Raw Food Diet for Dogs

whiplash306

Established Member
Your situation sounds much worse than mine. I notice him scratch and role around but not to that degree.

How expensive was the blood test for allergies? I'm going to have a test done for my dog so I can be certain. I wish I would have gone that route first instead of bothering with every brand of kibble.

It cost us $250. It's a bit costly, but if it isolates the allergen(s), then it'll be far worth it as our little guy is only 7 months old and therefore has many years left (hopefully).

I agree with you totally. I wish we would have done the allergy test right up front as well before putting him on all these ridiculous foods, steroids and Benadryl. It would have been nice if we had drawn the blood, sent it off, put him on a steroid regimen and taper just to get him through the acute phase, all while the results were pending and then addressed the issue specifically once the allergen was known. But, 'ya live and 'ya learn.

For now though, he's looking a LOT better - has no sores, has all of his hair and is not biting himself to death.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
we did the hypoallergenic diet, no people food, steroid pills, etc. with our dog...nothing worked and steroids just made her super hungry non-stop.

finally sent her blood work off...shes allergic to dust-mites, and several types of grasses. No food allergies.

So, we then went to weekly shots....expensive and only about 50% effective.

Then they just came out with this allergy pill very recently. Vet called us liked 3 months ago and said this new thing is out...lets try it.

One 25mg pill once every 2 days....voila, 95% effective. (she can still get her skin rash if you leave her in the backyard rolling around in the grass but it goes back away in 2-4 days)

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been feeding my dog Origen for several years now and his coat/skin has cleared up. No more allergies and the sheen on the coat is beautiful. He free eats now and he corrected his weight on his own. I rotate from the fish to meats from winter/summer for protein intake to account for activity during those time periods. I can tell you that because the food has no fillers, he gets and stays full/comfortable easier and passes stool once, maybe twice occasionally, per day and it's always a soft but not watery consistency. His food intake was reduced in half basically because of the quality of the food and he apparently likes it much better as well.

whiplash306

Established Member
we did the hypoallergenic diet, no people food, steroid pills, etc. with our dog...nothing worked and steroids just made her super hungry non-stop.

finally sent her blood work off...shes allergic to dust-mites, and several types of grasses. No food allergies.

So, we then went to weekly shots....expensive and only about 50% effective.

Then they just came out with this allergy pill very recently. Vet called us liked 3 months ago and said this new thing is out...lets try it.

One 25mg pill once every 2 days....voila, 95% effective. (she can still get her skin rash if you leave her in the backyard rolling around in the grass but it goes back away in 2-4 days)
Hey Fastback, please find out the EXACT name of that pill, so that I can at the very least mention it as a possibility to our Vet should we have the same unfortunate results with allergy shots that you've had.

BTW, have you noticed with that "allergy pill" any changes in your dog's activity level? - any lethargy, changes in appetite or thirst, etc?

Really appreciate your post!

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Hey Fastback, please find out the EXACT name of that pill, so that I can at the very least mention it as a possibility to our Vet should we have the same unfortunate results with allergy shots that you've had.

BTW, have you noticed with that "allergy pill" any changes in your dog's activity level? - any lethargy, changes in appetite or thirst, etc?

Its this stuff here, whiplash: Atopica for Dogs 25 mg Yellow 15 Capsules | VetDepot.com

Needs a prescription.

And, nothing has changed about our dog. Its hard to comment on lethargy as shes always lethargic lol. Climb on couch, climb under blanket, sleep 18 hours....thats her motto lol. No change in appetite, thirst, etc. shes the same on it as off it (though not itchy on it).

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member

x2 on this.

Our 7 month old French bulldog licks her feet quite often. We feed her Wellness Core, which we are happy with, but the licking would be nice to see go away.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Its this stuff here, whiplash: Atopica for Dogs 25 mg Yellow 15 Capsules | VetDepot.com

Needs a prescription.

And, nothing has changed about our dog. Its hard to comment on lethargy as shes always lethargic lol. Climb on couch, climb under blanket, sleep 18 hours....thats her motto lol. No change in appetite, thirst, etc. shes the same on it as off it (though not itchy on it).

We had Shelby on that stuff. Stopped the itchiness. But after some research- I found long term use causes heart and stomach issues and took her off of it.

Oh- and here is Shelby
edebe3er.jpg

sallen85

Established Member
x2 on this.

Our 7 month old French bulldog licks her feet quite often. We feed her Wellness Core, which we are happy with, but the licking would be nice to see go away.

Do you have fertilizer in your yard or walking through gas or other chemicals

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

MJN

Established Member
I like alot of you have been from Acana (sp?) to vet only hydrozized foods and only food have found to work for my Boston Terrier is a bision and sweet potato food. Now this helped his bad stomach and loose stools but never his hair loss and such.

