Raw Food Diet for Dogs

Thursday

Tu ne cede malis
Established Member
Anyone here feed their dog a raw diet? I'm kicking around the idea of starting my dog on one. Any tips or pointers? I've tried nearly every top-rated grain-free, holistic kibble on the market and I'm not impressed.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I did the Stella and chewie raw diet for a few months as my dog has a skin allergy.

Didn't seem to work and was $$$$$.

I feed her mixed veggies, bison meat(cooked) and brown rice for over a year now.

Extremely healthy, and no more itching!

dwish

Established Member
I've never met a veterinarian who recommends a raw food diet. If allergies are of concern, seek a prescription hypo-allergenic diet from a veterinarian. Even the expensive stuff at pet food places can be crap.

randoo

Established Member
I did the Stella and chewie raw diet for a few months as my dog has a skin allergy.

Didn't seem to work and was $$$$$.

I feed her mixed veggies, bison meat(cooked) and brown rice for over a year now.

Extremely healthy, and no more itching!

Did your vet recommend this recipe? My dog has a food allergy I've been dealing with for years.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Did your vet recommend this recipe? My dog has a food allergy I've been dealing with for years.

We tried everything. When she got an upset stomach the vet reccomended hamburger and rice. She stopped itching! Told the vet- she said as long as you can mix in veggies we're good.

She put on a little weight and the vet reccomended bison, as its leaner. Same result. Happy, healthy, normal dog :)

So we found it by chance.

randoo

Established Member
We tried everything. When she got an upset stomach the vet reccomended hamburger and rice. She stopped itching! Told the vet- she said as long as you can mix in veggies we're good.

She put on a little weight and the vet reccomended bison, as its leaner. Same result. Happy, healthy, normal dog :)

So we found it by chance.

Might give it a shot..Thanks

sallen85

Established Member
My dogs have been on a raw diet for over 10yrs with great results. Most of the time they get raw hamburger, a vegie, and cooked yams. We switch it up every now and then with some salmon or turkey and some yorgurt. They also really like apples, bananas, strawberries and blue berries.
Something to keep in mind grapes, onions, and chocolate are very bad if not deadly to dogs.

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
Anyone here feed their dog a raw diet? I'm kicking around the idea of starting my dog on one. Any tips or pointers? I've tried nearly every top-rated grain-free, holistic kibble on the market and I'm not impressed.

My cocker spaniel pup Callie gets Blue Buffalo Wildernesss. She's very healthy, trim and growing perfect. I have no complaints. She has a very healthy stool, not hard and difficult for her to eliminate, but it's not watery either. and she has an abundance of energy.

she's allowed to free eat from 7 am - 11 pm, her water is cutoff at 7 pm, because she still refuses to tell me she needs to go out to potty....she just depends on me to take her out every so often, and if I forget or go over, she will just go pee in the kitchen or the bathroom. :nonono:

whiplash306

Established Member
Subscribing to this thread in hopes of more ideas for dogs with food and/or environmental allergies. My 7 month old blue Pit would literally bite on his own legs, tail, etc and scratch incessantly to the point that he was losing hair and was developing sores everywhere. We put him on steroids and Prescription Diet ZD ($85 p/bag - lasts < 3 weeks). We've tapered the steroids (Prednisone) and now have him on 3 Benadryl tabs 3 times a day. His itching has slowed and his sores healed. However, just to be absolutely certain, we took him in earlier today to have blood drawn and tested for every kind of allergen imaginable. We're actually hoping that it's an environmental allergen that we can treat with allergy shots (~$100 for an entire year's worth of shots) because the food we're feeding him now is RIDICULOUSLY expensive and he doesn't seem to care much for it.

On a somewhat related, but side note - have any of you ever heard of Dinovite? I've heard nothing but good things about this stuff related to exactly what we and some of you all seem to be dealing with our pups:

DINOVITE - Dog Supplements, Dog Nutrition, Vitamins for Dogs - Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed!
Specifics of what it works on and how: Dinovite Information

Good thread OP and thanks to everyone for the input thus far!

