RAPTOR...slowly dying....!????

stvdman

Established Member
In the latest "Four Wheeler" magazine it was reported that the BOSS engine slated for the RAPTOR is dead and the whole project itslef is in jeopardy of being dropped.

Not much more info than that.

:shrug:

CGoeschel

Established Member
the project is alive and well.......not sure they were planning to call the motor BOSS anyways though.

281CJ

Established Member
Its still the BOSS motor, or Ford Racing will have to do a LOT of re-advertising.

I believe they are referring to the 6.2L that is rumored to be put on the shelf and the 5.0 that is supposed to be replacing it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
From what I've heard parts are already beginning production for it, so I doubt it will be shelved this late in the game.

FBMphil

Established Member
From what I've heard parts are already beginning production for it, so I doubt it will be shelved this late in the game.

Rumblings from a certain someone who no longer posts here say we're gonna see it ;-):burnout:

Unoid

Established Member
new engine tech has to be many millions. The loss of wasted R&D will prolly be higher than any loss of sales from BOSS engine based autos.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
To my knowledge the BOSS engine isn't what was in the Raptor to begin with.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
you guys really think this truck will be a reality!? They are barely producing regular f-150s anymore. :lol:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
do you have any idea what your talking about?

ford needs to clear 08 inventory before the brand new 09 show up! :poke:

production is waaayy down across the board on ford pickups. When the 09 is released it WILL NOT have the sales figures as the previous models. :read: That being said, the less sales volume there is the less chance there will be specialty models which will require unique tooling/parts/processes. :read:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
the less sales volume there is the less chance there will be specialty models which will require unique tooling/parts/processes. :read:

Maybe but when the truck is already done and 90% of the way through it's testing they aren't going to axe it. If they don't premier it at SEMA and announce that they are indeed going to sell it, I will eat my words:beer:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
This will probably be a very short production run. With the way things are going in this country, I can't think of a worse time than now to be launching a gas guzzling, off road truck. At first they'll probably sell ok, but drop off REAL fast. In a year, it'll be like a Hummer, nobody will want one. Hell, 99% of the people that buy one will probably never see a dirt road.

Talk about bad timing.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
production is waaayy down across the board on ford pickups. When the 09 is released it WILL NOT have the sales figures as the previous models. :read: That being said, the less sales volume there is the less chance there will be specialty models which will require unique tooling/parts/processes. :read:

the f150 will still outsell every other truck on the road! true sales will look more like they did in the 80's when the workers/contractors were the only ones that purchased them. the truck is not going away, and ford will still make a ton of money on both their f series lines!

i do believe their is a 10k unit market for this truck. hell i see it every weekend when 100's of voyagers head out of town to the dunes. they are mostly driving their lifted 50k crew cabs and towing the 100k sand rails and other toys. the money is out there for a limited run of a specialized high speed off road vehicle! no they will not sell 100k of these trucks in a 5 year run but thats not in the business plan either!

ibismojo

Established Member
This will probably be a very short production run. With the way things are going in this country, I can't think of a worse time than now to be launching a gas guzzling, off road truck. At first they'll probably sell ok, but drop off REAL fast. In a year, it'll be like a Hummer, nobody will want one. Hell, 99% of the people that buy one will probably never see a dirt road.

Talk about bad timing.

I'm betting the Hummer audience won't overlap entirely with the Raptor, if at all. You wouldn't understand because you're from Michigan (not to be taken offensively, you couldn't know cause there's no desert in Michigan).

The popularity and recognition of the Raptor will probably be more evident in southern California, Nevada, Arizona and Crandon, Wisconson then the rest of the US.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Don't forget new england.
Wheeling around here is scarce, but really the nastiest...
we have it wall, water, rocks, sand mud, trees, mountains, cliffs, you name it!

Users who are viewing this thread