Raspy, whats the cause?

tealsnake93

Bond Company Stooge
Established Member
So I've had my exhaust set up for about 20K miles and it has slowly started to sound like crap. A real raspiness has developed while running through certian rpm ranges. I have Kooks long tubes, catted H, and a Magnaflow cat-back.

So what is the most likely culprit? Cats? Mufflers?

It still sounds down right pissed off at WOT. Not so much in the mid range.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
Not too sure, a friend of mine has long tubes / offroad x pipe / magnaflow cb and it sounds raspy. On the other hand, another one of my buddy's has the stock exhaust manifolds / offroad x pipe / magnaflow cb and it is not raspy at all. It sounds badass as well as pissed off to redline. My guess would be the long tubes. :shrug:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Lose the Maggies. They have a higher note/tone with LT's that I'm not fond of.

Borla Stingers, Mac, Flowmaster Super40/44 or possibly Bassani catbacks would be nice alternatives.

Going to a Prochamber and Borlas would surely fix the rasp ;-)

Biggieman

03-04 parts for sale
Established Member
i would guess the straight through mufflers - if thats what the maggies are
a chambered muffler (flows, MAC etc) would probably not sound as raspy

GHIG RTR

Banned
bassani will be real raspy, cause that's what I got and hate them. I'm just waiting to get a day off so I can get my super 40's welded in.

tealsnake93

Bond Company Stooge
Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
Not too sure, a friend of mine has long tubes / offroad x pipe / magnaflow cb and it sounds raspy. On the other hand, another one of my buddy's has the stock exhaust manifolds / offroad x pipe / magnaflow cb and it is not raspy at all. It sounds badass as well as pissed off to redline. My guess would be the long tubes. :shrug:

Thanks for that diagnosis, I hope it's not my londtubes. I guess I'll replace my muflers, and later my cats, and cross my fingers.:shrug:

Biggieman said:
i would guess the straight through mufflers - if thats what the maggies are
a chambered muffler (flows, MAC etc) would probably not sound as raspy

Yeah, it almost sounds like a leak that comes and goes. Whats perplexing is that it sounded great for a few months, then slowly a horrible note started emerging, now it's overwelming. I absolutely love the sound that I have though, all my chevy friends say "it doesn't even sound like a mustang".

Well I'm almost positive the mufflers have a lifetime warranty, maybe Magnaflow will replace them. Or maybe I'll take my business to another manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread