Ranger V8 conversion

Clementeunknown

I just got my hands on a 99 single cab Ford Ranger. I wanted to ask how much of a head ache would it be to transplant a SC Lightning/Harley engine into it? Has this been done before? Links would be great. Thanks

Last edited:

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
It could be done. I'd think its much easier to do a 5.0L swap though.

Traction would not be your friend....

SVT did that and called it "Lightning Bolt"! It was a monster. I think it would be a whole lot easier and more friendly with just a 5.0L swap. Get a nice HCI 5.0 in there and you would have a defiente fun toy. I have seen a video of a 5.0 swap ranger absolutely rape a Ram SRT-10.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
SVT did that and called it "Lightning Bolt"! It was a monster. I think it would be a whole lot easier and more friendly with just a 5.0L swap. Get a nice HCI 5.0 in there and you would have a defiente fun toy. I have seen a video of a 5.0 swap ranger absolutely rape a Ram SRT-10.

Lightning Bolt FTW! I believe that truck ran mid - hi 12's :rockon:

lightningbolt3.JPG

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If you want to have something cheap, easy (relatively), and fun just drop a healthy 5.0 in it. Mod motors are so wide that they don't fit very well at all in a Ranger.

cam302

89 vert
Established Member
A guy a know wants to get a 4x4 ranger and some how make it a 4wheel drive full time and drop a 03/04 cobra in to it with irs and all

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
A friend of mine put a 351 into his ranger...and he had to mod the heck out of the thing to get it to fit. Good luck...

AAG

Established Member
It will be a pain in the ass to get that motor into a Ranger. Like everyone else has said go with a 5.0

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
Lightning Bolt FTW! I believe that truck ran mid - hi 12's :rockon:

lightningbolt3.JPG

that was due to some serious traction problems. You had to roll into the throttle even less than the Lightning or you would roast the 345's that thing had on the back. Lets see, a few more ponies and torque than the L and 1200lbs lighter....:rockon::eek:

Users who are viewing this thread