Raptor shopping...

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Dude I have had 16ft 2x4’s in the bed of my Raptor. Granted it was sketchy as ****, but I made it home...

Definitely some house projects Ive put off because I didnt have a truck. Im still gonna have the trex decking shipped though lol.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
*Pics added*

Mine!!! 2019 Ford Performance Blue Crew Cab Raptor, forged bead locks, tech package, CF interior, spray in bedliner/tonneau, panoramic roof, tail gate step, heated rear seats. Shorty antenna is inbound tonight (Im a whore for Amazon Prime) and am already eyeballing some LED fogs, a FORSCAN license, husky rear wheel well liners and some kind of mudflaps. Thinking Rally Armor, had them on my Forester and I liked them. Im also looking for suggestions on where to mount my phone.

Drives great but it sounds like Im blasting farts when I stomp on the gas LOL. I hope its just the piped in engine sounds. All in all I am happy with the purchase but I didnt even make it off the lot before I found my first TSB, the glove box door is warped and has to be replaced. Should be done by next weekend. Hope to get it in the garage tomorrow for a wash/wax and eventually Fluid Film the frame and suspension bits.

Last edited:

MaximumSVT

Embrace your fears
Established Member
Premium Member
Great looking truck. Love the color. Picked up a new superduty last summer and there was a blue Raptor parked right next to it. Wish I could have taken both home.

Been reading about the Forscan tool. Any concers about the factory warranty with using it?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Absolutely Im concerned lol, I dont think an extended warranty will pay off on the powertrain but probably on some electronic whizzbang. From what I have read you can always go back and forth between stock and tweeked with no traceable evidence. I still need to drive for a while and see if I like the layout before looking at the Forscan list of what I could change. I dont want to be too tempted before I really get an idea of what the truck is like stock.

MaximumSVT

Embrace your fears
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I'm concerned about the electronics too. I'm afraid to know the out of warranty costs for adaptive cruise/steering, blis, etc.

colin450

Established Member
I may be biasedView attachment 1619292

CPO vs New...same story as always, you’re going to take a bigger hit on buying new. Although we are out of the ADM and into discount phase of the Gen2.

Long story short I might have to sell mine soon. However, I am contemplating selling some organs and a few other nefarious professions to keep it.

Watch out for the cam phaser issue...

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Damn...after doing a little reading when I saw your comment, pretty sure my truck has the cam phaser issue. Has an awful rattle on cold start and just sounds weird in general when it's idling. Dealer I bought it from said no CEL so "it's fine". I like the truck, but the issues I've had with it are starting to be too much, looking to get out of it.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I've had a 12 Raptor, and now an 18 Raptor. My experiences have been mixed. The 12 was rock solid reliable, the 18 has been a steaming pile of poo.

2018 Raptor Issues:

First - timing belt tensioner. It was gone nearly a month while this issue was resolved. Happened around 14,000 miles or so.

Second - charging system fault. Cable from the alternator to the fuse box worked itself loose on a trip from Texas to Arkansas. Bad timing.

Third - wrench icon when driving down the highway. Went into limp mode. Replaced throttle body, air speed sensor and turbo boost sensor. Happened around 22,000 miles.

Fourth - APIM went bad. Touchscreen stopped working, blue tooth stopped working, steering wheel radio controls stopped working. Took about 3 days to fix. Happened around 26,000 miles.

Fifth - Check engine light. Crankcase pressure sensor had to be replaced. Happened at 34,500 miles.

My dealer is offering me invoice on a 2020 allocation but I'm not sure. The new Jeep Gladiator has caught my eye.

Hope you have better luck than I've had!

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Damn...after doing a little reading when I saw your comment, pretty sure my truck has the cam phaser issue. Has an awful rattle on cold start and just sounds weird in general when it's idling. Dealer I bought it from said no CEL so "it's fine". I like the truck, but the issues I've had with it are starting to be too much, looking to get out of it.

Does the noise go away after it is warmed up? That is what my idle tensioner issue was. No CEL but sounds like a blender full of ice cubes starting up. My dealer heard it for 10 seconds and immediately knew. Apparently there's a bunch of 3.5L across all models with this issue, including Lincolns.

colin450

Established Member
Does the noise go away after it is warmed up? That is what my idle tensioner issue was. No CEL but sounds like a blender full of ice cubes starting up. My dealer heard it for 10 seconds and immediately knew. Apparently there's a bunch of 3.5L across all models with this issue, including Lincolns.

Yeah, I get the blender full of ice cubes sound when it first fires up but then it goes away. Sounds like mine is going down the same path as yours. Just the other day the Bluetooth failed and touchscreen wouldn't work, but came back the next time I drove it. I'm at 16k miles right now.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Yeah, I get the blender full of ice cubes sound when it first fires up but then it goes away. Sounds like mine is going down the same path as yours. Just the other day the Bluetooth failed and touchscreen wouldn't work, but came back the next time I drove it. I'm at 16k miles right now.

My APIM issue was intermittent, would come and go like you said. Then one day, dead as can be, never to come back. Be glad you are still under warranty :)

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Thankfully I heard no odd noises at startup, had them wait for me to arrive to do a full on cold start. I made sure the block was ice cold before my test drive. That was my biggest concern going into this, as long as everything sounded good and no tick/knock I knew I was gonna buy.

Im always OCD about maintenance and plan on using stock oil filters and receipts for everything I do on this truck. I know the number of problems posted on forums are a very small percentage against the actual number of trucks on the road but Its not looking too good for a FORSCAN lol. I plan on (like I always do) keeping this truck forever unless it starts giving me issues, if it does then I will move on in a few years.

I still regret selling my 5 speed 02 V6 Altima, 11 years and 125,000 trouble free modified miles. Hoping to do better with the Raptor, so far so good. And for the record, this thing is a BLAST to drive!!!

coposrv

Established Member
Damn sounds like some of you guys with newer raptors have issues? OP hope yours is rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
On looks alone, not talking performance here, the Gen 1 Raptors are U_G_L_Y!!!!
They can't hold a candle to the 2nd Gen Raptors in the "looks' department.

Bad V2

Established Member
On looks alone, not talking performance here, the Gen 1 Raptors are U_G_L_Y!!!!
They can't hold a candle to the 2nd Gen Raptors in the "looks' department.

f769e354ec2b16dfa28f99baa58353b5.jpg

I agree they definitely look better. Good luck with your purchase! Don’t worry about shit, just run it and enjoy it. Great truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1621594
I agree they definitely look better. Good luck with your purchase! Don’t worry about shit, just run it and enjoy it. Great truck.
Beautiful!!!
Not buying for a while. Between that and the Jeep SRT. Love the SCAB. I would get a SCAB.

You’ve lost your mind.
Blows the Gen 1 away in the looks department bro.
Not even a comparison.

Awesome truck. I would go SCAB as well.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Those are both Velocity blue right, have yet to see a Raptor in that color. Mostly black and magnetic around here. My 6-pack BD foglights and brackets (and my SVT jacket) arrived today, hope to get them wired up by Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread