Re-Designing My 2V Valve Covers

KEVINS

Established Member
Spent a good hour testing the different sanding discs I bought and I think I have the procedure down. Here's how it looks after some time and it looks pretty good. I think by the end of the day Saturday I should have this one done and ready for the baffles and fittings. Then we can start on the passenger one.

ks

IMG_2632.JPG

FalkenXC

Spent a good hour testing the different sanding discs I bought and I think I have the procedure down. Here's how it looks after some time and it looks pretty good. I think by the end of the day Saturday I should have this one done and ready for the baffles and fittings. Then we can start on the passenger one.

ks

View attachment 84344
These look so good! Nice handiwork man, good luck with the baffles!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

KEVINS

Established Member
I bought SS cap screws and for the most part the top of the bolts will be flush, maybe a little lower, with the top of the sheet metal. This gives the top surface a smoother look.

ks

KEVINS

Established Member
I didn't get to work on the baffles today b/c final grinding/sanding the remaining welds took longer than I expected but here's how it looks with a 180 grit finish.

I'm going to fire up the CAD station and design the baffles this weekend then maybe get them cut and tacked into place later this week.
I also need to order the filler neck and locate that along with a baffle. It's getting real close to being done now.

ks
IMG_2636.JPG
IMG_2635.JPG

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I am still very impressed with your work. Still looking amazing.a bare look would look great as well as a color. I think the bare look shows off your work much more

KEVINS

Established Member
Man, those have a really clean look to them. Nice work!
Thank you, it's greatly appreciated!

I got the oil fill hole done and the hose fitting for the vent system done so all that this cover needs is to weld these two items on then a final sanding.. Maybe tomorrow it will be done and we can start on the passenger side cover in the next week or two. I'm chomping at the bit to get these done and powder coated but I have other priorities that get first attention.

ks

KEVINS

Established Member
Got one done today complete with bungs and internal baffles. Now gotta find time to get the other one done.

ks

IMG_2639.JPG
IMG_2640.JPG

FalkenXC

Any updates? Can't wait to see these painted and on your machine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

KEVINS

Established Member
Any updates? Can't wait to see these painted and on your machine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Nothing yet. Going to get the trans back in the car this weekend then once that's done I can get back to making the other v-cover. I'd like to get them off to powder coating by the end of April..

ks

KEVINS

Established Member
Got the passenger side tacked together before running out of gas and energy. Learning from our mistakes on the first cover this one came out really nice. Next step from here is to weld in the screw bosses on the bottom of the flange.

IMG_2673.JPG
IMG_2674.JPG
IMG_2676.JPG

KEVINS

Established Member
Any chance these may be available at some point?
Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Not a chance b/c nobody would want to pay what it would cost to build them.
Just the CNC flanges alone cost $800/pr in small qty's.

Even casting these in several pieces would require several molds and CNC work. I think they'd be kewl but 2V's are not what people are building these days.

ks

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
hey now, I am building a 2v. but wasted money on the moroso covers that don't fit trick flow heads. I do really like what you are building. I lack the talent and the time to build the cool stuff

KEVINS

Established Member
If I knew I could sell 50-100 sets within a few years enough to pay for the molds then I would look into it but selling 4 or 5 sets per year won't pay for the molds any time soon.

Maybe a Kick Starter program would drum up some interest to test the waters.

ks

traitor03

What about a way to mold your shape out of some sort of plastic like the stock covers? They'd still look killer and may be affordable. I don't have the knowledge or resources to help you with this, but I'm sure there has to be someone that has a connection with some sort of molding company

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

KEVINS

Established Member
What about a way to mold your shape out of some sort of plastic like the stock covers? They'd still look killer and may be affordable. I don't have the knowledge or resources to help you with this, but I'm sure there has to be someone that has a connection with some sort of molding company

My background is in mechanical design and I have all kinds of resources for injection molding and casting. The issue is the cost of the molds. Casting is the least expensive but the molds still cost $7k-15K each and there will be 4 molds. Then there are tooling plates needed then machine operations. Then baffles need welded in with bungs, etc.

The details that make these covers unique is that there are no bolt flanges like the stock covers and this feature makes it more expensive for MFR'ing.

Planning to work on the second cover this weekend.

ks

KEVINS

Established Member
Didn't get as much done as I'd hoped but every bit helps.

ks

Attachments

• IMG_2798.JPG
    IMG_2798.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2797.JPG
    IMG_2797.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 135

KEVINS

Established Member
Valve covers are pretty much DONE. I should be receiving them this week but here's a pic. Wayne Stewart did my powder coating and they look great and can't wait to get them on the car..whoohooo.

ks

Attachments

• v-covers.JPG
    v-covers.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 159

Users who are viewing this thread