Rare sighting - 1968 1/2 428 Cobra Jet Coupe at the Drag Strip

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I have a 68 1/2 428 story. 1999 I was in heavy on the older Mustangs and was buying them up and parting them out. I called on a ad about some parts for sale in Herndon va. I met the guy at a storage unit. The parts were among a bunch of parts jammed in a storage bay stacked from floor to ceiling with mustang parts. Everything was stacked in around and on top of a original paint white 68 1/2. I asked if it was for sale and the guy said nope that's my retirement fund. I tried but said he was lucky to have one. He said he actually had another on his dad's hunting property near were I lived at the time in Front Royal va. He told me were it was and to check it out. Sure enough sitting in the woods near a train track was a 68 1/2 428 r code no engine or rear but still solid with the reinforced shock towers. I copied down the vin. I called him and told him if he ever wanted to sale to call me. 4 years later a week before Christmas he called and said if I come get the car that weekend he'd sale it for $1000. I just couldn't make it work at that weekend. That's how close I came.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Cool story. The one that got away!

@SVTSR, thanks for posting that video. I remember back in the early years of the Mustang how revered the 289-4 barrel was. That '68 428 CJ coupe is really special.

SVTSR

Established Member
I have a 68 1/2 428 story. 1999 I was in heavy on the older Mustangs and was buying them up and parting them out. I called on a ad about some parts for sale in Herndon va. I met the guy at a storage unit. The parts were among a bunch of parts jammed in a storage bay stacked from floor to ceiling with mustang parts. Everything was stacked in around and on top of a original paint white 68 1/2. I asked if it was for sale and the guy said nope that's my retirement fund. I tried but said he was lucky to have one. He said he actually had another on his dad's hunting property near were I lived at the time in Front Royal va. He told me were it was and to check it out. Sure enough sitting in the woods near a train track was a 68 1/2 428 r code no engine or rear but still solid with the reinforced shock towers. I copied down the vin. I called him and told him if he ever wanted to sale to call me. 4 years later a week before Christmas he called and said if I come get the car that weekend he'd sale it for $1000. I just couldn't make it work at that weekend. That's how close I came.
Great story and sorry it didn't work out. It's sad how many legit muscle cars were ruined by people who swore they would get around to restoring them but instead stored them outside or in humid conditions turning them into rust buckets.

SVTSR

Established Member
Cool story. The one that got away!

@SVTSR, thanks for posting that video. I remember back in the early years of the Mustang how revered the 289-4 barrel was. That '68 428 CJ coupe is really special.
You're welcome. I agree, that Cobra Jet Coupe is pretty special.

Users who are viewing this thread