Ran out of fuel on the dyno...have some questions

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Bumping your fuel pressure to "Extend" your range is NOT the way to achieve HP goals. It is a Band Aid at best!

By doing this you put extra strain on the pumps and they will fail faster. You are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I recommend running lower fuel pressures and keeping the pumps happy.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Bumping your fuel pressure to "Extend" your range is NOT the way to achieve HP goals. It is a Band Aid at best!

By doing this you put extra strain on the pumps and they will fail faster. You are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I recommend running lower fuel pressures and keeping the pumps happy.

You do realize the majority of fuel pumps operate on a higher pressure until they reach some type of regulator right? So the pump will put out say 60psi until it hits the regulator in the engine bay that kicks it down to whatever you have it set at.

So I dont see how running higher fuel pressure is straining the pumps. LSX motors are set at 59psi but they dont have pump failures anymore often then cobras with 39psi.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
You do realize the majority of fuel pumps operate on a higher pressure until they reach some type of regulator right? So the pump will put out say 60psi until it hits the regulator in the engine bay that kicks it down to whatever you have it set at.

So I dont see how running higher fuel pressure is straining the pumps. LSX motors are set at 59psi but they dont have pump failures anymore often then cobras with 39psi.
Your theory on how pumps are rated is flawed. Check what psi Walbro pumps are rated at for example.

So are Coyote motors, but the pumps are way underrated and are set up for longevity. Most aftermarket pumps are set to full. Running them with elevated pressures only shortens their life and heats the fuel. Diminishing return for skimping on injectors is not something I buy into. Sorry.

Proper size injectors with proper size pumps will last much longer with less issues than bumping them up to high pressure just so you "Can" run a cheap injector.

I can only offer advice. Take it for what you will.

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
i have NEVER had a pump fail in a high pressure system (base of 60 or greater).. I have guys who have been running my tunes at 60psi for 10yrs with no issues..

as one of the posters said, GM runs there fuel systems at 60psi... just my $.02 of tuning well over 1000cars

itSSlow98

Established Member
i have NEVER had a pump fail in a high pressure system (base of 60 or greater).. I have guys who have been running my tunes at 60psi for 10yrs with no issues..

as one of the posters said, GM runs there fuel systems at 60psi... just my $.02 of tuning well over 1000cars

The pumps in these output higher psi then 60 is the point I was trying to make to him. Vettes have a pressure regulator in the fuel filter that kicks it down to 60 so it obviously can't output less then that. It's not the pressure that hurts them its heat most of the time.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator

Well then you did what I would never do over 1000 times then.

The pumps in these output higher psi then 60 is the point I was trying to make to him. Vettes have a pressure regulator in the fuel filter that kicks it down to 60 so it obviously can't output less then that. It's not the pressure that hurts them its heat most of the time.
What you both are seeming to miss is that most people on here are NOT running GM stock pumps at stock flow with stock pressures. Most run Walbro pumps or something similar in design.

When you run higher base pressure, fuel flow falls off and the pump becomes less efficient. Plain and simple.

Walbro_Aftermarket_Catalog_2013 :read:

Raising fuel pressure is a Band Aid for proper size injectors.

Raising fuel pressure is a HACK at best.

just my $.02 of building cars over the last 25+ years!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
i dont think Ford got the memo either since the new coyote stuff is 55psi base fuel pressure..

Oh well, we can agree to disagree..
It's all good Bob. You are one of the FEW in this country that truly understands tuning properly. This is just one thing I do not agree 100% with. That's all.

I just like to over build and over engineer for longevity.

And it's OK to disagree. That's what makes this world go around! :beer:

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
It's all good Bob. You are one of the FEW in this country that truly understands tuning properly. This is just one thing I do not agree 100% with. That's all.

I just like to over build and over engineer for longevity.

And it's OK to disagree. That's what makes this world go around! :beer:

thank you for the kind words..

i just like to run elevated fuel pressure.. i feel it produces a better spray pattern etc... even alot of the alcohol cars i tune/work with run well over 120psi pressures at WOT.. if you build a fuel system that can easily support the HP, then the extra pressure is not an issue.. back in the old days of FFW, the SSO cars only had 83lbs injectors available and we ran 100psi base pressure to support the HP.. anyhow, glad we could keep this civil.

Users who are viewing this thread