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i used taste of the wild, results were always great with my danes, i recenlty switched to Authority and its pretty good. lil bit cheaper because i'm on a single income w/ my house, bills etc but his coat is still shiny, poop seems to be fine as well. Raw seems very expensive from what i've seen. if budget isn't an issue i;d say do it i'd be glad to seee your results. then again what kind of dog do you have? a yorkie raw diet compared to a great dane is obviously a huge money gap

Thursday

Tu ne cede malis
Established Member
Subscribing to this thread in hopes of more ideas for dogs with food and/or environmental allergies. My 7 month old blue Pit would literally bite on his own legs, tail, etc and scratch incessantly to the point that he was losing hair and was developing sores everywhere. We put him on steroids and Prescription Diet ZD ($85 p/bag - lasts < 3 weeks). We've tapered the steroids (Prednisone) and now have him on 3 Benadryl tabs 3 times a day. His itching has slowed and his sores healed. However, just to be absolutely certain, we took him in earlier today to have blood drawn and tested for every kind of allergen imaginable. We're actually hoping that it's an environmental allergen that we can treat with allergy shots (~$100 for an entire year's worth of shots) because the food we're feeding him now is RIDICULOUSLY expensive and he doesn't seem to care much for it.

On a somewhat related, but side note - have any of you ever heard of Dinovite? I've heard nothing but good things about this stuff related to exactly what we and some of you all seem to be dealing with our pups:

DINOVITE - Dog Supplements, Dog Nutrition, Vitamins for Dogs - Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed!
Specifics of what it works on and how: Dinovite Information

Good thread OP and thanks to everyone for the input thus far!

Your situation sounds much worse than mine. I notice him scratch and role around but not to that degree.

How expensive was the blood test for allergies? I'm going to have a test done for my dog so I can be certain. I wish I would have gone that route first instead of bothering with every brand of kibble.

Looks like a step up from kibble. I'll look in to it more.

i used taste of the wild, results were always great with my danes, i recenlty switched to Authority and its pretty good. lil bit cheaper because i'm on a single income w/ my house, bills etc but his coat is still shiny, poop seems to be fine as well. Raw seems very expensive from what i've seen. if budget isn't an issue i;d say do it i'd be glad to seee your results. then again what kind of dog do you have? a yorkie raw diet compared to a great dane is obviously a huge money gap

75lb Golden Retriever

As you know the holistic kibble isn't cheap, and just based on looking at meats in the deli yesterday I think I can match if not beat what I pay for kibble. Not to mention if a raw diet is in fact a healthier diet I will also save on future vet bills.

I've tried Taste of The Wild, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Wellness Core, EVO, etc... The other problem with kibble is the brands are bought and sold which can include changes to ingredients that go unannounced and unnoticed. Many of the brands that earned their reputation aren't what they used to be.

I usually crack an egg on top of my dogs kibble once a week and he loves it. I'm going to start slowly introducing him to some quartered pieces of meat, and see how it goes.

hb712

Established Member
My vet does not like the modern raw diet at all. In the wild, the dog would eat most of the animal (i.e., bones, fur/feathers, guts etc...). Unless you're feeding them whole chickens or whole rabbits, it's a lot more difficult to get them everything they need. Beyond that, there has been an incredible amount of research done on manufactured dog foods. For the most part, dogs live longer and healthier on the manufactured dog foods than they do on the raw diet.

If you really want to go the raw diet route, please do plenty of research. It is not near as simple as getting bulk cuts of meat and throwing them to your dog. They need the meat, uncooked bones, tripe, etc....

I also have two dogs with really bad food allergies. I have switched to Purina Pro Plan Salmon, and it basically knocks out their allergies. A lot of the times the dogs are allergic to the grains in dog food, but they can also have issues with lamb or beef.

Last edited:

Thursday

Tu ne cede malis
Established Member
My vet does not like the modern raw diet at all. In the wild, the dog would eat most of the animal (i.e., bones, fur/feathers, guts etc...). Unless you're feeding them whole chickens or whole rabbits, it's a lot more difficult to get them everything they need. Beyond that, there has been an incredible amount of research done on manufactured dog foods. For the most part, dogs live longer and healthier on the manufactured dog foods than they do on the raw diet.

If you really want to go the raw diet route, please do plenty of research. It is not near as simple as getting bulk cuts of meat and throwing them to your dog. They need the meat, uncooked bones, tripe, etc....

I also have two dogs with really bad food allergies. I have switched to Purina Pro Plan Salmon, and it basically knocks out their allergies. A lot of the times the dogs are allergic to the grains in dog food, but they can also have issues with lamb or beef.

Yes I've been reading about it and understand it's not as simple as a few cuts of meat. I've tried two different fish based kibble, and I never feed grain.

Users who are viewing this thread