeable.. Is there something I can do ?

TRBO VNM

merauder323 said:
I got a 2000 gt with Centerforce Dual friction clutch, and just recently my clutch cable broke. I replaced it with a Steeda clutch cable and quadrand. Now after the install the clutch feels good but I have this chirpping under my car, I went to steeda to ask about it and the guy told me my throw out bearing was going out. He said "It will just be anoying" so I left it like that but it seems its been getting more noticeable.. Is there something I can do ?

if it's the TOB, replace it. that is about all you can do. or continue to deal with it.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Is that gonna affect or cause damage to anything else or is it just anoying? What about tightning/loosening the clutch cable a little more at the clutch fork? it seems when I lightly put a little pressure on the clutch it goes away...

TRBO VNM

merauder323 said:
Is that gonna affect or cause damage to anything else or is it just anoying? What about tightning/loosening the clutch cable a little more at the clutch fork? it seems when I lightly put a little pressure on the clutch it goes away...

if it is making the noise without even touching the pedal there really is nothing you can do. it will just get worse. it shouldn't damage anything else except your ears from the annoying sound. although I could affect the retaining sleeve I would think

Users who are viewing this thread