raptor shift light

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I have an intermittent issue I thought you guys could help with. I emailed their support, but I figured I might get a quicker answer here. The shift light is a great product.

I seem to have an issue that during normal driving the light comes on and does the start sequence (same lighting combo as when you start the car). It is very intermittent. I rechecked the hot and gnd connections. I am going to recheck the signal connection tomorrow. Any ideas?

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
yes it lights up at the correct rpms. that is why i tihnk everything is solid.....I am out of ideas.

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I have talked to Rick through email from raptor and he says the only way it would redo the start sequence is if it is losing power. For soem reason the red wire on the plug near the ecu, see attached link, dos not hold steady power, or it is being surged by soemthing. Does anyone know of other power sources right near the ecu? i know MSD says to tap into 12v going directly into the ecu.

http://www.raptorperformance.com/Ford/Mustang/12 volt source.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's where I have mine connected with no problems. Beau is having the same problem. After getting a second opinion he figured the light itself is bad.

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Yeah. I am going to splice out the hot and gnd wires closer to the light and run them to the fuse box to see if perhaps my cable is getting pinched somewhere. If the light still acts up, I will then send it back and let Rick look at it. I need to find a fuse to use for the hot wire. i have the one fuse I am using for my autometer gauges, so i want to use a different one.

UCBeau

Like Bob said, I'm having the same issues and after having two knowledgable car people install and reinstall it, I believe the unit is defective. No one else's car did that out of maybe 10 shift lights installed over the past few days. I'll keep looking into this thread though, to see if anyone has a way I can avoid having to deal with sending it back to Raptor and waiting for a new light.

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I'll keep you posted. Rick from raptor said that they had an instance that if the cable gets pinched it will cause inermittent reseting of the light. That is why I am going to splice out the hot and gnd early and install thme at the fuse box. this way i don't have long hot and gnd wires.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
you all should install it in another car to see if it does the same thing...that would indicate either the light or the wiring is faulty...

UCBeau

Yea I might give that a try too. At this point I just wish the damn thing worked like on everyone else's car that had one put on this weekend.

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
well i spliced out the hot and gnd wires right under the driver's dash last night. I wired the hot into fuse 15(convertible top control, i have a coupe) with an add a circuit. I then wired gnd to the bolt right beside the fuse box.

I drove around alst night and this morning to work and i did not get the reset light sequence. So i think i fixed the issue. my best guess is that soemwhere in the long cable my gnd or hot wire was pinched, or soem of the wire strands broke, causing the intermittence.

UCBeau

sorry to resurrect this thread but much has happened since last time I posted. Raptor sent out a new light, it was installed, same problem. The ground was re-checked, and the power wire was spliced into a hot wire out of the fuse box. The light was tested at 3000 RPM in the shop, and worked fine. However, once set to 6000 and on the street, the problem resumed. The reset or startup sequence comes on at seemingly random times as long as I'm accelerating hard or decelerating hard. Seeing as the ground is set right, the power wire is set right, and the switches are set right, we thought it might be a tach driver issue. However that was also changed and the result is the same. The light still doesn't do what it does in everyone else's car. :(

UCBeau

yup, very weird. i'll email raptor tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. the car still drives great, no issues at all, and everyone else's shift lights work fine in their cars. it's very frustrating.

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Hmm. try running the gnd wire into the fuse box as well. i ran both hot and gnd to the fuse box, and only kept the signal wire long. Rick from Raptor told me the only way you get the start sequence is to lose power. So it is either your hot or gnd.

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
on my fuse box there is a bolt at the corner closest to the drivers side door (corner farthest away from radio and firewall....i backed out that bolt, put a connector on the wire, and tightened it back up...works great.

Users who are viewing this thread