For his skin been to a dermotologist and did not help. Did the blood testing and came back negitive, they wanted to do skin testing next but like one had mentioned we decided to try the Dynovite. So far he has not even up to full dose yet, only been on it for 12 days as of today and let me tell you guys, we allready see a difference. Maybe I am wishing but will see in due time but so far looking good on this stuff.

To date for his allergies he is on hydroxyzine, we so far been staying clear of the steroid types. Even on the Hydorx though he still loosing hair and has itching. Really hoping that this Dynovite comes through.

Last edited:

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
I've been feeding my dogs raw food for years. They're over 7 yrs of age and are healthy as an be. I would recommend finding ground meat just because its easier to mix in the vegetables in. But don't forget to give them bones at least 3 times a week (beef bones will do, anything with a lot if marrow in it). The hardest part for me was finding the right amount if food to give them per meal. And spoil them every once in a while: duck, lamb, buffalo. Oh and supervise their first bone meals, we don't want them chocking.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
We had Shelby on that stuff. Stopped the itchiness. But after some research- I found long term use causes heart and stomach issues and took her off of it.

its just a ciclosporin which is actually relatively safe: Ciclosporin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

really the only side affect in animals is the first couple of times taking it they get a slightly upset stomach...i think our dog vomited twice when first starting.

shes much happier not scratching and biting her feet, tail and stomach every other second.

allister

Established Member
I looked into it initially with our dog. The main reason I chose not to do it was because of cost and time. I have a hard enough time as it is taking meat from the freezer, putting it in the fridge letting it thaw then cooking it in time for a meal for us to eat, let alone doing that for a dog that plus washing the dogs food dish after his every meal. That's not even counting grocery shopping. I hate it, and it's too easy to pick up a bag of dog food and call it a day! Especially since our dog doesn't have any health issues or reasons for switching.

I did a LOT of research, to find the best rated dry dog food for the dollar. I ended up choosing 4Health, which can only be found at Tractor Supply. It pretty much rates the same as Blue Buffalo, Merrick, Wellness and other top brands, but definitely a lot cheaper. $32 for a 30 lb. bag. Doesn't have any fillers or by-products. It might even end up being cheaper to feed our dog that compared to Walmart dog food brands because he doesn't need to eat as much of it. I just feed our dog the Large Puppy Formula, and occasionally when I do cook some sort of protein for us I'll cook some for the dog too and replace some of his kibble with that, just to switch it up a little.

Definitely try Blue Buffalo Freedom if you haven't for allergies. I've heard lots of people with allergy problems switch to that it solved their problems. Worth a try at least. Good luck!

MJN

Established Member
its just a ciclosporin which is actually relatively safe: Ciclosporin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

really the only side affect in animals is the first couple of times taking it they get a slightly upset stomach...i think our dog vomited twice when first starting.

shes much happier not scratching and biting her feet, tail and stomach every other second.

I looked into that also, that was my next step but did not really care for the side affects and such as lowered immune system. Why we went with the Dinovite first. Good to hear working for you though.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Do you have fertilizer in your yard or walking through gas or other chemicals

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

She does not walk through gas or chemicals. Fertilizer, on the other hand, I cannot be certain of. We live in a gated apartment community so the landscaping is out of our hands. However, after over a year here I've never seen fertilizer put down.

I really think she has allergies from grass.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I looked into that also, that was my next step but did not really care for the side affects and such as lowered immune system. Why we went with the Dinovite first. Good to hear working for you though.

Ya if our dog was outside or around a ton of other dogs, that might be a alight concern. She's a couch potato though haha.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
Since we started feeding our Setter basically everything we eat her skin has been perfect. I also have her on a Natures Domain( Costco) food, its salmon and sweet potatoe. She has about a cup of kibble a day supplemented with our cooked meals. I also feed her raw moose meat and bones as well as salt and freshwater ducks etc. I basically pluck and gut the duck and toss it out in the yard and I usually find the beaks and feet left. Bones are fine as long as they are not cooked, when cooked they splinter and thats what causes problems.

Thursday

Tu ne cede malis
Established Member
I've been feeding my dogs raw food for years. They're over 7 yrs of age and are healthy as an be. I would recommend finding ground meat just because its easier to mix in the vegetables in. But don't forget to give them bones at least 3 times a week (beef bones will do, anything with a lot if marrow in it). The hardest part for me was finding the right amount if food to give them per meal. And spoil them every once in a while: duck, lamb, buffalo. Oh and supervise their first bone meals, we don't want them chocking.

Where do you shop for the meat? Do you mix in tripe and organs?

Users who are viewing this thread