ran car thru a touchless car wash then started bogging on the way home??

vetteeatinsnake

First or last baby!
Established Member
I drove my car thru a touchless car wash tonight and when I pulled out it started wanting to bog in all gears and pretty much acted like it didn't want to go. after driving about 3 miles it just completely cleared up and drove perfectly. What could cause this? Since getting it tuned it idles rough upon startup then evens out at about 1k, which is a little high. other then that there have been no driveability issues since the tune two saturdays ago. What do you guys think?
Thanks!
-Hunter

vetteeatinsnake

First or last baby!
Established Member
Thats about what I was thinkin. Since it cleared up should I worry anymore about it? I've heard stories about water getting in an engine and it never usually ends well. Thanks for the response man!

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Thats about what I was thinkin. Since it cleared up should I worry anymore about it? I've heard stories about water getting in an engine and it never usually ends well. Thanks for the response man!

Unless you submerged the filter in water, I wouldn't worry about hydro locking. Take the filter out and set it in the sun and take some MAF cleaner and spray it down. Reinstall filter after like an hour or so, or whenever dry.

itSSlow98

Established Member
They usually have high pressure jets that hit the undercarriage and I bet it made its way to the air filter.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Do you have a RAI intake and have you modified your hood vents by removing the water shield on the bottom? If so take some aluminum foil and wrap it around the top of the filter before you go in next time and shut the car off while it's washing.

If you have a CAI I would just stay out of the autowash.

ReefBlueCoupe

Established Member
Automatic car washes = worst idea ever. I don't even take my beaters through them. Trim/antennas can get ripped off. Paint can get blown off. The brush types completely f-up paint. Water can get in places it shouldn't. Just bad news all around.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They usually have high pressure jets that hit the undercarriage and I bet it made its way to the air filter.

That was exactly what I was thinking. And a reason why I never ran my '03 Cobra through a touchless wash. Nor would I do it with my present car. If you have no access to a hose (ie. an apartment complex), you can go to a regular hand-spray wash, fill your bucket with soap and water, and wash your car by hand (rinse with the wand). You'll spend a few more quarters, but it's worth it. JMO.

vetteeatinsnake

First or last baby!
Established Member
I have a pressure washer and anything you could ever need to clean a car. I have been usin this car wash for a while now but this has never happened. Plus i like the whole touchless deal. Wash mitts and chamois leave swirls and fine scratches.

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
Second that... possibly got the Air Filter or Maf wet or condensation from the water may have caused the MAF to act funny.

hotcobra03

Established Member
ive had issues with o2 harness cracking,hitting puddles would cause issue like yours,,when getting wet,same thing rev it up or push it and issue would clear itself,you can hose just back of engine let get wet and see if it happens again

anthonyg

Established Member
Had a similar problem after I rinsed off the engine a while ago, it turned out that some water got down around the spark plugs and caused a miss fire on the right and left last cylinders. Just a thought for ya. Good luck.

keith89

Established Member
Automatic car washes = worst idea ever. I don't even take my beaters through them. Trim/antennas can get ripped off. Paint can get blown off. The brush types completely f-up paint. Water can get in places it shouldn't. Just bad news all around.

...thread title says touchless car wash.
I've had to take mine through a touchless while living in an apartment complex. Never had an issue except in the winter when the exit would ice up and my car would start sliding while going through the blower. lol
Fore vents but i have a rai with a heat shield so the filter was protected. Also I always turned the car off while it was being sprayed. I would take it back to my apt a few miles away and wax it each time.

I agree even touchless carwashes aren't a good idea but they're better than the one with brushes or nothing at all. The touchless just strip a lot of wax off every time.

ReefBlueCoupe

Established Member
...thread title says touchless car wash....
The touchless just strip a lot of wax off every time.

I see you can read as well as I can ;). That's why I said automatic car washes aren't a good idea. Automatic can be touchless or the brush/belt type.

What you don't get in paint damage from brushes or big, dirt filled cloth/foam belts (you think they stop the car wash to clean off the belts after billy bob takes his Cherokee through after a day at the trails? NOPE.) beating the shit out of your paint and trim, you get in harsh chemicals that are no good for your finish when you use a touchless wash. As you mentioned, they do strip wax off. They are also not doing your clearcoat any favors. It takes some real potent concoctions to remove dirt and brake dust with water pressure alone.

Not to mention, has anyone ever seen a car get completely clean after an automatic car wash? No. There are still dirty spots, especially on the back of the car where the brushes can't get to as well. What about in the lugnut holes and between wheel spokes? Still dirty. You can spot these cars anywhere you go. Stop being lazy and wash the damn thing at home. It's easier on the finish, the trim, and looks much better when you are done because you actually get the entire car clean.

Someone mentioned fine scratches from wash mitts and chamois'. Therein is your problem. Try microfiber for washing, drying, and waxing. It's not an expensive thing to do. You will have better results with microfiber if your current way of washing is scratching your paint. Also use two buckets and use a grimeguard in the bottom of them. Use different washing tools for different parts of the car. For example you don't want to wash your paint with the same mitt or towel that you're using to wash your wheels, exhaust, or lower rocker panels with.

Last edited:

keith89

Established Member
I see you can read as well as I can ;). That's why I said automatic car washes aren't a good idea. Automatic can be touchless or the brush/belt type.

What you don't get in paint damage from brushes or big, dirt filled cloth/foam belts (you think they stop the car wash to clean off the belts after billy bob takes his Cherokee through after a day at the trails? NOPE.) beating the shit out of your paint and trim, you get in harsh chemicals that are no good for your finish when you use a touchless wash. As you mentioned, they do strip wax off. They are also not doing your clearcoat any favors. It takes some real potent concoctions to remove dirt and brake dust with water pressure alone.

Not to mention, has anyone ever seen a car get completely clean after an automatic car wash? No. There are still dirty spots, especially on the back of the car where the brushes can't get to as well. What about in the lugnut holes and between wheel spokes? Still dirty. You can spot these cars anywhere you go. Stop being lazy and wash the damn thing at home. It's easier on the finish, the trim, and looks much better when you are done because you actually get the entire car clean.

Someone mentioned fine scratches from wash mitts and chamois'. Therein is your problem. Try microfiber for washing, drying, and waxing. It's not an expensive thing to do. You will have better results with microfiber if your current way of washing is scratching your paint. Also use two buckets and use a grimeguard in the bottom of them. Use different washing tools for different parts of the car. For example you don't want to wash your paint with the same mitt or towel that you're using to wash your wheels, exhaust, or lower rocker panels with.

the point of my post is that your comment on brushed automated car washes is irrelevant to the OP.

vetteeatinsnake

First or last baby!
Established Member
everything thats being said about ways to wash a car, i already know. I work for an automotive reconditioning company. even washing with a microfiber mitt can leave swirls and very fine scratches from rubbing tiny pieces of dirt around. my car sits in the garage and doesn't get driven in rain or have a chance to actually get dirty, so I really have no need to use a mitt or anything like that on it. and when I use this car wash i do the basic cheap wash which only sprays the soap on the car. I'm very familiar with chemicals that are used in car washes and their effects on a clearcoat finish. My only reason for posting this thread was to get some insite on what wouldve caused the car to act as it did directly after the wash.

Users who are viewing this thread