re:ideas on getting 500 hp na

Jonny00GT

Established Member
It looks like the last owner lied by about 50HP

Maybe he dyno'd the car in January when it's cold and the air is denser...in CANADA!!! LOL! People fluffing thier power numbers...that NEVER happens!:nonono: :dw:

That's a stout NA car! If you're gonna play with boost and you're handy with tools and have a welder, turbo is the way to go. Ebay hot side will get you half way there on tubing. Check out the Termi Turbo forum. Lost of write ups on single builds. Did mine for < $2K.

-Jonny

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Giving up already and going FI? You gotta keep trying..especially with a 5.4 liter.

Don't forget it is RWHP...make sure you are minimizing Drivetrain loss as well.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
car dynoed at 375 rwhp and 412 torque safe tune im happy but Wnt more GOING TO CHECK THE COMPRESSION THIS WEEKEND hoping low for a tubro or kennebell
375/412 is preety stout, that's more torque than an Al P. combo that has the better 03/04 heads, custom cams, aussie intake and was built for torque.

Gotta love that stock intake for torque, and some "5.4 people" say stock cobra intake won't work on a 5.4, hmmm

This is proof it will work fine on a 5.4 with 99/01 heads and as long as the cams are mild the it will place peak power at the same point as the aussie intakes, but power will drop off rapidly thereafter. A short runner will get you more hp, probably around 400rwhp but it will reduce torque a little.

A compression check will not tell you the compression ratio. I doubt very much that it's at 12:1 as that would require expensive pistons and since it has 99/01 heads and a stock intake I doubt they spent that kinda money.

Last edited:

01VNMS4v

T-E-X-A-S!!
Established Member
car dynoed at 375 rwhp and 412 torque safe tune im happy but Wnt more GOING TO CHECK THE COMPRESSION THIS WEEKEND hoping low for a tubro or kennebell

:banana: im in sa and i put close to what you have as well, but im doing it on a built 4.6 motor

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
OP, I would venture to say that it isn't 12:1 compression. As mentioned before..it would require some domed pistons, especially since 99/01 heads have big combustion chambers when compared to 96-98&03/04 heads [IIRC]

:banana: im in sa and i put close to what you have as well, but im doing it on a built 4.6 motor

and I put down 371 SAE on a 4.6 stock shortblock, unported heads&intake.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
especially since 99/01 heads have big combustion chambers when compared to 96-98&03/04 heads [IIRC]

The heads have nothing to do with it Chris, it's the piston to deck clearance of .120" that kills compression
...and I put down 371 SAE on a 4.6 stock shortblock, unported heads&intake.

Look at his torque though. Oh, and he probably made peak at 5500rpm.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Look at his torque though. Oh, and he probably made peak at 5500rpm.

I was going to mention that I made significantly less torque than him..but I figured I would save it for you to rain on my parade instead.

And I made that @ only 6200RPM and shut it down before it started to drop.

fangs99

Established Member
I belive he's saying the how far the pistons are still in the whole make a bigger difference than the 2cc difference between 99/01 heads and the 96/98 & 03/04 heads. The OP can have the heads decked .12 to make his heads 52cc's

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The heads have nothing to do with it Chris, it's the piston to deck clearance of .120" that kills compression

Are you saying the size of the combustion chamber has nothing to do with the compression ratio?

The 99/01 heads have chambers that are 2cc larger than the 03/04s and B heads, that 2cc changes CR by only .2 in a 5.4.

The OP can have the heads decked .12 to make his heads 52cc's
Do you mean .012"? Removing .120" from the heads will cause some serious issues.

Last edited:

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
I didn't see his response if he was running long tubes or stock exhaust. If your on stock exhaust manifolds your leaving alot on the table. Gotta remember it is a big air pump, you want alot of air to come in, you got to get it out just as quick.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I read an interesting article in "Engine Masters" magazine about a dyno tested 5.4 that made about 575 HP NA.

Actually, it was a wet sump GT 5.4 based 358 inch mill. The displacement increase was the key to the extra HP. They re-sleeved the block for a larger bore.

It had fully ported GT heads, Cobra R lower, custom upper intake, and shortened crank counterweights to reduce windage.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I read an interesting article in "Engine Masters" magazine about a dyno tested 5.4 that made about 575 HP NA.

Actually, it was a wet sump GT 5.4 based 358 inch mill. The displacement increase was the key to the extra HP... It had fully ported GT heads, Cobra R lower, custom upper intake, and shortened crank counterweights to reduce windage.

What is "fully ported?"

People have made more hp without the 3.7" bore. That engine could have made a lot more hp with longer duration cams, a single plane intake and larger intake valves. The key to that engine was it's 12.5:1 compression which requires a little more than 93 octane. This engine ran the same cams that everyone thinks work so well in a 4.6, the Comp 106400s.

Modular Performance built a 358 that made over 600rwhp thru an automatic, it had GT heads, Sullivan intake and a Carb. It's being freshened up and a member here will be installing it in his car.

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member

Actually, it was a wet sump GT 5.4 based 358 inch mill. The displacement increase was the key to the extra HP. They re-sleeved the block for a larger bore.

It had fully ported GT heads, Cobra R lower, custom upper intake, and shortened crank counterweights to reduce windage.

I bet it was pretty mild seeing as Naz surely made more than that at the crank with a 4.6 based motor. Granted he had 50/50 race gas pump gas, but with off the shelf Livernois ported 03 heads and an FR500 intake.

Users who are viewing this thread