Rarity vs Exclusivity of Cars

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
So I just made another thread about the new Countach. Found out they are only making 112 examples.

I'll be honest, the forced exclusivity of cars / bikes, really pisses me off.

It's not about being a "Poor" but more about the entire concept. I see "Rare" cars as ones that are available in limited numbers, but this is simply because of consumer choices. Nissan R35 GTR for example has become a rare car in later years because consumers simply chose not to buy them - sales cratered after 2017. (2008 was 1,700 by 2019 just 331)

However, when brands like Ford, Lamborghini, Ferrari and even Dodge (Demon) start to play exclusivity games, it honestly generates a hard eye roll from me. The whole Ford GT roll out and picking and choosing who can order one, it's a total brand turn off.

blk02edge

Established Member
so you think everything should be available to everyone...? Some of the cars mentioned, they likely don't have the resources to mass produce. They make plenty of options for us poors. I still enjoy the existence of some of these cars, which in reality I wouldn't even want to own because they're usually useless anyway.

sorry, hard disagree on this one.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I kind of get what you're trying to say but would you have bought a Ford GT if they made a few more? Bottom line, buy what you like and you'll have 0 regrets

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I kind of get what you're trying to say but would you have bought a Ford GT if they made a few more? Bottom line, buy what you like and you'll have 0 regrets
I would be buying an 05/06 if they had made more.

How many do you think they would have needed to make for a lower mileage (30,00-40,000) one to be in the $70,000 range?

Pisses me off. I make good money, wife makes good money, and we are very responsible, but theres no way I can justify spending 150-200K more for a car than I spent on our house.

Edit: this assumes 05/06 cars are still 450-500,000

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
So I just made another thread about the new Countach. Found out they are only making 112 examples.

It's not about being a "Poor" but more about the entire concept. I see "Rare" cars as ones that are available in limited numbers, but this is simply because of consumer choices. Nissan R35 GTR for example has become a rare car in later years because consumers simply chose not to buy them - sales cratered after 2017. (2008 was 1,700 by 2019 just 331)

However, when brands like Ford, Lamborghini, Ferrari and even Dodge (Demon) start to play exclusivity games, it honestly generates a hard eye roll from me. The whole Ford GT roll out and picking and choosing who can order one, it's a total brand turn off.

I don't think you're taking into consideration the economic and business decisions that go into building a specialty car. No manufacturer wants another GTO on their hands. They'd rather sell out of a handful of cars than have unsold units sitting around.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I was going to buy one of the new countachs until I learned that Lamborghini was playing the whole "exclusive" game. Hard pass now.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with op on this one, and I know where he is going with his post. The racial disparity in exclusive car ownership angers me as well. Let’s take our hero car as an example; our representative government should have enacted laws that for every 3 multi-hundred thousand dollar exotics produced, 1 must be given to inner-city minorities and paid for via government subsidizing and taxing wealthy Americans who make 50k or more per-year at an actual job.

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

So if they made 140,000 & priced them @ 25 K, would you still want one ??

5.0 Hatch

Established Member

How many do you think they would have needed to make for a lower mileage (30,00-40,000) one to be in the $70,000 range?

Pisses me off. I make good money, wife makes good money, and we are very responsible, but theres no way I can justify spending 150-200K more for a car than I spent on our house.

Many times the manufacturers build halo cars at a loss once everything is factored in.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ferrari has had many decades to refine their business model to be profitable through all the ups and downs. They learned some hard lessons along the way.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
As many have learned, owning a halo car isn't cheap and isn't for the poors. If it's too much money for you to buy (preferably in cash) then it is absolutely too much for you to insure and maintain. Same thing is true for airplanes, beach/vacation/lake homes, and other rich people problems.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
As many have learned, owning a halo car isn't cheap and isn't for the poors. If it's too much money for you to buy (preferably in cash) then it is absolutely too much for you to insure and maintain. Same thing is true for airplanes, beach/vacation/lake homes, and other rich people problems.

Oh heck yeah, many maintenance items run by time, not usage and run tens of thousands per year.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
The allure of exotic cars has much to do with the unattainability for the common person, and the infrequency of seeing one. It’s similar to seeing a 60’s muscle car, or even a fox body for that matter. There are not very many out and about so it’s an “experience” when you do see one pass by, or parked in a shopping area. The difference between the exotic and the examples I noted are that most people never had prior experiences with an exotic, unlike a fox body. Each creates different emotions, for different reasons.
In my opinion Porsche has come closest to bridging the gap between exotic and attainable with the 911.
But I honestly don’t want mass produced Ferraris, Lambos, etc… because it will take away the kid inside feeling when I see one. I prefer to not meet my hero.

Last edited:

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

I remember in 2007 or 2008 I was at McCafferty Ford and they had a new FGT on the showroom discounted $20k off MSRP.

Oh heck yeah, many maintenance items run by time, not usage and run tens of thousands per year.

True. Ferrari's up until the F430 required timing belt changes every 2 years that were often engine out services. My Turbo S requires plugs every 4 years ($3200) 6 & 10 year PDK service. Carbon ceramic brakes can last 100k miles and the rotors are $8k a piece. Pop the motor in a GT3 or Turbo and it's $80k plus labor. Murcielago clutch is $20k plus all the "why you're in there" costs.

It's not whether you can afford to buy the car, it's can you afford to own it.

Chasing exclusivity is for people that need others approval. Buy what turns you on for what you can afford. A 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302 is a rare car and still gives me a chubby, as does a C6 GS, Z06, or ZR1.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Many times the manufacturers build halo cars at a loss once everything is factored in.

I’m certain that’s true for many vehicles. I’d be surprised however if it held true for the GT.

Nothing was particularly exotic about the motor, transmission, interior, wheels, and brakes.

I don’t know enough about the chassis and suspension.

Regardless, I just like to bitch and complain every time this discussion comes up because it’s the example that burns me up inside.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I remember in 2007 or 2008 I was at McCafferty Ford and they had a new FGT on the showroom discounted $20k off MSRP.

That’s wild. At this point in my life I could save a few years and swing a 130-140 car, not so much when I was 20.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member

True. That RS5 I owned needed brakes every 25k miles for $4K per axle. Just to put it in "maintenance mode" (essentially pulling/sliding the front clip out and hooking up the computer) was $900 to get started on replacing any parts on the motor. The mechatronics for the DCT was $7K and a 6 month wait. The rear drive unit was $5K.

I loved that car, but not that much. Only 1500 imported and 1 of 11 in the color combo. It was like dating a supermodel, who is beautiful and a great ride but she needs fancy stuff all the time to look and run like she does, constantly threatening to drain my bank accounts.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member

True. Ferrari's up until the F430 required timing belt changes every 2 years that were often engine out services. My Turbo S requires plugs every 4 years ($3200) 6 & 10 year PDK service. Carbon ceramic brakes can last 100k miles and the rotors are $8k a piece. Pop the motor in a GT3 or Turbo and it's $80k plus labor. Murcielago clutch is $20k plus all the "why you're in there" costs.

Chasing exclusivity is for people that need others approval. Buy what turns you on for what you can afford. A 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302 is a rare car and still gives me a chubby, as does a C6 GS, Z06, or ZR1.
Exactly, spot on.

A friend of mine has a 2018 NFGT, and even doing the oil & filter change himself it’s still a $400 job for materials, and a couple of hours on his lift removing all the underbelly trays.

Users who are viewing this thread