RE: New 5.0 - Is this possible??

need4snake

Banned
Figured I would ask this question where I have more friends, since everyone over there thinks I'm just another jerk with a terminator.

Quote from another forum in reference to the new 5.0 -

"The new platform is a no-brainer. A friend of mine with an 2012 auto, shorty headers/full exhaust, Boss intale, CAI, tune and DRs is running bottom 11s, sick car..."

I just don't believe you can go from a mid/high 12 second car to "bottom 11's" with those mods unless the car has had some *serious* weight loss.

mach1033

Established Member
Everyone has a buddy that did something. Even a video wouldn't mean crap to me. I would have to see it for myself. Meaning I would have to say that a buddy of mine did xyz to his car and ran this time. Not saying it isn't possible but to drop 1.5 seconds from just bolt ons requires a hell of a driver.

zeusha

Established Member
Everyone has a buddy that did something. Even a video wouldn't mean crap to me. I would have to see it for myself. Meaning I would have to say that a buddy of mine did xyz to his car and ran this time. Not saying it isn't possible but to drop 1.5 seconds from just bolt ons requires a hell of a driver.
:rockon:

need4snake

Banned
Yep... I mean I know some cars are just drastically de-tuned from the factory, but I was under the impression that even the new 5.0 is only good for your typical 30-40 RWHP N/A bolt-on's and then your done unless you want to start building the motor and boosting it.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but the new 5.0's are fast and have a lot of potential. The key here is dr's/slicks getting traction. I know not having traction on my termi can be the difference in over a half a second alone.... And that's going from a KDW 2 to a MT ET street radial

need4snake

Banned
Man a few months ago I was debating on a terminator vs. a new 5.0 and I was convinced the terminator was the better car. So I picked this one up a few months ago. I love it, but I wonder if I would have been better off with the 5.0.

I mean everything I ever read was like Terminator = fully built race motor out of the box, just add the boost and fuel and go.... vs. dealing with typical N/A bolt on crap like I did with my Mach 1 and being so excited to make 30 RWHP more on the dyno.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Mid to low 11s is very possible with the new 5.0, our tuner at AED has one with tune on E85 and slicks and is running like 11.7the big thing is that you can launch this cars hard and with 03/04 you cant.
[youtube_browser]ixy4lZ2XbWU&feature[/youtube_browser]

But I would still take a 03/04 anyday, more of a rare car and will be worth more one day and should hold its value better to.

need4snake

Banned
Mid to low 11s is very possible with the new 5.0, our tuner at AED has one with tune on E85 and slicks and is running like 11.7the big thing is that you can launch this cars hard and with 03/04 you cant.
[youtube_browser]ixy4lZ2XbWU&feature[/youtube_browser]

But I would still take a 03/04 anyday, more of a rare car and will be worth more one day and should hold its value better to.

Yes, that was a deciding factor. Never been a GT fan from a value perspective. Always liked limited production mustangs better.

So what was his 60' foot time running an 11.7 with slicks and E85?

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
probably more like a 1.5.... Evolution went 11.7 FULL WEIGHT with just exhaust a tune and slicks in a 6 speed manual. If that were an auto it would been 11.5 no problem.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
No its not. The stock pistons arnt as great as you think. A full race motor and forged internals are two different things. Like I said in a previous post that you failed to comprehend, these pistons have failed at 600. I personally had a STOCK terminator break a rod. I'm just trying to help you understand nothing is bullet proof, especially when your making power. Anything can happen. The new 5.0s are making great power and having good results on the internals they have. The terminator is a great car but just realize its out of date and we've moved on to better platforms

crazyhorse89

Established Member
So does that mean you'll never get disappointed by a new 5.0?

No no not at all. Just made my day bc I wasn't even in the mood to race but the lil bastard wouldn't leave me alone. It was a quick car but after talking to him he said "what size Whipple you got?". When I said she's stock except for exhaust he got really really bummed out. I just chuckled and lifted the hood. I love the new 5.0's just always wanted my Cobra.

need4snake

Banned
So does that mean you'll never get disappointed by a new 5.0?

dude are you like 16 years old? shut the f*ck up PLEASE!!!

who the hell cares! Whoever spends the most $$ is gonna win, that's the way it always is. I'm still at the conclusion that a decent used terminator is a better overall investment and bang for buck than a new GT. Thats all I was ever trying to say in the other thread. If you disagree, fine don't be an immature (edited by moderator) about it.

mach1033

Established Member
Man a few months ago I was debating on a terminator vs. a new 5.0 and I was convinced the terminator was the better car. So I picked this one up a few months ago. I love it, but I wonder if I would have been better off with the 5.0.

I mean everything I ever read was like Terminator = fully built race motor out of the box, just add the boost and fuel and go.... vs. dealing with typical N/A bolt on crap like I did with my Mach 1 and being so excited to make 30 RWHP more on the dyno.

Not taking anything away from the new 5.0 but u made the right choice. There is just something special about an 03/04 Cobra.

crazyhorse89

Established Member
dude are you like 16 years old? shut the f*ck up PLEASE!!!

who the hell cares! Whoever spends the most $$ is gonna win, that's the way it always is. I'm still at the conclusion that a decent used terminator is a better overall investment and bang for buck than a new GT. Thats all I was ever trying to say in the other thread. If you disagree, fine don't be an immature(edited by moderator) about it.

Well here was our facts. Mine: 68000 miles, k&n air box, ss catted pipe, ss magnaflow cat back. That's it. Everything else from Ford. Him: 20000 miles, cold air intake and some kinda aftermarket mufflers. It was a nice car and not knocking it at all, but kid just thought it was the baddest thing ever. Coulda gone either way and I know that. Believe me I do enough racing in my life that there's faster shit out there. We were gonna get new heads for the race car to give us 60 more horse at the cost of 4 grand for just the heads. Like said above, more $$$, faster you go. Sorry for the rant but just because I made one statement bout out running one of the new cars doesn't mean I think I'm gonna beat them all. Don't care if I do either as long as he/she isn't a doucher if they win

Users who are viewing this thread